Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #91
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
I hope you know I'm just pulling your leg. I like them all. Even my old dog of a Canon 40D with the 24-105L attached is better at photography than I am. I hang out over at Fred Miranda trying to improve but it’s a long road.
I know, the scary thing is some people act like Nikon VS Canon was some topic over in CS&M .

I actually own an EOS 650 (which if IIRC was the first Canon EOS) but don't tell the Nikon faithful The cameras are basically the same now with only minor differences between the brands in each class, hell you can't really find a "bad" DSLR on the market.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #92
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,557

Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #93
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
I like the foreground focus ones banjo
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #94
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
I like the foreground focus ones banjo
What aperture is that shot, and is it a wide angle "macro"?

Nice subject isolation

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #95
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo

I like the middle one the best, in the top one the 2 elements overlapping really doesn't make it nice and clear. With the 2nd you see this interesting stump//nail and then seeing the out of focus bike in the background is like a nice surprise. I would play with the color/contrast a bit though these seem a pretty middle of the road now and this is another area you can explore.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #96
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
Learning HDR. This was taken with my Sony Cybershot W290 Point and Shoot. Edited in Corel Paint Shop Pro , Adobe Photoshop and PhotoMatix Pro.

03 Honda XR250R
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #97
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d
Learning HDR. This was taken with my Sony Cybershot W290 Point and Shoot. Edited in Corel Paint Shop Pro , Adobe Photoshop and PhotoMatix Pro.

You went overboard but it's all good, that's how you learn in this stuff.

I can see a lot of processing tools but if you could give me a list I can tell you how to use them with a lighter touch.

Also could you post the image straight HDR without any of the other work.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #98
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUtback UFO
INteresting thread... i join in...

1. Was shot on Tmax100 Delorian River, Tasmania

2.Helfsty Castle, Czech Republic

3. Arches National Park
1) I honestly don't know what to say on this image, I will give you my stream of thought. I see a bunch of areas of mostly solid colors with slight textures, with the grass? Making another one on top of the water and shadows shaping this grey area. The large amount of grey bothers me but not sure how you can change this, you could have fun with this as an abstract image, and here I feel playing with the angle shown could help it and push it more in this abstract direction.

2) It is a very interesting location, perhaps a little dark but you do have absolute white in some areas, I just would play with your position especially since the left most 1/4 seems to have much more interesting textures than the rest of the composition.

3) I really like this in that it gives me a feeling of looking at single celled organisms through a microscope, this is right in my comfort zone

Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #99
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot
Ooh! I'll play, if you don't mind!
1) Mitchell Mesa, in Monument Valley:

2) Bexar County Courthouse:
1) Amazing location, someone told me I should head out to the southwest and after seeing all these images I might need to go for it.

For this image my main composition concerns are with the right hand crop it seems very much like the image was (cut off). I just played around with it's location in my monitor and if you cropped some off the bottom close to the beginning of the mountain, and a little off the right to the dip it seems to work a lot better. The reason I did the bottom is it this "muddy" area compared to the sun hitting the rocks/sky.

Also were you angling the lens slightly up? I see some distortion and why I mention this is that is how many people take these images. The big thing is you want to have something to differentiate your image from the countless others which have been taken of this scene in either it's composition, look or both.

2) Here we have that up angle which takes away from the architecture. I think a stronger composition would be the part coming out to the left of the tower as well as the tower in the right part of the frame, all done vertically with less of an up angle.

As for the processing play around with the curves function. right now the stone is rather muddy and same with the sky but you have all the visual information in this photo (few absolute blacks where detail is needed, and not much is blown out) so you could bring up the highlights and make this image pop a lot more.

And now I am all caught up

Old 02-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #100
thomasona
older than he looks

Oddometer: 200
Just curious, Nikon, what do you do for a job? I see "web developer/photographer" in your profile. Do you freelance or are you a staff photographer for a publication? I've seen some of your pics in threads here and I like what I see. Is there a place I can see your professional work?

Nice thread, by the way!
thomasona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #101
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasona
Just curious, Nikon, what do you do for a job? I see "web developer/photographer" in your profile. Do you freelance or are you a staff photographer for a publication? I've seen some of your pics in threads here and I like what I see. Is there a place I can see your professional work?

Nice thread, by the way!
I am currently disabled/unemployed which gives me the free time for this thread
A lot of my journey through it is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=cipro

I'm working on getting a new computer that can handle design work along with the speech recognition I am using now to type this. The issue is any lag is a huge pain since my mouse is controlled by head movement so 1/2 a second could be a move of 1/2 a degree and then I don't click the right thing.

Photography has basically gotten me through this time and I have gone from a cell phone camera, to a point and shoot, and am now back into the world of DSLR's as they find drugs to help my condition. My issue is when I get into a project I go through the pain and after can pretty much be dead from using the cameras too much.

Here is a basic overview of my recent work (from when I was disabled about 2 years ago to I thin 10/09 I need to update it a bit)

http://jbeckphotography.smugmug.com/...67377862_LLqMh

I am also getting back into concerts a bit (using a old MF telephoto which is nice due to its lighter weight compared to the monsters we have today):

http://jbeckphotography.smugmug.com/...29220634_Ayrtv
The first few B&W ones in this gallery are from way back using film and the rest are more recent work.

I am also working on the site now about those cell photos (it was my senior thesis) and while the book is a lot of work this I am hoping to have up soon. And while working with this current computer is like pulling teeth it is good to somewhat get back into web design before I get the new one so I can hit the ground running.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 02-26-2010 at 11:54 AM
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #102
thomasona
older than he looks

Oddometer: 200
Right on. I'm a photographer by trade (don't let my listed website fool you, it's FOREVER old and I don't use it) and it's always interesting to run into other photo geeks like myself. Seems to be quite a few of us here on ADV.

You've got nice stuff -- keep it up!
thomasona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #103
Harsh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I don't have any pictures that I think are great to post, but I do like looking at the posted pictures and reading the comments.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #104
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,747
same photo but added work

Took the suggestions and did a little cropping and a few minor color changes and I like this one much better.

findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #105
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob
Took the suggestions and did a little cropping and a few minor color changes and I like this one much better.

Nice, it is a little dark in the foreground where a little fill flash could help but the issue there is you would freeze the water so not much to do there except maybe play with the HDR a little. The other part which I would work on in future captures is maybe getting a little more of the rock on the bottom. I like it as a compositional element but cropped it out from this image in the one I sent because I thought it needed a bit more to really stand on it's own there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: