Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #571
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
How attached are you to the singer on the right?
A bit. She's my best friend.

Thank you, the crop makes sense. I shot about 150 photos tonight, in a quick 5 minute run through them, this seemed like one of the better ones with both singers. I'll sleep over it.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #572
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,245
I quit stalling and ordered the D7100, the 24-70mm f/2.8 plus UV and circular polarizing filters.

Should have everything by the end of next week.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #573
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Just got my D7100 last night. Looking forward to playing with it. Only pictures of my feet so far....
Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #574
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratlanta View Post
Just got my D7100 last night. Looking forward to playing with it. Only pictures of my feet so far....
Nice!

Mine shipped this morning. I should have it by Wednesday of next week. I can't wait to take pictures of my feet!

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #575
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,667
Can't believe i just saw this thread, really need to get out of the basement more I to use to post on dgrin, but seems unless your in the 'in crowd' you don't get a lot of responses on critique.

Anyway, here a few of my favorites and would like some honest opinions on what technically could be improved upon.

This one was shot with my old D50

These few with my D80

And this one with my D300 - i know this one is a bit noisy, but still i like it. I bumped the iso up on this one quite a bit (more than i normally shoot at). I've been waiting on the D800, but think i'm going to just get the 700... thoughts on that decision?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #576
Flood
F5lood.

I have a problem on my hands. Here's what I just got from a friend.
I really don't need to start shooting film.

Maybe just one roll...

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #577
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
I have a problem on my hands. Here's what I just got from a friend.
I really don't need to start shooting film.

Maybe just one roll...

Do you have a Costco membership? If you're shooting just for fun they'll develop and do 6 MP scans (no prints) for under 5 bucks a roll.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #578
Flood
F5lood.

No Costco over here.
But I reckon I'll just have the film developed and make my own scans; I work in an archive and have a flatbed scanner with film scanning capabilities at hand.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #579
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Mom and Dad were big-time into photography in the mid-70s. There's still at least one K-1000 running around. I think the 4x3 Mamiya with a pistol grip is still in the house too. Youngest brother got most of Dad's collection of older/antique cameras.

Me? I suck at taking pics. S'why I let the ex- do it. She was good at it.

M
Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #580
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,351
Quote:
Then you should go for the D3200 since you're going to want the resolution. The other thing to look out for in the future are used wide angle and ultra wides. I'd recommend going used as DX prices have been going down on that market with all the new FX cameras coming out (DX = crop FX = full frame). Even if you do go to FX eventually buying used will mean you likely wont lose much money on them when it's time to upgrade. KEH, Adorama, and B&H are all good places to look online since they have good selections and warranty their used glass for 1-3 months.

The refurbished D3200 and D5100 cameras are selling at Adorama for almost the same price. I've read multiple reviews of both units, which doesn't seem to point to a clear winner.
My tax return will be arriving soon and I'm ready to order something.
Thoughts?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #581
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
The refurbished D3200 and D5100 cameras are selling at Adorama for almost the same price. I've read multiple reviews of both units, which doesn't seem to point to a clear winner.
My tax return will be arriving soon and I'm ready to order something.
Thoughts?
For landscape work the D3200 still would be better, but other than the resolution boost (which you'll only see with a nice lens on it) it'll only be slight increases.

Do you have a camera store nearby? They are different sizes so I'd go and see which one fits in your hand better.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #582
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,351
Quote:
For landscape work the D3200 still would be better, but other than the resolution boost (which you'll only see with a nice lens on it) it'll only be slight increases.

Do you have a camera store nearby? They are different sizes so I'd go and see which one fits in your hand better.
Landscape shots are most of my photos, especially here in New Mexico.
I found a 3100 at the local Best Buy and the size was about right for my old carpenter's hands.
If I understand the reviews correctly, there is a slight resolution boost with the 3200. The 5100 has the swing-out viewing screen which strikes me as vulnerable to breakage and I don't shoot video anyway but it seems as if the menu is a little easier to navigate.
Neither has AF in the body but I think getting that would up the purchase price quite a bit.
Spending money on good glass is really tempting but I just sold my bike and I MUST buy another one soon.
I took this one yesterday with my S90 at Pecos National Monument. You can see the limitations of the camera in the size and color balance but it's still a great little camera.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #583
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Landscape shots are most of my photos, especially here in New Mexico.
I found a 3100 at the local Best Buy and the size was about right for my old carpenter's hands.
If I understand the reviews correctly, there is a slight resolution boost with the 3200. The 5100 has the swing-out viewing screen which strikes me as vulnerable to breakage and I don't shoot video anyway but it seems as if the menu is a little easier to navigate.
Neither has AF in the body but I think getting that would up the purchase price quite a bit.
Spending money on good glass is really tempting but I just sold my bike and I MUST buy another one soon.
I took this one yesterday with my S90 at Pecos National Monument. You can see the limitations of the camera in the size and color balance but it's still a great little camera.

You don't need to spend too much, I got a great bargain on a 18-50 F2.8 Sigma for 175. Not the sharpest lens ever but way better than a kit lens and stopped down a bit it'll give great results.

If you want a really good ultra wide angle they go for 300-500 used, sometimes a little cheaper. Tokina is really good at these and the Sigma 10-20 is pretty much the standard in the class.

As to the swing out LCD I don't know how the Nikon is but Olympus has done a good job in making them sturdy so it is physically possible. But it's really going to differ model to model.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #584
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SS View Post
And this one with my D300 - i know this one is a bit noisy, but still i like it. I bumped the iso up on this one quite a bit (more than i normally shoot at). I've been waiting on the D800, but think i'm going to just get the 700... thoughts on that decision?
Prepping the gear and running around before a shoot right now so I can't do a full write up on the images. But for the camera do you find yourself needing more resolution than the D300? And do you need video? If not the D700 is perfect, it's one of the most well rounded cameras out there and can do nearly anything...it's not the best anymore for anything but does it all really well. Its only real weakness is that 12 MP resolution/lack of video.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #585
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,185
Great thread!

Can I throw a few in while trying to catch up on all the fantastic tips?

FWIW, both were taken with a P&S - Canon PowerShot A720 IS. Straight out of the camera.

That camera is no longer with us. Used it all up. Currently using a Pentax W90 but thinking about adding a Canon G12 for when I actually stop and take a picture. Maybe there's a better choice in the neighborhood.

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to walk us all through this.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: