BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #737
Jeephoto
Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer: 405
Light Painting

A photo I captured last evening after sunset. My front yard, the sky was almost dark, I could barely see to focus and compose. My fisheye lens, 8 second exposure at f11. I "painted" the Jeep and KLR650 with a flashlight.
Overall, I am pretty pleased with the results.

'99 KLR 650
Jeephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #738
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJPHOTO View Post
 photo DriversSample_zps853739c7.jpg
Great shot, this is the type of photo that really needs to be printed to get that rich B&W tonality. The only thing I see to work on would be that the bolts on the bottom are chopped off by the crop, and part of the....well I'm not sure of the name but the bolt on the arm in the upper right hand corner is as well.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #739
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeephoto View Post
A photo I captured last evening after sunset. My front yard, the sky was almost dark, I could barely see to focus and compose. My fisheye lens, 8 second exposure at f11. I "painted" the Jeep and KLR650 with a flashlight.
Overall, I am pretty pleased with the results.

Sounds like a fun technique to mess around with, I'd try it a little later on at night so the contrast really pops.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #740
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Taken with a Panasonic P&S on full auto (I think) and panorama. How could I have made it better?

Thanks!!!
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #741
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aterry1067 View Post
Taken with a Panasonic P&S on full auto (I think) and panorama. How could I have made it better?

Thanks!!!
Being a panorama makes it a bit harder but if it was a single shot I'd try a fill flash (just forcing the camera to fire it off, if it's a mid-higher range P&S IIRC you should be able to adjust the flash strength as well) so you can get a little more detail out of the trailer.

For the composition maybe move between the 2 in the middle? For the trailer that's the main focus in the middle we just the the back end and not much of the wheels, but in the current location it looks like you're lined up with the cannons so its not the easiest of calls on where to go.

Is this location close to you? Because I see tons of possible shots, like looking down at those cannons with the 2 wheels on either side framing the image if you can get a focal length where that would work. You also have that tree and tombstone which you could try out different compositions using those to help frame the image. And just a cool shot looking down the barrel of the cannon, and using macro to focus just part way up it. P&S's have a pretty long depth of field but with the macro setting you probably can get it to blur out the background which could be a cool effect so the viewer is at the pov of someone aiming that cannon at who knows what and they can fill in the blanks. Something like that would be a good picture to mess around with filters and different processing techniques too. Trying to replicate an old photo isn't easy but you'll definitely learn a lot in the process.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #742
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Being a panorama makes it a bit harder but if it was a single shot I'd try a fill flash (just forcing the camera to fire it off, if it's a mid-higher range P&S .................techniques too. Trying to replicate an old photo isn't easy but you'll definitely learn a lot in the process.

Thanks!!! The location isn't too close, but isn't too far away either. It's in one of the battlefields at Gettysburg. I, being in southern MD, am about a days ride away, conservatively riding/driving. Makes for a good weekend, and the history is always fun too.I do believe there are some cannons nearer to me though, so I will certainly give your suggestions a shot. :)
Old 07-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #743
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
What's this gonna cost me?

Hand held on the lift at work. D3100 w/18-55 kit lens @28MM/auto. Post only sharpen and crop.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #744
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

First attempt at post processing, cloning out 3 garbage cans in the background using Photoscape. Looking forward to more practice and different programs.

How do you feel about the composition? How could I shoot this photo and make it better?

Old 07-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #745
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,677
I'd like to play..

Your thoughts please..

Ol' Blue Chair

Untitled

Untitled
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #746
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Hand held on the lift at work. D3100 w/18-55 kit lens @28MM/auto. Post only sharpen and crop.
Is this a 100% crop? The noise especially in the background is really jumping out, which is probably due in part to the sharpening, and you can see some texture from the noise in the plug as well. So I'd back off that and add in some noise reduction, even if you lose a little detail it still should be good. For this kinda shot a macro would be great so it can really fill the composition.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #747
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aterry1067 View Post
First attempt at post processing, cloning out 3 garbage cans in the background using Photoscape. Looking forward to more practice and different programs.

How do you feel about the composition? How could I shoot this photo and make it better?

I don't know if it's because I read it and was looking for the cloning but it jumped right out at me. Without saying it you might get someone with a quick glance though. Did you try the healing brush? With the content aware feature it's actually pretty good. Just set it on replace and you might need to do it a few times selecting some extra areas around it for the program to pick something proper to replace it with.

With the composition I'd try to have it a little closer to the bike so you don't have any of the gaps like in the top left area. You have the bike dominating the frame so the 2 ways I'd go about this are either reversing it so there's a lot of the landscape and more than a hint but not a ton of the BMW. Or have it similar to this and just have a crazy landscape like intense colors from a sunset, or mountains, something epic being in that smaller area. I'd probably lean towards the former just aesthetically.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #748
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
I'd like to play..

Your thoughts please..

Ol' Blue Chair
I feel like there should be a corona bottle there, which I say as a compliment since it's really hitting the notes of one of their ads. It looks like you hit a camera limitation with the dynamic range though, the blue in the chair is great but the ground and even parts of the sky are underexposed a bit and you can see where the sun is peaking through is already blown out so there's not much you could do.

For the composition maybe mess around slightly with the angle from there but nothing too major.

Quote:
Untitled

This one could have used a little more exposure as well, you do a good job of not blowing out the clouds but the trees end up looking a bit muddy as it all blends together in a darker grey. From the 4/3 ratio I'm guessing this was a point and shoot camera? The only real thing to do would be trying an HDR image which can work really well with B&W. Since really rich and high dynamic range B&W prints are possible with film as long as you don't push it to the extreme you can get a lot out of it without getting the cartoon-y look which is associated with HDR.

I like the composition though, so it's just these technical bits.

Quote:
Untitled
For this one I'm not really sure what to do, the one thing that I'd try to avoid are the slightly out of focus branches on the left. They're at the point where it's close enough to being in focus that it looks off. But with the composition just messing around and blocking off parts the way it looked best to me was taking off the left area with those out of focus branches, and then cropping the bottom leaving just a little bit of the top of the bush. The downside to this is that the branches of that bush look awesome, I'd get down there and explore some compositions of that as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #749
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,677
Quote:
I feel like there should be a corona bottle there, which I say as a compliment since it's really hitting the notes of one of their ads. It looks like you hit a camera limitation with the dynamic range though, the blue in the chair is great but the ground and even parts of the sky are underexposed a bit and you can see where the sun is peaking through is already blown out so there's not much you could do.

For the composition maybe mess around slightly with the angle from there but nothing too major.

This one could have used a little more exposure as well, you do a good job of not blowing out the clouds but the trees end up looking a bit muddy as it all blends together in a darker grey. From the 4/3 ratio I'm guessing this was a point and shoot camera? The only real thing to do would be trying an HDR image which can work really well with B&W. Since really rich and high dynamic range B&W prints are possible with film as long as you don't push it to the extreme you can get a lot out of it without getting the cartoon-y look which is associated with HDR.

I like the composition though, so it's just these technical bits.

For this one I'm not really sure what to do, the one thing that I'd try to avoid are the slightly out of focus branches on the left. They're at the point where it's close enough to being in focus that it looks off. But with the composition just messing around and blocking off parts the way it looked best to me was taking off the left area with those out of focus branches, and then cropping the bottom leaving just a little bit of the top of the bush. The downside to this is that the branches of that bush look awesome, I'd get down there and explore some compositions of that as well.
Well, that went better than expected..

The bridge was with my old Canon G 11, the other two with a new Pentax..the chair may be in the first 20 images I took with it..the Japanese Garden in the first 50...

Thank you sir!!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #750
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Is this a 100% crop? The noise especially in the background is really jumping out, which is probably due in part to the sharpening, and you can see some texture from the noise in the plug as well. So I'd back off that and add in some noise reduction, even if you lose a little detail it still should be good. For this kinda shot a macro would be great so it can really fill the composition.
It's a teeny little piece of the image,no idea of percentage. I over sharpened it to make the chunks of steel pop. I wanted the subject to be the focus and am a newb at post production.

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: