Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #556
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I have a fairly new MacBook and a dual core processor.
The vast majority of my photos are of the wonderful landscapes here in the southwest and of the nature and wildlife therein. I also have a number of trips with photos posted in Ride Reports and galleries of my volunteer work on archaeological surveys.
I plan to get the best lenses I can afford over time and then an updated body when my fortunes improve. I'd like to move into large format to accommodate the huge landscapes I see almost every day.
Then you should go for the D3200 since you're going to want the resolution. The other thing to look out for in the future are used wide angle and ultra wides. I'd recommend going used as DX prices have been going down on that market with all the new FX cameras coming out (DX = crop FX = full frame). Even if you do go to FX eventually buying used will mean you likely wont lose much money on them when it's time to upgrade. KEH, Adorama, and B&H are all good places to look online since they have good selections and warranty their used glass for 1-3 months.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #557
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Here is one I took over the weekend I though came out pretty good.

Nikon V1/10mm

bracky72 screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 06:13 AM
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #558
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

I'll be back for the critiques tomorrow....today as busy as hell so I can't put any real time into them.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #559
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
The other thing to look out for in the future are used wide angle and ultra wides. I'd recommend going used
Second this. I used a Sigma 10-20 with great success on a crop camera, and the older version is very reasonable used (it got an update with a different style focus motor a few years back). The Tokina 11-16 is well regarded, too.

Oh, and add a macro lens.

There, I just spent your next 600-1000 dollars.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #560
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 546
Might some of you ADV photogs have a recommendation for a decent (and not terribly expensive) tripod? I now have a d7000 and the old crappy Kodak tripod I was given for my birthday thirteen years ago just ain't cutting it. The camera body alone is nearly too heavy. Add a 70-300 and forget it.

Also, thanks for this awesome thread. I'll add some photos once I have something decent to contribute. Still learning the new camera.

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #561
ArcticaMT6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I have a modest tax return coming and I think I can squeak out some dough for a camera. I have a Canon S90 P&S but I'm growing impatient with its limitations, especially here in the SW.
I can pull together a max of 500.00 for now and it will have to do. I've been looking at the entry level Nikons, especially refurbished models.
B & H has a factory refurbished D3100 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses for a little less than 500.00.
My local Craig's List has a used D70 with an 18-70mm and 28-200mm lenses for under 400.00.
B&H also has a factory refurbished D3200 with an 18-55mm lens for a little under 500.00.
I'm about done with researching cameras. I'd much rather be out there photographing New Mexico's beauty so a decision must be made.
Anyone have any experience with any of the cameras I've listed?
Check out the Canon Rebels as well. You might be able to find a T3i for $500 somewhere.
ArcticaMT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #562
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,553
used d90 and a 35...may cost you a few extra bucks, but worth it.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #563
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-Dan View Post
Couple of My favorites from some bike trips.

north shore trip 2011 085 by GB-Dan, on Flickr

north shore trip 2011 138 by GB-Dan, on Flickr

2012 bike trip 036 by GB-Dan, on Flickr
I'm on my laptop so I'm going to focus mostly on composition issues since the screen isn't the best.

1) You have a lot of negative space up top, and cut off some of the bottom. There are ways to utilize that space with the composition but horizontally the main subject is dead center and overall it looks like the top half is kinda just there.

2) Similar but not as severe, right now it seems like centering your subjects might be a pattern, I personally try to avoid this unless I am really trying to smack the viewer with the subject. I wouldn't worry about the rule of thirds or any of that stuff especially now, just have fun and see what works. Memory cards are dirt cheap so just shoot away!

3) That lens flare is tough, I'd want to crop it out but then the lack of the trees kills the nice balance it has. Try putting your hand out of view of the lens but shielding it to stop it from happening.

Also I'd try to add some more contrast, there are some parts that are blown out and not much is near black, with the majority being on the lighter side. If you have photoshop or GIMP just bring up curves and play around.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #564
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
Here is one I took over the weekend I though came out pretty good.

Nikon V1/10mm

I like the composition the only thing I might try is going down a little bit to change the perspective slightly. But on the flip side while it's nice it's a somewhat common one so the viewers reaction will likely be that's nice but not really grab them.

What is showing up is beyond your control and are some limitations from the V1 (noise & blown highlights)....what ISO is it at? And how do you like the 1 system?

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 01:23 AM
Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #565
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
That was at 3200. I'm only just learning some of the finer points of photography but I really like the V1. Of course my favorite lenses I had to buy separate from the initial kit but all in all I'm glad I chose it.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #566
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,496
I suck at photography. I have almost no idea of what I'm doing. My greatest talent seems to be taking really bad pictures while the camera is moving just below warp speed. Trying to focus makes my eyes (well the good one anyway) twitch like a rabbit in heat so I just wing it and fire blind. I'm pretty sure the rule of thirds does not apply to people in my state. My pictures suck so bad I'm thinking about applying for an art grant.

Naturally this makes me want a more expensive camera and lens.

I'm going to buy a Nikon D7100 with the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 ED. Will that suck?

Notice I didn't ask if I would still suck as that's a given. I'm asking if that combo of equipment would suck.

I might upgrade to a FX body later so I can take really bad pictures with a really good camera. That is the reason I'm mixing a FX lens with a DX body now.

Any insults and/or suggestings are welcomed.

I've taken about 90 bazilion pictures. I've found four that hopefully won't make your eyes bleed.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 03:48 PM
thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #567
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperpilot View Post
I suck at photography. I have almost no idea of what I'm doing. My greatest talent seems to be taking really bad pictures while the camera is moving just below warp speed. Trying to focus makes my eyes (well the good one anyway) twitch like a rabbit in heat so I just wing it and fire blind. I'm pretty sure the rule of thirds does not apply to people in my state. My pictures suck so bad I'm thinking about applying for an art grant.

Naturally this makes me want a more expensive camera and lens.

[SIZE=3]
I'm going to buy a Nikon D7100 with the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 ED[SIZE=3]. Will that suck?

[SIZE=3]Notice I didn't ask if I would still suck[SIZE=3] as that's a given. I'm asking if [SIZE=3]that combo [SIZE=3]of equ[SIZE=3]ipment would suck.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]I might upgrade to a FX bo[SIZE=3]dy later so I can take really bad pictures with a really good camera. That is the reason I'm [SIZE=3]mixing a FX lens with a DX body now.
The D7100 looks pretty kick ass, I don't know how the dynamic range will be but for high ISO it looks to be a stop or less behind my D700 (FX), and the detail is great. The one thing I'd be worried about in this package is your lack of wide angle since that 24 will be a 36 equivalent. For 250-400 depending how nice you want to go you could get a nice used DX ultra wide zoom. A lot of people have moved to FX so those prices have gone down and if you buy from a reputable place with a warranty you'll get a good lens and likely be able to sell it for most of what you paid.

For the cloud shots around you even if the dynamic range is up there near the top you'll likely need a little more so a mild HDR, not cartoonish like some you see but just enough to keep the clouds from being blown out could work.

And it looks like we shoot some similar things so if you want next time I'm down in VA I could swing down there and give some pointers for the camera/shooting.

Quote:
The tree's outline which kinda mimics a cloud is cool, just you need to focus on it more. When I first looked at the picture it was the general scene and then that hit me.

Quote:
You should try playing with curves on this one to add a bit more contrast....and doing this could help bring out the details in the clouds a lot more.

Quote:
I'm guessing you burned down the background here? They're almost centered but not quite which makes it a little "uneasy".

Quote:
Clouds, clouds, clouds, something you guys have a ton of down there and I'm jealous of.

My advice is just shoot, shoot, and shoot, (well and buy some HUGE memory cards if you get a 24 MP camera like the D7100) and try more things that don't seem like they would work. Right now you are centering your subject a lot which can work but just try moving the camera around a bit and see what happens. It's the best way because you are in a way learning on your own so the images you get also are more unique since you're not just taking a scene and doing say the rule of 3rds or another standard composition technique.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #568
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
The D7100 looks pretty kick ass, I don't know how the dynamic range will be but for high ISO it looks to be a stop or less behind my D700 (FX), and the detail is great. The one thing I'd be worried about in this package is your lack of wide angle since that 24 will be a 36 equivalent. For 250-400 depending how nice you want to go you could get a nice used DX ultra wide zoom. A lot of people have moved to FX so those prices have gone down and if you buy from a reputable place with a warranty you'll get a good lens and likely be able to sell it for most of what you paid.

For the cloud shots around you even if the dynamic range is up there near the top you'll likely need a little more so a mild HDR, not cartoonish like some you see but just enough to keep the clouds from being blown out could work.

And it looks like we shoot some similar things so if you want next time I'm down in VA I could swing down there and give some pointers for the camera/shooting.

The tree's outline which kinda mimics a cloud is cool, just you need to focus on it more. When I first looked at the picture it was the general scene and then that hit me.

You should try playing with curves on this one to add a bit more contrast....and doing this could help bring out the details in the clouds a lot more.

I'm guessing you burned down the background here? They're almost centered but not quite which makes it a little "uneasy".

Clouds, clouds, clouds, something you guys have a ton of down there and I'm jealous of.

My advice is just shoot, shoot, and shoot, (well and buy some HUGE memory cards if you get a 24 MP camera like the D7100) and try more things that don't seem like they would work. Right now you are centering your subject a lot which can work but just try moving the camera around a bit and see what happens. It's the best way because you are in a way learning on your own so the images you get also are more unique since you're not just taking a scene and doing say the rule of 3rds or another standard composition technique.

Thanks for the comments and tips!

I'm also worried about not having a wide angle lens. But instead of buying something now I think I'm going to save a bit longer and buy the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8G ED. The "Holy Trinity" is my goal so I'd like to focus any money I spend towards that. Afterwards if my wife hasn't divorced me I want to load up on primes.

Anyway that's the plan of the moment. Give me 20 minutes and it will probably change.

Oooh... HDR.... I didn't have a clue. Something new to try. THANKS!

You were right about how I took the flower photo. I liked the color and contrast effect but the image doesn't seem quite right to me either. To be honest I didn't really take much time to think about it or set it up. That day I was in my spastic dial twisting button slapping blurry eyed quantity is better than quality mode.

I'm going to ATTEMPT to get away to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway from South to North this year. I've warned my boss I intend to disappear for a week this summer. Maybe if our schedules match up we could get together when I hit the northern end.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #569
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Need help with a crop.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #570
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Need help with a crop.

How attached are you to the singer on the right?

The other singer and bassist look to have much more emotive faces and the one of the right also has very noticeable motion blur on her hand. I'd cut her out of this one and find one later on where it's more flattering.

For that composition I had to cut her off so it isn't positioned ideally but:

There's also a tiny bit of the light visible but it's not grabbing too much attention and going below that would take off too much negative space.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: