Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #76
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
OK, I'll play. Nicoson in his element, just hanging at the beach enjoying a lazy day...
The image is pretty flat, you should find the curves option if you have photoshop or the gimp (if not download the gimp it's free) and you can play with the contrast to make it pop.

As for the composition as is watch the corners with the cut off of the shovel. You could move closer to your kid and lower thus making a false appearance of size. He might wonder what is up with you but just go around all angles trying crazy stuff. When you go home you'll find some weird shot that actually works and then you have that to build off of.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #77
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,915
Great thread. I've been getting more and more into taking better pictures over the last year.

I'm still not very good. Here are a couple of favourites.

scanned from film:

Digital, converted to b&w

Digital. Exif should be there.

Digital, on a Sigma 10-20. I love that I captured the moment, even in challenging light. The picture is nothing special.

And an old one from a p&s I've always liked.

Thoughts?
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #78
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
The image is pretty flat, you should find the curves option if you have photoshop or the gimp (if not download the gimp it's free) and you can play with the contrast to make it pop.
Gimp huh? I'll look it up. (You better not be setting me up for some Pulp Fiction crap. )

Quote:
As for the composition as is watch the corners with the cut off of the shovel. You could move closer to your kid and lower thus making a false appearance of size. He might wonder what is up with you but just go around all angles trying crazy stuff. When you go home you'll find some weird shot that actually works and then you have that to build off of.
My kids think I'm nuts anyway, might as well keep that going.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #79
barefoot
Frustrated Rock Star

Oddometer: 625
Ooh! I'll play, if you don't mind!
1) Mitchell Mesa, in Monument Valley:

2) Bexar County Courthouse:
Old 02-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #80
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
Great thread. I've been getting more and more into taking better pictures over the last year.

I'm still not very good. Here are a couple of favourites.

scanned from film:

Digital, converted to b&w

Digital. Exif should be there.

Digital, on a Sigma 10-20. I love that I captured the moment, even in challenging light. The picture is nothing special.

And an old one from a p&s I've always liked.

Thoughts?
Since there are so many I'll just do some quick ones:

1) The big thing on this one is it looks like a standard height looking down, the doll and crates/random metal are all interesting elements but the angle could really add to them, like a close up on the coll looking out onto those elements.

2) A pretty standard snap shot but the big issues are it is slightly out of focus and the B&W conversion is pretty muddy. Is this a straight B&W conversion or did you play with the contrast/curves.

3) Try rotating 90 degrees counterclockwise and maybe use curves to brighten it up a little.

4) Pretty simple image, maybe if you got into the field it would translate better but then it wouldn't be your moment.

5) Try cropping off a little of the right hand part.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 02-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #81
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,915
Quote:
Since there are so many I'll just do some quick ones:

1) The big thing on this one is it looks like a standard height looking down, the doll and crates/random metal are all interesting elements but the angle could really add to them, like a close up on the coll looking out onto those elements.

2) A pretty standard snap shot but the big issues are it is slightly out of focus and the B&W conversion is pretty muddy. Is this a straight B&W conversion or did you play with the contrast/curves.

3) Try rotating 90 degrees counterclockwise and maybe use curves to brighten it up a little.

4) Pretty simple image, maybe if you got into the field it would translate better but then it wouldn't be your moment.

5) Try cropping off a little of the right hand part.
Yep. I'd agree with all of that. I find it odd that 4 and 5, that really aren't anything, bother me the least.

1 was a great find at an abandoned farm, but I bunged up the composition.

2 is a too-tight crop with the wrong lens and one of my first attempts at b&w conversion. I'll upload the original for shits and giggles. Converted in PSE8 and tweaked a little by trial and error only.

3, not sure I agree, but there isn't much there anyway.

The original of the b&w conversion.

Grainbelt screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 07:30 PM
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #82
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,858
Thanks for taking the time and helping out

Do you crop and adjust all the pictures you take or at least the better ones, Or do you get to a point when taking pictures you dont need to mess with them. Thanks.

2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #83
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted

Do you crop and adjust all the pictures you take or at least the better ones, Or do you get to a point when taking pictures you dont need to mess with them. Thanks.
It all depends, none of my cameras have 100% viewfinders so it is always a slight guess, for many there is no crop at all, but I also have no fear of cropping or rotating my images in any way. I actually did a roughly 100 image series last year with no cropping, the series was created with a 2MP camera so every bit counted and it really made me pay attention to framing.

If by adjust you mean process than yes, but almost all my post processing with very few examples can be recreated in the dark room so I don't go too crazy.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #84
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted

What camera were these images taken with they seem a bit fuzzy (I'm just wondering if it is the camera or the jpeg compression).

For the top image I would try and get a more active pose, say the bird looking at you or in the process of eating, this shot just looks very static. Also the right side doesn't have much in it for the viewer so a vertical framing would have worked better.

The bottom one looks to be a bit overexposed but you seem to have most of the information there (not too many areas are blow out so with curves you could possibly get it working). As for the composition that well I am not sure what it is "thing" on the right seems to take away since it grabs the eye and is not too interesting. Now with the tractor I feel there are 2 ways that could have worked better. If you went closer and angled down more to have just this rusted tractor in all the lush growth for the contrast. Or to be on the level of all of it looking out, possibly from behind the tractor since those tires could look great.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #85
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,003
Quote:
Post questions about your camera or lens choices.
Why would anyone choose Nikon over Canon with the 1D Mk IV, 5D Mk II and 7D all available in the Canon line?
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #86
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,595
INteresting thread... i join in...

1. Was shot on Tmax100 Delorian River, Tasmania

2.Helfsty Castle, Czech Republic

3. Arches National Park

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #87
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
Why would anyone choose Nikon over Canon with the 1D Mk IV, 5D Mk II and 7D all available in the Canon line?

But I'll bite

1D Mk IV does not have as good AF or high ISO performance as the D3s

5D Mk II does not have as good build quality (weather sealing), AF which is one of the 5D's weakest features, high ISO, and can shoot about half as fast (3.9 VS 8 FPS) as the D700

7D is behind the D300s in AF performance but otherwise is a pretty close camera, a great add on for the 50D which lagged behind in many areas.

Nikon's higher end cameras all share very similar AF systems which is a huge plus over the Canon's and have on average higher build quality (the 1D and D3 are similar but below Canon has lagged until the 7D which I hear is close to the D300).

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 10:48 PM
Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #88
RonS
Out there...

Quote:

But I'll bite

1D Mk IV does not have as good AF or high ISO performance as the D3s

5D Mk II does not have as good build quality (weather sealing), AF which is one of the 5D's weakest features, high ISO, and can shoot about half as fast (3.9 VS 8 FPS) as the D700

7D is behind the D300s in AF performance but otherwise is a pretty close camera, a great add on for the 50D which lagged behind in many areas.

Nikon's higher end cameras all share very similar AF systems which is a huge plus over the Canon's and have on average higher build quality (the 1D and D3 are similar but below Canon has lagged until the 7D which I hear is close to the D300).
Yeah, Nikon was way behind Canon but they seem to have copied Canon's CMOS technology to the point that the bodies are almost as good as the Canon bodies. Shame about that Nikon glass though
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #89
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
Yeah, Nikon was way behind Canon but they seem to have copied Canon's CMOS technology to the point that the bodies are almost as good as the Canon bodies. Shame about that Nikon glass though
I know you don't get to send it back over and over for a good copy like that Canon glass, it keeps you from getting to know those friendly people at the service department on a 1st name basis

And last I checked Nikon seems to be ahead in high ISO quality

Sony and Canon need to catch up now

Old 02-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #90
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
I know you don't get to send it back over and over for a good copy like that Canon glass, it keeps you from getting to know those friendly people at the service department on a 1st name basis

And last I checked Nikon seems to be ahead in high ISO quality

Sony and Canon need to catch up now
I hope you know I'm just pulling your leg. I like them all. Even my old dog of a Canon 40D with the 24-105L attached is better at photography than I am. I hang out over at Fred Miranda trying to improve but it’s a long road.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: