r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #107
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d
HDR'd
Thanks but it was already HDR, Not a big fan of the over cooked look of HDR. I know it's fun and all and I myself love to take it to extremes.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #108
worgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
The big thing is about what budget you are looking at then. For action shots the best AF possible is needed but that gets expensive fast, and even has multiple levels in the consumer DSLR's.
So is there somthing under a grand that would work? or am I just dreaming?

Also is there a good site for advice and where should I be looking to buy a camera. I hate Best Buy but they seem to have good prices.
worgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #109
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,141
Quote:
I like the middle one the best, in the top one the 2 elements overlapping really doesn't make it nice and clear. With the 2nd you see this interesting stump//nail and then seeing the out of focus bike in the background is like a nice surprise. I would play with the color/contrast a bit though these seem a pretty middle of the road now and this is another area you can explore.
Thanks for the input. I'm still not sure what I think of those...they have not received any post process. I've been trying to learn a little in gimpshop and a couple of other freebees.....but I have a tendency to over do it.

Here's one I tried to "fix"

Original

gimpshop

faststone

Old 02-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #110
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob
South Trescott, on the way to West Quoddy Head. See the full deal here;

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453045
That pic looked just like a small town near where I stayed a few years ago. It was either near Schoodic or Petit Manan. Unfortunately, those pics are on my computer at work.

Nice photos, BTW. I love Maine. Well, except for the skeeters.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #111
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose
So is there somthing under a grand that would work? or am I just dreaming?

Also is there a good site for advice and where should I be looking to buy a camera. I hate Best Buy but they seem to have good prices.
So good AF under 1k......

The big thing is this will be a compromise:

The best AF system I can find for you right now is the Olympus E-30, against the top offerings from Nikon/Canon it isn't there but next to the D90/D5000/Rebel T1i from what I can see it will be your best bet.

The E-30 has the AF from the Olympus E-3 which is their top of the line camera and is really fast and in good light should be great. The low light performance (amount of noise in the images) is only a little behind the Nikon/Canon of this level but not by much and you do gain many features.

One of the reasons I really like the E-30 is that it’s basically the top of the line camera but without weather sealing.....it does have a better sensor than the E-3 though. I almost bought one myself instead of my D700 but the ergonomics don’t work with my wrist braces.

As for price camera itself is close to 900 (B&H photo is a good choice if you are not near any photo stores) and you can get the 40-150 for around 100 dollars which is 300mm in 35mm equivalent.

Going down on the AF performance a little bit (fewer points) you get the E-620 with both lenses for about 625 right now.

Now for a little about the Olympus cameras, they have much better Jpeg output than Canon or Nikon so if you don’t want to play around with Raw files much they are a better choice. Also they have a slightly smaller sensor which helps size in two ways, they have camera bodies and lenses have a crop factor of 2x compared to 35mm so a telephoto lens can be much smaller. The image stabilization is based on the sensor itself, so it moves instead of having optics inside of the lens. Combine this makes lenses that are incredibly small, the standard telephoto lens from Olympus is smaller than the 18-55 Canon or Nikon lenses.

Upkeep on the cameras also easier since they have the best dust reduction system. Getting dust on the sensor while changing lenses can be really annoying and now Canon and Nikon have decent systems but are not up to the same standard. It is incredibly rare for an Olympus user to need to clean their sensor.

The real strength of Olympus cameras are their lenses and here there is a big difference. The basic lenses which are called standard grade are pretty much above the equivalent from other manufacturers. But then they also have high-grade lenses which have very fast variable apertures and build quality like the pro-Canon and Nikon lenses but at a much cheaper price. If you want to go crazy they also have F2.0 Zooms but those are pretty much starting up twice your budget.

As you can see I am slightly pro-Olympus and even though I have many higher end cameras my small E-420 comes out with me much of the time. I can basically fill a whole entire camera system into a tiny bag consisting of my 9-18, 14-24, 40-150, and 35 macro basically everything is covered, and they take up the same room/weigh less than my D700 with the 28-75 on it.

The big issue is for a fast telephoto option you will be paying almost as much as your whole budget for the Olympus 50-200, and double it for the Canon or Nikon 70-200 2.8. Canon has some cheaper options than their F2.8 IS (they have a F4 IS and a F2.8 without IS) both are about 1,300, so still very expensive. Sigma has a decent one for all 3 camera brands but it is close to the price of the 50-200 and not as good in quality.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 02-26-2010 at 01:41 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #112
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Thanks for the input. I'm still not sure what I think of those...they have not received any post process. I've been trying to learn a little in gimpshop and a couple of other freebees.....but I have a tendency to over do it.

Here's one I tried to "fix"

Original

gimpshop

faststone

This is not the easiest image, it would take a bunch of layers blended to get the levels right and I probably would B&W it to deal with the vast difference in foreground and background colors. The initial capture was slightly over exposed and I would try and not do a dead center picture of the Strom.

What tools are you using in Gimpshop?

I would find a simple image, and play around with that.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 02-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #113
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
This is not the easiest image, it would take a bunch of layers blended to get the levels right and I probably would B&W it to deal with the vast difference in foreground and background colors. The initial capture was slightly over exposed and I would try and not do a dead center picture of the Strom.

What tools are you using in Gimpshop?

I would find a simple image, and play around with that.
I don't remember how I stacked the layers in that one.

..but here's another one of those 1/2 focused shots that sometimes I like...

Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #114
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
I don't remember how I stacked the layers in that one.

..but here's another one of those 1/2 focused shots that sometimes I like...

You are a little underexposed here and try moving the angle up a little, I'm interested in the shot because my brain see V-Strom and thinks damn I want to run over there and ride off on the thing but it is not the most interesting placement for it. Give it a little more separation and maybe have it be on the lower part of the frame so you have this great texture, then see this abstract blurry landscape in the distance to signify the amazing ride which is going on.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #115
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
You are a little underexposed here and try moving the angle up a little, I'm interested in the shot because my brain see V-Strom and thinks damn I want to run over there and ride off on the thing but it is not the most interesting placement for it. Give it a little more separation and maybe have it be on the lower part of the frame so you have this great texture, then see this abstract blurry landscape in the distance to signify the amazing ride which is going on.
Yeah..that's one of those pics that sometimes I just don't like it...but other times I think it's OK. (no post process in that one)

I started a thread over on stromtrooper about trying to learn a little post process...you are more than welcome to critique all that's posted there too if you like.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #116
worgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
So good AF under 1k......

The big thing is this will be a compromise:

The best AF system I can find for you right now is the Olympus E-30, against the top offerings from Nikon/Canon it isn't there but next to the D90/D5000/Rebel T1i from what I can see it will be your best bet.

The E-30 has the AF from the Olympus E-3 which is their top of the line camera and is really fast and in good light should be great. The low light performance (amount of noise in the images) is only a little behind the Nikon/Canon of this level but not by much and you do gain many features.

One of the reasons I really like the E-30 is that itís basically the top of the line camera but without weather sealing.....it does have a better sensor than the E-3 though. I almost bought one myself instead of my D700 but the ergonomics donít work with my wrist braces.

As for price camera itself is close to 900 (B&H photo is a good choice if you are not near any photo stores) and you can get the 40-150 for around 100 dollars which is 300mm in 35mm equivalent.

Going down on the AF performance a little bit (fewer points) you get the E-620 with both lenses for about 625 right now.

Now for a little about the Olympus cameras, they have much better Jpeg output than Canon or Nikon so if you donít want to play around with Raw files much they are a better choice. Also they have a slightly smaller sensor which helps size in two ways, they have camera bodies and lenses have a crop factor of 2x compared to 35mm so a telephoto lens can be much smaller. The image stabilization is based on the sensor itself, so it moves instead of having optics inside of the lens. Combine this makes lenses that are incredibly small, the standard telephoto lens from Olympus is smaller than the 18-55 Canon or Nikon lenses.

Upkeep on the cameras also easier since they have the best dust reduction system. Getting dust on the sensor while changing lenses can be really annoying and now Canon and Nikon have decent systems but are not up to the same standard. It is incredibly rare for an Olympus user to need to clean their sensor.

The real strength of Olympus cameras are their lenses and here there is a big difference. The basic lenses which are called standard grade are pretty much above the equivalent from other manufacturers. But then they also have high-grade lenses which have very fast variable apertures and build quality like the pro-Canon and Nikon lenses but at a much cheaper price. If you want to go crazy they also have F2.0 Zooms but those are pretty much starting up twice your budget.

As you can see I am slightly pro-Olympus and even though I have many higher end cameras my small E-420 comes out with me much of the time. I can basically fill a whole entire camera system into a tiny bag consisting of my 9-18, 14-24, 40-150, and 35 macro basically everything is covered, and they take up the same room/weigh less than my D700 with the 28-75 on it.

The big issue is for a fast telephoto option you will be paying almost as much as your whole budget for the Olympus 50-200, and double it for the Canon or Nikon 70-200 2.8. Canon has some cheaper options than their F2.8 IS (they have a F4 IS and a F2.8 without IS) both are about 1,300, so still very expensive. Sigma has a decent one for all 3 camera brands but it is close to the price of the 50-200 and not as good in quality.
Thanks for all the info I think the Olympus sounds like the best bet
worgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #117
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Yeah..that's one of those pics that sometimes I just don't like it...but other times I think it's OK. (no post process in that one)

I started a thread over on stromtrooper about trying to learn a little post process...you are more than welcome to critique all that's posted there too if you like.
Damn I haven't been over in that forum for a long time now.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #118
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,043

Fuji S602z (point and shoot) w/ IR filter at midday.

Canon 10D, Sigma 15mm fisheye, selective color in Photoshop.

Canon 10D, Tokina 19-30mm, Tiffen circular polarizer.

Canon 10D, Canon 28-135mm High key experiment following instructions on internet.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #119
barefoot
Frustrated Rock Star

Oddometer: 625
Thanks for Looking!
Quote:
1) Amazing location, someone told me I should head out to the southwest and after seeing all these images I might need to go for it.

For this image my main composition concerns are with the right hand crop it seems very much like the image was (cut off). I just played around with it's location in my monitor and if you cropped some off the bottom close to the beginning of the mountain, and a little off the right to the dip it seems to work a lot better. The reason I did the bottom is it this "muddy" area compared to the sun hitting the rocks/sky.

Also were you angling the lens slightly up? I see some distortion and why I mention this is that is how many people take these images. The big thing is you want to have something to differentiate your image from the countless others which have been taken of this scene in either it's composition, look or both.
This one was straight out of the camera, no edits, no crops. I'm sure it was angled up, but only slightly. There's no straight lines, so my inexperienced eye can't see any distortion. While I agree about the differentiation, I'm just happy to have gotten this shot with this light!

2) Here we have that up angle which takes away from the architecture. I think a stronger composition would be the part coming out to the left of the tower as well as the tower in the right part of the frame, all done vertically with less of an up angle.

As for the processing play around with the curves function. right now the stone is rather muddy and same with the sky but you have all the visual information in this photo (few absolute blacks where detail is needed, and not much is blown out) so you could bring up the highlights and make this image pop a lot more.
This one was difficult - while I'm happy with it in some ways, I can't make it look straight because of all the angles. What I like about it is that I was able to bring out the detail in the shadows (all of the foreground, because the harsh sun was behind the building) which wouldn't have been possible with digital capture (this was with actual B&W film). I'm using iPhoto, which doesn't (as far as I know) have a curves function, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

Thanks for the critique! I may pull out a couple more if this thread slows down ...

And now I am all caught up
Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #120
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,595
Quote:
1) I honestly don't know what to say on this image, I will give you my stream of thought. I see a bunch of areas of mostly solid colors with slight textures, with the grass? Making another one on top of the water and shadows shaping this grey area. The large amount of grey bothers me but not sure how you can change this, you could have fun with this as an abstract image, and here I feel playing with the angle shown could help it and push it more in this abstract direction.

2) It is a very interesting location, perhaps a little dark but you do have absolute white in some areas, I just would play with your position especially since the left most 1/4 seems to have much more interesting textures than the rest of the composition.

1 &2
I always enjoying what other skilled photographers think/feel about these two images... since they are both in permanent museum collections it i very interesting what others see in them.
# 1 just realized from you commentary that it was scanned in a touch dark from the actual print... the gray area you are think about is near pure white but not pure white... will need to fix that.

Thanks.

# 3 is a fun one... gets everyone different since i go to national parks and dont phtograph the normal attractions

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: