Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2004, 03:24 PM   #16
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Hockey- the ice capades for thugs. Only the geniuses of the NHL ownership would take a sport most people don't give a shit about and shut it down.
If it comes back, there will be six or eight teams. the Rangers, the Broons, The Habs, The Blackhawks and whoever the Fuck the Detroit is called. Otherwise, The NHL is a Business School case of how to wreck a good idea.
ed

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:43 PM   #17
GregInBoulder OP
Jerry rules. Get over it.

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksideofthetree
Hockey- the ice capades for thugs. Only the geniuses of the NHL ownership would take a sport most people don't give a shit about and shut it down.
If it comes back, there will be six or eight teams. the Rangers, the Broons, The Habs, The Blackhawks and whoever the Fuck the Detroit is called. Otherwise, The NHL is a Business School case of how to wreck a good idea.
ed
I'll buy the business school comment. The league has way too many teams for it's own good and the thugs are there because there are only a certain number of truely skilled player to go around.

Murgatroid, you are right. I'll take the money I spent on the Avs and buy as many tickets as I can to see DU and the Eagles.

And I'll continue to play in the local leagues, where I get to rip it up on a pair of skates.

"Stupid should be painfull" - FatChance
GregInBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:44 PM   #18
GregInBoulder OP
Jerry rules. Get over it.

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by komet
Has logic and merit.
Except for the RedSkins part, I agree.

"Stupid should be painfull" - FatChance
GregInBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #19
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInBoulder
I'll buy the business school comment. The league has way too many teams for it's own good and the thugs are there because there are only a certain number of truely skilled player to go around.
I disagree. The reason thugs and fighting is around is because the league encourages it. It's a continuation of hot-headed Canadian "tradition", teams holding grudges, i.e., WWE style crap.

The NHL could eliminate fighting immediately by adopting the college rule: 5 minute majors, not cancelled by penalties, and throw out the player for that game and the next game. For good measure, make the suspension without pay. That will stop fighting, if enforced, i.e., the refs have the balls to call fighting instead of "roughing" and "high sticking".

College hockey is a good game, without the fighting. Philadelphia made thugs like Dave Schultz part of the game, but they won the Cup because they had Bernie Parent and Bobby Clarke, not because they beat up the other teams. The Canadiens could play fast and clean, but they could dish it out when necessary. They won a few Cups, BTW. Thuggery will ruin (or end) pro hockey, in my opinion.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #20
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInBoulder
Murgatroid, you are right. I'll take the money I spent on the Avs and buy as many tickets as I can to see DU and the Eagles.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:28 AM   #21
Sir Vesa
Presently damaged, again.

Oddometer: 51
Missing hockey here as well. I'm a big-time Av's fan, even though I live in So. Cal. (I can't stand the Ducks or Kings). Just a couple more weeks until the LB Ice Dogs start playing again. It's a bit of a drive from Riverside, but at least I'll be able to watch a game for pretty cheap. I can get the family in, and the truck parked for under $50.
Sir Vesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: