Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #751
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
It's a teeny little piece of the image,no idea of percentage. I over sharpened it to make the chunks of steel pop. I wanted the subject to be the focus and am a newb at post production.

Thanks.
That was a big part of the learning process for me, I'd overdo the new methods/techniques I found and from that extreme walk them back to a level that worked a lot better.

But for these shots the lens is going to matter a lot more than what you do in post, I looked it up and the only affordable macro that will focus on your body is a Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S for about 275. Also if you did go that route you'll likely be shocked by the first shots with a lens like that VS your current 18-55, especially with sensors getting better and better resolution that extra sharpness really shines through.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #752
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,915
I have a D90 and F5 as well. And a few AE-1s that I have tried to part with but cannot do it.

The D3100 is with me most of the time. Especially at work where it being damaged or stolen wouldn't be as big a hit as losing the others plus the glass I have for them.

Honestly I just put that shot up 'cause of the subject matter. I cannot wait to get that engine apart. Carnage on a large scale.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #753
VEGASGSA
Banned

Oddometer: 6,643
Whacha thinkin' Professor?

Untitled
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #754
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Whacha thinkin' Professor?

Untitled
1 technical thing to watch I for is that there are chromatic aberrations up in the upper left hand corner so I'd just keep an the out to minimize that.

Composition wise it looks tilted slightly counter clockwise but that's a quick fix... The bigger thing us that you crop out some of the tree trunks on the left but on the righting the right of he current frame there's not much there.

For future times in this location those large clumps of moss could be interesting, or some other composition where you focus on a detail. There are lots of things going on but none are rally brought to the forefront so they don't have their potential "punch".

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #755
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 907
I have nothing so how about a sink full of kittens?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #756
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I have nothing so how about a sink full of kittens?
I had to take a benadryl just looking at that photo so I might not be the best choice for critiquing cute cat pics

Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #757
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,271
I've had my D3100 for a few months but with a demanding work schedule I've had little time to use it or shop for lenses.
Which is a good thing, probably, because I'm beginning to lean toward a full frame camera.
My reading tells me that the full frame would be better for the landscape photos I want to take here in the big sky country provided that I had the right lens.
Is my reasoning correct? Would something like the D90 be a good next step?
I wouldn't mind selling the 3100 and whatever hit I took on the price would be chalked up to the learning curve.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #758
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I've had my D3100 for a few months but with a demanding work schedule I've had little time to use it or shop for lenses.
Which is a good thing, probably, because I'm beginning to lean toward a full frame camera.
My reading tells me that the full frame would be better for the landscape photos I want to take here in the big sky country provided that I had the right lens.
Is my reasoning correct? Would something like the D90 be a good next step?
I wouldn't mind selling the 3100 and whatever hit I took on the price would be chalked up to the learning curve.
D90 is an older crop camera, but the D600/800 are both great for landscape. I just got the D7100 (crop) to go with my D700 (full frame) and I'm loving the extra reach but I can't comment on the D7100's at low ISO yet.

Here are the big questions, how much do you want to spend in total? And how big do you plan to print? Because on the cheap end with full frame we're talking 2,500-ish for a decent.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #759
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
From last weekend.

9-Aug-2013-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #760
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
D90 is an older crop camera, but the D600/800 are both great for landscape. I just got the D7100 (crop) to go with my D700 (full frame) and I'm loving the extra reach but I can't comment on the D7100's at low ISO yet.

Here are the big questions, how much do you want to spend in total? And how big do you plan to print? Because on the cheap end with full frame we're talking 2,500-ish for a decent.
I'll need to begin my research all over again. One of the cameras that caught my eye is the Canon EOS 5D. Used bodies list for around 500.00 on eBay and Amazon, and I don't see any option but to go used right now.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #761
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
I'll need to begin my research all over again. One of the cameras that caught my eye is the Canon EOS 5D. Used bodies list for around 500.00 on eBay and Amazon, and I don't see any option but to go used right now.
If you're looking at the 5D just keep your current set up. It has lower resolution than the D3100, plus an annoying noise at low ISO which made me when I had to clean up pics from another photographer for a client. The only place the 5D beats the D3100 is high ISO but the 3100 has more MP (though I'm not sure which one has the higher visible resolution which comes down to how strong each AA filter is....but if anything the D3100 likely still comes out ahead). You probably get a little more noise in the shadows with your current camera even though you have slightly more dynamic range, though I'm not sure since I don't have much experience with the D3100 or 5D so these are mostly general observations from that brief 5D experience and doing a few min research.

Also they make GREAT crop ultra wide angle lenses, just they're not from Nikon/Canon, Tokina is known for this and used copies are right in your price range. The used crop market is also good right now since a lot of people are moving up to FF so more supply/less demand.

I'll ask you about how you shoot in a second but my advice would be to keep your current camera with a new lens, and if you hit limitations there the D3200, 5200, and 7100 all have a sensor with better dynamic range (2+ stops), each step you move up gets you a few features (and slight image quality increase with the D7100) but with landscapes you don't really need much in the way of....well anything, basic AF is fine, FPS doesn't matter, really just a good sensor and that's it.

And if you're using a kit lens now you'll get a huge image quality increase with the new lens, so right now what are you shooting with? And when you use it do you find yourself wishing it went wider? Went higher on the telephoto end? Or the range is about right?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #762
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post
From last weekend.

9-Aug-2013-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
It looks like you pushed it a little too far from all the noise in the sky which I'm guessing is from processing and not JPEG compression.

I do like what it does to the clouds but it goes a bit extreme with the cliffs on the left where they lose a lot of tonality and it looks a lil posterized AKA black or white.

There are 2 things you can do in an image like this (I'll be explaining this for photoshop if you have something else like GIMP it should still be able to do this) are to dodge the shadows on that mountain to bring them up a lil bit and hopefully bring out some of the tonality. And if that doesn't work to make 2 layers and basically process the photo twice, once for the land, the other for the sky, and basically just cut it out. With complex shapes like this it will get a lil tedious BUT if you find an image you really like but just can't get right due to this happening it can be worth it.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #763
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:

Also they make GREAT crop ultra wide angle lenses, just they're not from Nikon/Canon, Tokina is known for this and used copies are right in your price range. The used crop market is also good right now since a lot of people are moving up to FF so more supply/less demand.

And if you're using a kit lens now you'll get a huge image quality increase with the new lens, so right now what are you shooting with? And when you use it do you find yourself wishing it went wider? Went higher on the telephoto end? Or the range is about right?
I'm using the Nikon 18-55mm that came with the camera and it's okay for just messing around. I'm constantly wishing I could get a wider bite of the landscape with minimal distortion. If I needed more telephoto capability, my understanding is that the cropped cameras are fine for that.
If I can improve that aspect with a better DX lens, say, a 14mm, I'll go shopping. Otherwise, I have to wonder if the best move might be to sell what I have, before investing more money in it, and move up as much as much as finances will allow.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #764
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
I'm using the Nikon 18-55mm that came with the camera and it's okay for just messing around. I'm constantly wishing I could get a wider bite of the landscape with minimal distortion. If I needed more telephoto capability, my understanding is that the cropped cameras are fine for that.
If I can improve that aspect with a better DX lens, say, a 14mm, I'll go shopping. Otherwise, I have to wonder if the best move might be to sell what I have, before investing more money in it, and move up as much as much as finances will allow.
How about a Tokina 12-24 for 325 dollars? Edit: IMPORTANT if you go for this lens contact the site first to make sure it's the model with the focus motor built in so it'll AF on your D3100. If not just write in here again, even the other options while not as sharp are still worlds better than the 18-55.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digi...99080087N?r=FE

You can read about it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._12-24_4_n15/4

Using that lens will be night and day VS your 18-55. FF ultra wides in my experience are more expensive (that Tokina 12-24 is a crazy deal for such a sharp lens!) so for a decent kit with that 5D I'd expect to pay 1,000-1,500 total. And for used gear in general KEH has great reviews, Adorama's customer support is amazing, ask them a question or for pics and you'll get them quickly. B&H is my goto and I have a few used lenses from them and none have had an issue.

You're in the right place for landscapes....I miss NM all the time. Never made it to SF but hopefully I'll be able to spend a lot more time in that state.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 11:45 AM
Old 08-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #765
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
How about a Tokina 12-24 for 325 dollars?

You're in the right place for landscapes....I miss NM all the time. Never made it to SF but hopefully I'll be able to spend a lot more time in that state.
That does appear to be a sweet lens. Thanks for looking it up.
New Mexico makes you want to reach for a camera. I take the Suzuki out for evening rides just to watch the colors in the sky change.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: