Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #631
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post
I went for a hike today up into Eldorado Canyon. This canyon is located just south of Boulder, CO and has some nice trails and a whole lot of rock climbing areas if you are into that. An old hotel was built up in the canyon in 1908 (really don't know how they built it where they did), but it burned down in 1912. The foundations and cooking hearth are still there and you can find broken pieces of porcelain dishes still around.

The weather was overcast for most of the day, so I had to get the shots as the opportunity arose, waiting for breaks in the clouds.

Shot with my D600, 50mm F1.8G lens and Series-E 28mm F2.8 lens.

Eldorado-Canyon-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Eldorado-Canyon-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Eldorado-Canyon-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Eldorado-Canyon-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
On 1 and 4 I find myself wishing they were a bit wider angle, if you're going to be shooting primes I fine the jump from 28 to 24 to be really beneficial for landscapes....and the 24 2.8 isn't too expensive around 250-350 IIRC.

For 2 you've got some sort of flare in the bottom left corner it looks like. And what really gets me in this shot is the clouds, I'd use a longer lens to focus on them and then mess around processing to try and really bring them out.

For #3 it's just not really hitting home for me, not sure exactly why but it could be seeing the road and the buildings. They stick out with the rest being all about the natural structures.

For #4 maybe take the shot lower so you get a more dynamic view of the stream. With a lot of these you're fighting against the fact that everyone has cameras so we have seen images like this countless times over so you really need to work hard to grab a viewer with something new.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #632
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
On 1 and 4 I find myself wishing they were a bit wider angle, if you're going to be shooting primes I fine the jump from 28 to 24 to be really beneficial for landscapes....and the 24 2.8 isn't too expensive around 250-350 IIRC.

For 2 you've got some sort of flare in the bottom left corner it looks like. And what really gets me in this shot is the clouds, I'd use a longer lens to focus on them and then mess around processing to try and really bring them out.

For #3 it's just not really hitting home for me, not sure exactly why but it could be seeing the road and the buildings. They stick out with the rest being all about the natural structures.

For #4 maybe take the shot lower so you get a more dynamic view of the stream. With a lot of these you're fighting against the fact that everyone has cameras so we have seen images like this countless times over so you really need to work hard to grab a viewer with something new.
Thanks for the feedback! I am thinking on ordering the Tokina 16-28 F2.8 with some of my tax refund. I am pretty lens limited right now with the Nikon (only have 4, 3 of good quality). I sure with my Takumars would have worked with the D600.

#2, that was actually my thumb. I don't have a 52mm P ring for my filter holder just yet, so I hand held my filter holder in front of the lens for that shot.

#3 didn't really work for me either, looking into the canyon from the entrance was much more impressive, but I was on my bike and my camera was hard to get to so I didn't take that photo.

#4, agree totally. I thought about installing my 9 stop ND filter and shooting a long exposure, but I wanted to get hiking.

Thanks again!

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #633
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,056
Okay so I've been playing with HDR a bit lately. Well, moreso than I normally do. Here's some of the ones I feel are good enough to post:

Thoughts/opinions?

Kind of still getting the hang of it, shooting with only 3 photos. Figuring out what scenes will work well and what scenes kinda just look like crap.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #634
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Okay so I've been playing with HDR a bit lately. Well, moreso than I normally do. Here's some of the ones I feel are good enough to post:

Thoughts/opinions?

Kind of still getting the hang of it, shooting with only 3 photos. Figuring out what scenes will work well and what scenes kinda just look like crap.
What HDR program are you using? I've tried out the NIK collection and it worked well, a lot better than the ones that come with Adobe's software. Photomatrix is the other big one I know about and is cheaper (but you only get the HDR plug in).

So for #1 there is still a bit of noise, how far apart are the shots? For HDR's I do 5 shots .7 EV from each other so those extra 2 shots especially if they were bringing out the dark sky could help.

#2 it's just not enough dynamic range, that photo would be hard as hell to get right even with HDR unless you use vastly different exposures though I've got no idea how that would look....could be a fun experiment.

#3 it's a little dull and goes from red to pink which doesn't look too natural, so I'd mess around with the processing settings more. Also for the background grab a black piece of paper and use a self timer so you can get it in the shot each time to take care of the tiny big of background to the right of the flower. It'll be a lot easier doing that then actually burning it down in post processing.

#4 the big thing here are the dust spots from your sensor, I'd take care of those ASAP. Try running the cleaner thing a few times and if that doesn't work the pocket rocket blowers are a good option....wet cleaning is a PITA or expensive to have someone else do it so it's a last resort. Also you're cropped in a little tight on the left side with the bike.

Overall you're trying something that's going to be hard to stand out in. HDR today is what selective color was 5-10 years ago, AKA everyone is doing it. So you need to play around and figure out something new. Though one thing I can say is while it looks kinda cartoon-y with color I've seen some kick ass B&W HDR's and I personally think it lends itself more to that. The other option is using HDR to make a normal-ish photo just with a little extended dynamic range, that's what I did for a client recently when I was shooting a white product on a white background.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #635
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,056
I'm using HDR to experiment around, it's not like I am going to HDR for a profession. I thought the one of the Supra turned out kinda neat.

As for the one with the KLR, those spots aren't on the sensor, it's on the lens itself. I've just been too lazy to change out the insert for a clean one

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #636
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
This is the type of photo that could say a lot as part of a series or with a bit of background but it needs something else as a stand alone image. The grass is a bit blurry in the front and taking up tons of the composition, and it says there's not much around here but the problem is the viewer sees that and moves on. While the sky is a bit more interesting so maybe moving up a bit to get some more of it would help, and also bumping the ISO if possible because it's underexposed right now. Though for that last part I'm on the laptop again so don't take it to the bank.....this thing has a great processor, decent graphics, but the screen sucks.

I just post up the pictures I love. You're stuck with me.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #637
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 589
I took this last month, Puffing Billy in Belgrave Victoria.

D800E_DSC4633FB by rpo83, on Flickr

The train crosses the lovely old trestle bridge, the only problem is that there is a car park below the bridge which is always full when the train arrives, so the framing options are limited.

I like this but i think i can do better, just can't figure out how

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #638
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I just post up the pictures I love. You're stuck with me.
No worries, I'm critiquing these from my perspective which is admittedly more on the fine art side of photography so they are are definitely skewing more to "push the edge".

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 09:03 AM
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #639
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpo83 View Post
I took this last month, Puffing Billy in Belgrave Victoria.

D800E_DSC4633FB by rpo83, on Flickr

The train crosses the lovely old trestle bridge, the only problem is that there is a car park below the bridge which is always full when the train arrives, so the framing options are limited.

I like this but i think i can do better, just can't figure out how
1 thing that might help is including more on the left side of the frame, as it's set up now it looks like there is a bunch of foliage that block the view of it so it would look like it's emerging from the forest. And you could add a little more on top as the trees are being cut off and while the smoke isn't being cropped it is pretty close to the edge.

Since you can't include anything below the current frame what about changing your perspective? Right now it looks to be close to eye level. So try getting down closer to the track. You could also zoom in on the engine and first few cars from that point and the train would look much more imposing.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #640
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,347
First few days with the Sony NEX-6. Really enjoy the compactness and ability to use some of my legacy lenses, so far I'm very pleased! Definitely a plus not dragging a Canon DSLR and L-lenses around steep terrain at 12,000 feet

A few images I've liked so far... All shot just in jpg and without much post-processing work yet (still in Peru). Happy to hear any comments or critique on images!

Ollantaytambo
Sony NEX-6
Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 super-wide heliar (Leica screw mount, Leica M-mount converter, then NEX-mount converter)

Machu Pichu
Sony NEX-6
Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 super-wide heliar

Machu Pichu
Sony NEX-6
Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens

Amazon Village
Sony NEX-6

Qosqo Highlands
Sony NEX-6
Sony 55-210mm F/4.5-6.3 OSS kit lens

Iquitos
Sony NEX-6

pfb screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 02:50 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #641
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
First few days with the Sony NEX-6. Really enjoy the compactness and ability to use some of my legacy lenses, so far I'm very pleased! Definitely a plus not dragging a Canon DSLR and L-lenses around steep terrain at 12,000 feet

A few images I've liked so far... All shot just in jpg and without much post-processing work yet (still in Peru). Happy to hear any comments or critique on images!

Ollantaytambo
Sony NEX-6
Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 super-wide heliar (Leica screw mount, Leica M-mount converter, then NEX-mount converter)

Machu Pichu
Sony NEX-6
Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 super-wide heliar

Machu Pichu
Sony NEX-6

Amazon Village
Sony NEX-6

Qosqo Highlands
Sony NEX-6
Sony 55-210mm F/4.5-6.3 OSS kit lens

Iquitos
Sony NEX-6
Some great photos there! One of the places that is on my bucket list to visit.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #642
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Welding

I had a little welding project to do and since I never shot any welding before, I though it would be a good time to experiment. So, I set up my tripod and my D600 to a 20 second timer and here's what I came up with.

It would be MUCH easier shooting someone else while they are welding, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Shot with a D600 and Nikkor 105mm F2.5 lens.

welding by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #643
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,301
What camera for daughter?

My 24 year old daughter has a damn good natural eye for composition. She takes photos on her smartphone then tunes them up with photo editing apps in a matter of seconds. I'm impressed by her skill. Anyway she wants a real camera. Most of her shots will be goofing around shots with her friends, animal shots, people and nature and I know she wants to up her game. She also loves posting on Facebook.

She doesn't need a pro DSLR with the ability to change lens, etc., just a good camera with some good features and flexibity so she can hone her skills. I'm thinking of the Nikon P520; feature rich, WiFi capable and good quality. I have always had Nikons and would like to keep it in the same family brand for gear sharing and so she can tell me how to work my Nikon :)

Comments on my choice???

Thanks in advance.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #644
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,175
I was on my Tiger heading home after a day of riding when I spotted this:

Something about the contrast, lighting and colors on the hill appealed to me so I did a quick u-turn. I parked next to a mailbox that was across the road from a solitary house.

They had dogs. They had a lot of dogs.

But lately I've become downright pig-headed when I see something I want to photograph. I ignored the yapping mutts and started walking the fence looking for an angle to pluck an interesting picture from the hill.

And then the light disappeared.

Clouds are a mixed blessing for me when I'm shooting.

I stood there waiting for the Sun to come back out.

Finally, after standing around for about five minutes trying to figure out if the dogs were moving ...

... here comes the Sun!

The light is back. Time to crank up my assault camera and start snapping away.

I took a LOT of pictures trying to frame something I liked. Mostly it went something like this:

Finally after I satisfied my interest in the hill (and besides I really needed to piss) I jumped back on the Tiger and headed for home:

Anyway....

Let me know what you think about the photos. Considering my lack of talent and know-how I'm sure there's room for improvement.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 10:22 PM
thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #645
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,273
I'm surrounded by BIG landscapes here in New Mexico. I'd like to do a better job of capturing them, especially after I've sometimes hiked for hours to get a shot.
I don't know that I'll ever get the scale I want with a DSLR. Can I try another lens, or should I be looking for a medium format camera?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: