Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #31
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
It didn't take a chopper or attitude to attract police presence in the 60's, just riding a bike was enough. There weren't a lot of bikes on the road at that time, and riding one was like waving a red flag in front of a bull to the cops.

In '65 I had a new red Honda 305cc Super Hawk. I remember riding out on LI on Northern Blvd from Great Neck east. You pass through another village about every 5 minutes. That day I got stopped by 4 cops in 4 villages. It was almost a joke. Surprisingly enough, although I hadn't broken any laws, I didn't receive any tickets. Just warnings for riding a motorcycle.

One cop in Manhasset tried to put his nightstick into my exhaust pipe to see if I had removed the baffles, another in Roslyn told me they didn't want "my kind" around there. My kind? I was a clean cut 18 year old college student wearing chinos and a button down shirt for God's sake. I even wore a 3/4 helmet and goggles before NY had a helmet law.

It was strictly harassment and attempted intimidation which they never would have been able to get away with today. When I mentioned it to people at the time, the reaction was "well, you were on a motorcycle", as if that somehow justified the police BS.

The thing was though that the cops on LI always were a bit over the top. I later became a state peace officer myself. In 1970 when my new Duster 340 broke down yet another time and I was bent over the engine compartment attempting a roadside fix, I heard the distinct sound of a revolver being cocked behind me. A Mineola cop had drawn on me upon seeing my gun when my shirt came up while bent over. Never asked for license or shield and ID, just cocked his revolver, which makes for a dangerously light trigger pull when adrenaline is flowing, and pointed it at me without saying a word.

I think those experiences, along with the ridiculous traffic, helped develop my dislike for LI, and headed me towards Westchester (for which I am eternally grateful). ;>) The riding's much better up here!

Speedo66 screwed with this post 03-02-2010 at 08:46 PM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #32
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker

Note the rectangular steel can modified to use as a parts catcher. I spotted one of these at an auction 25 years ago and have been copying the idea ever scince. Split the front, hammer the metal flat and there you have a sturdy box. I' ve made em from brake fluid cans, W-D 40 cans and olive oil cans. Any steel can. Lasts forever.
Looks like an old Triumph seat on the bike behind him.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 AM   #33
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder
No, I think you told us all you know, plus a bit more.
Well, you've been ignored.

Adios.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #34
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
It didn't take a chopper or attitude to attract police presence in the 60's, just riding a bike was enough. There weren't a lot of bikes on the road at that time, and riding one was like waving a red flag in front of a bull to the cops.

In '65 I had a new red Honda 305cc Super Hawk. I remember riding out on LI on Northern Blvd from Great Neck east. You pass through another village about every 5 minutes. That day I got stopped by 4 cops in 4 villages. It was almost a joke. Surprisingly enough, although I hadn't broken any laws, I didn't receive any tickets. Just warnings for riding a motorcycle.

Snip!

I think those experiences, along with the ridiculous traffic, helped develop my dislike for LI, and headed me towards Westchester (for which I am eternally grateful). ;>) The riding's much better up here!
It's not a funny story but you did have me laughing...!

I lived in Montclair, NJ for about ten years in the 90s and that was a particularly lousy place to ride a bike.

One day I was turning right into my drive way and got hit on the right side of my bike, by a "young woman in a hurry" who saw my blinker but just couldn't wait for me to make my turn.

She was in tears until the cops showed up and hen she told em that her uncle was a cop in the next town over. She walked and I was threatened with a ticket and worse if I insisted on them upholding the law.

A little while later, I actually had a cage driver try to run me off the road. The son-of-a-bitch crossed three lanes to cut me off and then watched to see if I crashed!

I was very happy to move off of the East Coast and now I'm out here in Cali where we can split lanes!! Wahoo!!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 12:25 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #35
A_Vasiliev
M-ass-ter Craftsman

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
A little while later, I actually had a cage driver try to run my off the road. The son-of-a-bitch crossed three lanes to cut me off and then watched to see if I crashed!
These sorts of people are freaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
Not going to happen.
A_Vasiliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 AM   #36
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 167
good old days

I got my first ride in 1967 a triumph TR6 . I liked to ride with out the mufflers and with more enthusiasm than the officers and general public liked.For a time I ran Snuff or nots in the headers. turn a knob and instant straight pipes turn again and sort of, not quiet, but less loud. I still love the sound an old triumph makes when you turn it up and it starts to pull hard. I learned to jump it on the hills in San Francisco. lot of time playing desert racer just before Japan started selling cheap good dirt bikes.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:18 AM   #37
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 167
edit

My first ride was a 1959 triumph forgot year in last post
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #38
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,308
In 1972, I was in college at Minot State, Minot N.D. (hold your applause!).

On a warm spring day, I was tooling down the street on my stone-stock GREEN Yamaha DS6C (street scrambler) when a car pulled out from a sidestreet through a stop sign and nearly hit me.

I followed the car a few blocks until we both came to a stop at an intersection. I pulled up to a the lane next to the car. An elderly gentleman was driving, and his window was open.

I asked him, "Did you see me when you turned on to this street back there? You almost hit me."

His face screwed up with anger and he sputtered back, "Yes, I saw you! I should've run you over YOU BEATNICK!"

The memory of that old hatefull fart still makes me laugh! Beatnick?????

Not OUTLAW or even HIPPY!

Tom in Salem
Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #39
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok

A little while later, I actually had a cage driver try to run me off the road. The son-of-a-bitch crossed three lanes to cut me off and then watched to see if I crashed!

I was very happy to move off of the East Coast and now I'm out here in Cali where we can split lanes!! Wahoo!!
I hear you, late 70's, that big Olds 88 going well over 100 MPH on a deserted road, crossed the line when he was a few hundred feet away and left me a few inches to the shoulder.....! I tought about turning back, but my dad sold them Olds, I knew how fast they could go.....!

But the cops still managed to run me out of town, constant harassment, I moved to the Canadian West Coast where they were calling us Sir and giving us plenty of breaks....!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #40
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,486
Cool bunch of replies Dudes! I especially enjoyed the bits of personal family history!
Cheers.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #41
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
none the less, I wanna see someone go up to a group of 1%'ers & call em fags.

Doug
From the few I have met, it would be a pretty short encounter. They were nice to me as it was business related, but I dont think I would cross that line.

These are some cool old photos, about 10 to 20 years before my time and the area I grew up in had few bikers that werent riding dirt bikes. Lotta history in those photos, thanks to all for posting them.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #42
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Most that say things like the "fags" remark have no experience with true outlaws. Great friends and fearsome enemies. My Dad had many tattoos (didn't need a shirt) and told stories about them. Each piece of artwork had a story with it. I grew up around guys who dressed like that and rode those kinda bikes. They were some of the greatest people I ever met. True outlaws have a reason for their station in life and it's not about being "cool".
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #43
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Most that say things like the "fags" remark have no experience with true outlaws. Great friends and fearsome enemies. My Dad had many tattoos (didn't need a shirt) and told stories about them. Each piece of artwork had a story with it. I grew up around guys who dressed like that and rode those kinda bikes. They were some of the greatest people I ever met. True outlaws have a reason for their station in life and it's not about being "cool".
Pretty much like all people, theres good ones and bad ones.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #44
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Ever since I was a little kid, back in the 50's, I've admired those guys and chicks.

I remember riding in the back seat of my parents car in the central valley of California (between the East Bay and Stockton) and being passed by large groups of motorcyclists, some riding two up, others solo.

I had no idea what kind of motorcycles they were, probably a mix, but they were all loud.

I think those early memories are why I'm so obsessed with motorcycles over 50 years later.

Call them fags if you want, they wouldn't have cared about your opinion (although they might have kicked your ass just for the fun of it), and the style was their own, appropriated by the gay community in the late 70's.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #45
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,833
So are they the Outlaws based out of Chicago? I hope not! I got no use for clubsters. Wasn't their president busted for murder and extortion a few years back? I got to admit that their clubhouse in Chicago was/is(?) pretty cool. They almost ruined AMA GNC flat track racing and were the cause of decades long cancellations at both Springfield and Du Quion. I hope it isn't those guys and if it is I hope they shouldn't be on this forum.

Real bikers are real bikers. Clubsters are a different story.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote