Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #46
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose
I am very new to this I would like to take some landscapes as well as some action. I have been enjoying the pics I've been taking at rallys and such but I think I want to try more.

Some of the photos I have seen in the ride report thread have blown me away.
The big thing is about what budget you are looking at then. For action shots the best AF possible is needed but that gets expensive fast, and even has multiple levels in the consumer DSLR's.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #47
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,382
I often shoot sunrise/sunset shots (since I have to work in shooting around my full time job), which means a lot of silhouette shooting. Any pointers - I'll provide a couple shots as reference:

1) Loading chute, looking into the sunrise:

2) Looking west towards the sunset:

3. Tree & Haybales @ Dusk

I have had 1 & 3 printed on metallic paper with good results, but am, again, looking for composition, exposure and editing tips.

This is fun.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #48
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 28,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
I often shoot sunrise/sunset shots (since I have to work in shooting around my full time job), which means a lot of silhouette shooting. Any pointers - I'll provide a couple shots as reference:

I have had 1 & 3 printed on metallic paper with good results, but am, again, looking for composition, exposure and editing tips.

This is fun.
composition is okay in these... i'd look at the characteristic curves if i were you(exposure). yer blacks are sunk to about zone 1.5 and i think if there were just a touch of detail in there, say, zone 2.5 to 3, i think you'd like them better. that being said, my monitor is uncalibrated, and or there may be low zonal detail in the blacks on the print that i'm unable to see.
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #49
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,962

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #50
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,364
great thread

Thank you guys for taking the time to evaluate everybody's images.

These are 3 from a calender I put together.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #51
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy

This is fun.
For the compositions I like the 1st one the most, you have this big silhouette which is clearly a main focus and then the sky as a nice background. I think this one would look best on a cloudless night or at least less distinctive since they take away from the sharp definition of the loading chute.

On the 2nd I would cut off the top of the sky it is pretty much empty space and not adding much. As for the objects there are a few with the tree, the farm equipment to the left and right of it, and the final tree cropped off the the left. None of these has dominance and are so oddly placed (some next to each other than other random distances) it doesn't grab my eye and I am darting around.

For number 3 I think if you go back to this location, have a little bit more sun, and the clouds are a bit higher, or do a slightly different angle to really have the bold black outline on the sky it would be a really nice image. Also being a bit closer would be nice since it is such a complex shape so you can have more detail.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #52
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,364
A quick crop of one of TB's

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #53
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 28,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax

nothing wrong with that, sid. then, i've a soft spot for monument valley.
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #54
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL
great thread

Thank you guys for taking the time to evaluate everybody's images.

These are 3 from a calender I put together.
1) Is nice but a pretty standard skyline image. The only thing I can really see is cropping a bit higher to get rid of the blue negative space on the bottom right.

2) I really like, for fun try turning it 90 degrees clockwise, it gives the image a very different feel.

3) I would maybe pan up a little bit since you have lots of lower negative space and basically none above. Also in this case the light trails seem to be distracting. Overall the image is a good representation of the place which I am guessing is the purpose in the calender, forgive the expression but it needs that "it" factor (be it some other angle of view, lighting, etc.) to make it really popping as a stand alone image.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #55
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
nothing wrong with that, sid. then, i've a soft spot for monument valley.
Thank you, sir.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #56
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,636
What a great bunch of photos so far. NikonsAndVstroms was a big help to me when I was trying figure a few things out before pulling the trigger on my D90 back in December. I bought the Singh Ray Vari ND Duo last month and have been playing around with it a lot. Here's one an HDR of one of the near by streams.

findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #57
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
First the technical aspects, it looks like you have 3 different light sources, florescent I am guessing on the foreground structure, incandescent for the town, and the background is natural. Each has a different temperature making the different "colors" of the light look very busy. This is a very difficult situation to make work.

Also I don't know if it was your Jpeg compression or the high ISO but their is a good bit of noise, so if it is that way in the original file set the ISO lower manually and a tripod or bracing yourself might be needed.

As for the composition it looks slightly tilted clockwise (if you have a grid you can turn on that helps a lot). And you have this interesting structure on the bottom but it's placement and the amount shown don't bring it to the forefront. I think if you tilted the camera down to just ave the structure and town it could create a stronger image. It would make stronger elements for the viewers eye to catch.
Thanks for the tips - on the ISO front, I didn't have a tripod so was trying to keep the length of exposure down which lead to pushing up the ISO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
i agree. moving the perspective down slightly would put the horizon resting at the lower edge of the upper third and create stronger leading lines/framing by the glass and hard structural elements at the bottom of the frame.
That's interesting that you both thought to get more of the structure in the frame. At the time I remember trying to get less in but now that you mention it, I can see the logic.

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #58
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Maybe a tad underexposed but the issue with an image like this is the final output. As a 50MP wall or larger sized image this would be amazing. But here many of the details don't have enough room to really make their presence felt. If you got rid of the moon or is that a star? Then it has a very watercolor feel to it currently.

This is one of the times when due to the size of your output the photograph can not fully capture the scene in front of you. This begins to get the feeling but a harsher light would really bring this. My 2 suggestions are to bring a telephoto lens next time and play with it for the landscapes, and 2 check out Galen Rowell's work and I highly recommend his book Mountain Light for you.

Here are 2 examples of "telephoto landscapes" I have made:

You just want to find that 1 detail like in the 1st image the trees as a frame, and in the 2nd the actual shapes of them on top of the mountain and use this to add to your landscape.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #59
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 17,918
I am open to criticism.
What say you about the Nikon 80-400VR as well?

Alaska 5/09
Old 02-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #60
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,382
damn it, I wish I wasn't getting ready to leave for the weekend - this has got learning opportunities written all over it. Hopefully I'll get to check in a bit.

I appreciate the input from all so far - I'm eager to hear ways to improve my shooting.

I'll leave you with a fun one to take a look at. Sunrise - subject was unintended - had planned to just take a shot of the landscape and play around with my new, at the time, graduated ND9 cokin filter pane. By the time the sun came up to the horizon, the critters had moved up front and center. lemons/lemonade. I spun the filter over and slid it up so the dark hard edge was on/just slightly above the horizon line....nothing spectacular - just makes me smile.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: