Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #511
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanan View Post
The first thing my eye focuses on is the red light, and then the background of the streaky stars finally coming back to the lighthouse itself and then the rocks. The main thing I'd try is to get the viewers eye on that lighthouse a bit sooner by cropping a bit since the streaky stars become almost like a pattern....which is a good thing just right now it dominates with over half of the composition. Just moving the screen up and down for rough crops you have a lot of room to play with. Even with half the area from the top of the lighthouse to the top of the frame cropped off there still is enough of that sky to keep that pattern you have going, along with still giving enough room so the lighthouse doesn't seem cropped in since too close of one can make it feel a little uneasy.

To keep the aspect ratio you'll have to crop some horizontally....leaving a bit of ocean to the right is key so then it becomes the balancing act of where in the frame you want the lighthouse. There's a minimum amount of the sea that you'd want to keep as to not have an uneasy crop like I talked about before (basically where the viewer is looking for more content and then suddenly cut off, leaving that buffer can be key) but otherwise it's what looks best if you want to give this crop idea a go.

The other thing I'd try out is making the image a little brighter especially in the mid tones (use a tool like curves) to bring out the lighthouse itself. Right now that snow is a bit dark and while bringing it to day time levels would probably be too much going somewhere in the middle could help.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 11:35 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #512
Klasjm
R100gs

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Klasjm and Kaanan would it be OK if I try out some crops of your images and post the results?
Looking at these images I see some compositions that I think you might like.
Crop away

Klasjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #513
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klasjm View Post
Crop away

Cool, will do later on after I hopefully get some more sleep, got 3 hours early on and have been up (and at least productive) since. But quick question, what are you using to add your watermark? If you have an opacity option try taking it down a bit, I'm down around 15-25% usually which is really low (I'm trying to just have it in there for protection more than marketing) but even at 50 It'll still be easy to read but wont grab the viewers attention away from the image. You might need to go with a black one for images like this though to show better, I have a file with both B&W watermarks to put on an image as the last step of my PP.

And here's a fun pic I took awhile back with an inmate that shows it over something other than a solid background:

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 03:21 AM
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #514
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,026
Quote:
Cool, will do later on after I hopefully get some more sleep, got 3 hours early on and have been up (and at least productive) since. But quick question, what are you using to add your watermark? If you have an opacity option try taking it down a bit, I'm down around 15-25% usually which is really low (I'm trying to just have it in there for protection more than marketing) but even at 50 It'll still be easy to read but wont grab the viewers attention away from the image. You might need to go with a black one for images like this though to show better, I have a file with both B&W watermarks to put on an image as the last step of my PP.

And here's a fun pic I took awhile back with an inmate that shows it over something other than a solid background:

That's quite a nice background.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #515
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,438
Quote:
Crop away
Is your monitor calibrated?

Over here, the riding gear is solid black, in the last three images. That's either a conscious choice for a more high-contrast look in post processing, or an issue with shadow detail retention at the exposures you selected.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #516
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
That's quite a nice background.
Who would have thought they made such great tables?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #517
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Crop away
For one of them I changed the aspect ratio to 16:9

I was looking at em on my laptop initially which runs a bit bright, on my desktop they do look underexposed, and going into curves there's not much on the highlight side of it. One thing to remember is the camera is shooting for middle grey so when it see's all that white it'll underexpose.

Also by having the snow whiter the rider (especially when wearing black like this one) will pop more. I made an adjustment in curves and it looks like this:

The challenge being to shoot it so the snow is near this while keeping detail.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 01:09 PM
Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #518
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
The challenge being to shoot it so the snow is near this while keeping detail.

Snow is hard.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #519
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 584
Sunset at Tanah Lt Bali.

My first real outing using the Lee Big Stopper.

Nikon D800E and 35/1.4. 10 Minute exposure

Tanah Lot D800E DSC3435-2 by rpo83, on Flickr

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #520
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpo83 View Post
Sunset at Tanah Lt Bali.

My first real outing using the Lee Big Stopper.

Nikon D800E and 35/1.4. 10 Minute exposure

Tanah Lot D800E DSC3435-2 by rpo83, on Flickr
I really like the colors and the general gentle feeling of the whole composition. The 2 things I'd try are a higher ISO/shorter exposure because while the effect of the motion softening everything is nice this takes a step or 2 where I'd ideally want it making some of the clouds look well mushy for lack of a better term.

The other thing is would you be able to take that shot from a location without the bush in the lower right? My eye is drawn to that due to it being busy with all the leaves which doesn't really fit that soft and easy feel of the rest of the composition.

Also I think you've got a dirty lens, there is a spot in the upper left hand corner that is a lot bigger than anything I've seen on a sensor before, though that's still a possibility. Try another lens and if it's still there run the self cleaning cycle a few times and hopefully that'll take care of it. These FF cameras are like vacuums sucking in all the dust they can.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #521
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Just processed this last week. Been sitting in my camera for over 2 months

D600 50mm F1.8G

High-Country-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #522
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
No problem, oh and Klasjm and Kaanan would it be OK if I try out some crops of your images and post the results? Looking at these images I see some compositions that I think you might like.
No problem.

I was using a D90 with a Nikkor 24-70 2.8.

The exposure was 30 seconds over about 15-20 minutes, stacked.
Kaanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #523
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanan View Post
No problem.

I was using a D90 with a Nikkor 24-70 2.8.

The exposure was 30 seconds over about 15-20 minutes, stacked.
Does it give you an image file or make you a new RAW? And which one does it take as the input? I'm wondering because the tough part of this image is the light on the lighthouse, when I opened up curves I saw this:

That little blip in the end is the light but everything else is pretty far back in the mid tones. If you could burn it down/mask and bring down exposure in something like lightroom slightly that would help give some room to bring everything else up.

Before I post it looking at my crop I think I went a tiny bit too far but it'll give you an idea:

The thing I was struggling with was between leaving that extra bit in and the effect it had to the position of the lighthouse. Right now it's off center enough to be obviously that way. But as you get closer to the center the fact that it's close but not perfect will be something that makes it a little uneasy in some cases.

I'll admit a personal bias against absolutely centered focal points, I really only like to go to them when that's the main part of the photo and in a way I want to smack the viewer in the head and yell LOOK AT THIS!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #524
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post
Just processed this last week. Been sitting in my camera for over 2 months

D600 50mm F1.8G

High-Country-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
Don't worry about it, I've got work sitting on mine for 8 months right now, and back in the film days developed some rolls 2 years old. It just happens that way sometimes. It's better to go and process your images when you're really feeling into it than just to get it done no matter how long that takes (within reason).

The big thing I'd watch out for is that my eyes are going to the trees first which doesn't seem right seeing how great of a landscape you have there to work with. With them being in front, having complicated shapes/lighting with the leaves, and in a decent chunk of the frame those 2 trees will grab the attention.

Using something in the foreground like that can add to the landscape, the balancing act is having it due that while not attract away from the meat of the composition if you will.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #525
Buck760
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I posted this one on another thread - taken with my D50 early on a cold January morning in San Diego. Appreciate the input in advance.

Buck760 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: