Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #61
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob
What a great bunch of photos so far. NikonsAndVstroms was a big help to me when I was trying figure a few things out before pulling the trigger on my D90 back in December. I bought the Singh Ray Vari ND Duo last month and have been playing around with it a lot. Here's one an HDR of one of the near by streams.

Thanks, as for the image I would snap that twig on the right or at least bend it out of the way for the shot, it is slightly out of focus and was one of the first things my eye noticed.

Actually you can crop it out and a bit from the top. I really liked this image so played with a bit.....try a B&W conversion and play with the contrast, trust me. Right now I am looking at it.

HDR and B&W go together amazingly

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #62
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,675
That's an awesome shot Tallboy

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #63
Mav
Something witty...

Something a little different from the landscape...

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #64
Mav
Something witty...

And how about a portrait... Micky the bartender from The Ear Inn - a regular spot for the NYC Inmates

All the gear.. no idea!

Mav screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 03:48 PM
Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #65
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 27,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Thank you, sir.
i'm judging from a crappy dell monitor. if nikonsnvstroms says crank the contrast, i'd listen.

i'm a bit hobbled on my tech advice because i come from analog land.

a lot if this advice is situational. i can't tell if you could've gotten lower, which would've brought the 'hands' up proud of the horizon.
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #66
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoatnmmoto
I am open to criticism.
What say you about the Nikon 80-400VR as well?

Alaska 5/09
You need to pull out a bit, I would always air on this side of caution since you can do a little crop here and there but if the image is too tight there is no help. I have done enough 2MP work to love working with 12 so much freedom! Also the image is underexposed you want those feathers as white as possible while still holding detail.

As for the lens I haven't tried that one yet either. I'm actually just getting into the world of fancy glass myself all my early work was done on very very cheap equipment.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #67
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
damn it, I wish I wasn't getting ready to leave for the weekend - this has got learning opportunities written all over it. Hopefully I'll get to check in a bit.

I appreciate the input from all so far - I'm eager to hear ways to improve my shooting.

I'll leave you with a fun one to take a look at. Sunrise - subject was unintended - had planned to just take a shot of the landscape and play around with my new, at the time, graduated ND9 cokin filter pane. By the time the sun came up to the horizon, the critters had moved up front and center. lemons/lemonade. I spun the filter over and slid it up so the dark hard edge was on/just slightly above the horizon line....nothing spectacular - just makes me smile.

Great shot, only 2 things I would fix, 1 would be to not crop off the cow on the left, the other is a fill flash to bring their faces out of the shadow. And those filters are lots of fun keep messing around and you will find all sorts of unintended uses.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #68
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Something a little different from the landscape...

The people are a big distraction but I am guessing that could not be avoided.

As for the rest of the composition with such an orderly subject something more along the vertical line of the table could really bring this out. Or you could move a little closer/flatter so the glasses are what are in the frame and then play with the focus and try moving the part in focus up and down the table to see what set up works best.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #69
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

OK time to do a little work

This thread has me motivated and now I have a word document with outlines for 3 websites for me to build (one on my recovery project, another for camera/photography help , and the third and probably final is updating my actual site which right now is a 2006 vintage ). Damn trying to be productive

But this thread will be a nice break from flash

Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #70
Mav
Something witty...

Thanks for all the feedback, really helps to get some constructive guidance - let us know when you're done working

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #71
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
Quote:
- just makes me smile.

Makes me smile too.
I have sold in a few galleries and done a few shows and have never been taught what to do. I am not technically great, in fact far from it, but I like to think I have an eye for my compositions.
For me I am trying to capture the emotion and vibe.
I enjoy your pics as they have feeling in them and they translate the mood very well.

AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #72
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Thanks for all the feedback, really helps to get some constructive guidance - let us know when you're done working
I just did the basic theme and main page for one site so other than condensing the Cipro thread into a few paragraphs all that is left is a bunch of busy work so feel free to post.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #73
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,890
OK, I'll play. Nicoson in his element, just hanging at the beach enjoying a lazy day...
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #74
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:

The first was shot with my 10-20mm ultrawide lens...it was new to me and I was pretty fascinated with the new lower zoom range.
Is that a Sigma 10-20? If so do you need thinner filters to avoid vignetting?

PS: I like the cows the best.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #75
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
Thanks, as for the image I would snap that twig on the right or at least bend it out of the way for the shot, it is slightly out of focus and was one of the first things my eye noticed.

Actually you can crop it out and a bit from the top. I really liked this image so played with a bit.....try a B&W conversion and play with the contrast, trust me. Right now I am looking at it.

HDR and B&W go together amazingly
I'm looking at it now and I'm not sure how I feel about the B&W. And yea that damn twig! It's almost as if you have to pay attention to every corner of the frame
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: