Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #46
D1LL0N
Riverdale Stomp, Baby.

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
I was lucky enough to find a first edition of that book several years ago. I was told its worth some bucks now. It was reissued a few years ago.
I love that one pic called 'crossing the ohio' with the guy on the bridge.

as for calling them fags? yeah, do it to their faces. I wont even voice my opinion of someone who would say something so stupid.

being a biker 40 years ago meant something. its not like it is today, where all the 'bikers' ride around & try to look like badasses on the weekend. livin that lifestyle wasnt easy, everyone looked down on them, cops always hasslin them. Most of the stuff they wore was to 'shock the squares', not because they were neonazis.

when I chopped my 1st bike back in the 80's, I remember how I was treated by people. and cops. it was rough at times. its easy now, thanks to the yuppies & the tv shows. I miss the old days (ok, not the hassles by cops so much....)

One of the funniest things I remember from back then, is riding down the hiway at about 60, & was going past a car. the lady driving the car looked over, her eyes got wide, & then she reached over & locked her door!
I started laughing so fucking hard I almost fell off the bike.

squares. gotta love em. even the ones on ADV

Doug
You need help down off your soapbox grandpa?
D1LL0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #47
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
I was a high school drop out, living in the poorest section of Seattle and I was taken in by a guy running a chopper and British bike shop. It was about 1977 and I ended up learning how to work on all sorts of odd bikes, and we used to cruise around the Pacific Northwest in an old van, looking for antique motorcycles. I have been hooked on the old iron ever since. A lot of Gypsy Jokers and real tough dudes would come by the shop, all of who took a liking to me, it was a very formative experience, if my parents only know the kind of guys I was with!
The shop owner could whip out restorations of Indians, Harleys, Triumphs, Ariels, Hendersons.... geez, of course I was to naive to know where the money was coming from to do it!
Another mechanic at the shop, fixed me up with a brand new military surplus Indian motor to put in my first Indian restoration, which I purchased with the money from washing dishes at my dad's restaurant.

A 1990s photo of a couple of influential bikers in my life.

Hanging out at the Chopper shop.... lot of crazy $hit went down here.

The shop owner passed this old Chief on to me, I restored it and have it 30 years later...

The engine that started it all for me...

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #48
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,438
Learning to work [successfully!] on your own bike is one of the best trips a bloke can have!
I still get strange looks from a lot of guys when you say work on your own gear, I take it for granted that most blokes[& birds!] do their own wrenching don't they?
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #49
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
This was no party.
Man, would I ever feel silly wearing riding gear with dog collars draped all over it and conchos and swasticas and all that nonsense.

But then, that's one reason I don't ride Harleys.[/QUOTE]

Harley?
Just hop on the Church St trolly in San Francisco. Pretty cheap entertainment.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #50
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post
In 1972, I was in college at Minot State, Minot N.D. (hold your applause!).

On a warm spring day, I was tooling down the street on my stone-stock GREEN Yamaha DS6C (street scrambler) when a car pulled out from a sidestreet through a stop sign and nearly hit me.

I followed the car a few blocks until we both came to a stop at an intersection. I pulled up to a the lane next to the car. An elderly gentleman was driving, and his window was open.

I asked him, "Did you see me when you turned on to this street back there? You almost hit me."

His face screwed up with anger and he sputtered back, "Yes, I saw you! I should've run you over YOU BEATNICK!"

The memory of that old hatefull fart still makes me laugh! Beatnick?????

Not OUTLAW or even HIPPY!

Tom in Salem
Didja have that Maynard G. Krebs goatee goin' for ya or sometin?

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #51
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1LL0N View Post
You need help down off your soapbox grandpa?

Actually, Marshall Dillon, having arrived in San Francisco in 1970, I have similar reminiscences. I, too, sort of got adopted by a group of dedicated "riders", if yu will. I recall one guy I called the "Dirt Man" who always wore leather I don't think he ever took off. His skin matched, and all you could see was the whites of his eyes. Inky taught me a lot about Indians. Paul wrote poetry.

I remember one night at the usual bar, we got to debating BMW vs Harleys. (I rode an R60/2 with a Cobra seat- believe it or not) Finally, about 15 of us went down to the Great Highway for a drag race, where I would clean this guys clock.

...he took off like my pistons were welded to the jugs.

I paid for a lot of beer that night.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #52
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
So are they the Outlaws based out of Chicago? I hope not! I got no use for clubsters. Wasn't their president busted for murder and extortion a few years back? I got to admit that their clubhouse in Chicago was/is(?) pretty cool. They almost ruined AMA GNC flat track racing and were the cause of decades long cancellations at both Springfield and Du Quion. I hope it isn't those guys and if it is I hope they shouldn't be on this forum.

Real bikers are real bikers. Clubsters are a different story.

The "biker" club types did ruin the Charity Newsies at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus. The one street right beside the entrance was always lined with clapped out rust and what my former employer called "dirty necks". They did so much crap along there, tearing up and down the road (good thing they weren't on Z1s with some real horsepower back then) and eventually after enough crap and people being injured and a few killed, the event was no longer held.

One more down due to the idiots. Those people may think they're "true bikers", but they're not. They're just self centered ego driven thugs. The real bikers were there and some looked like the jerks, maybe even watching the idiocy, but they weren't participants and they were pissed too when there was no more AMA GNC Charity Newsies Half Mile anymore.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #53
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
Outlaws. The Real Deal.

This was no party.
Nowadays, they would call that a piece of authentic "American folk art", and it would probably go for big bucks at the proper auction house.

Can't say I'm impressed with their "wimin" though.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #54
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,394
Been riding since the 70's and my first experience with outlaw bikers was when I saw one pulled over by the cops, I was riding my 67 Yamaha 305 YM2C and didn't pay much attention and went on my way to my buddies.

My friend and I headed out for a ride when I felt a handgrab me while I was riding, somehow I got to a stop without falling and the outlaw held on to me till we were stopped and started giving me greif saying I was laughing at him when he was pulled over by the cop.

I got no respect what so ever for this trash.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #55
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
The "biker" club types did ruin the Charity Newsies at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus. The one street right beside the entrance was always lined with clapped out rust and what my former employer called "dirty necks". They did so much crap along there, tearing up and down the road (good thing they weren't on Z1s with some real horsepower back then) and eventually after enough crap and people being injured and a few killed, the event was no longer held.

One more down due to the idiots. Those people may think they're "true bikers", but they're not. They're just self centered ego driven thugs. The real bikers were there and some looked like the jerks, maybe even watching the idiocy, but they weren't participants and they were pissed too when there was no more AMA GNC Charity Newsies Half Mile anymore.
So it is them? Why are they on this forum?

Yea, I didn't mention the permanently canceled stuff because of those guys. They killed about a ten year old girl in Du Quoin. A friend saw a bunch of them shoot a Illinois State Trooper's horse in the neck at the '78 AMA GNC Peoria TT. Maybe it was '77? I am really all for decriminalizing drugs but I got no use for motorcycle chop shops, extortion, manslaughter, and murder. At least out west here the clubsters have mostly just been killing each other lately. THAT'S cool! (Not really but what are pictures of clubsters doing here?)

supershaft screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 12:38 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #56
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,092
Countdown till an enjoyable retro/cultural mc photo thread, ends up transferred down to Jo momma.

3, 2, 1...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #57
A_Vasiliev
M-ass-ter Craftsman

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Countdown till an enjoyable retro/cultural mc photo thread, ends up transferred down to Jo momma.
This was supposed to be a photo thread? For some reason all the photos in it were posted in two posts, everything else has been discussion. Hardly what I would call a "photo thread"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
Not going to happen.
A_Vasiliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #58
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
I was on my way home from the AMA halfmile at Louisville Downs in 1980. I was alone on my 3rd hand 860 Ducati GT. The Duc had been blessed with a gas tank designed by some car stylist and that was a problem .The thing had pepcocks with reserve but the way the tank was made when you went on reseve they only held enough gas for 3/4 of a mile. Basicly worthless.
Anyway, I was almost to Frankfort when I had to switch to reserve then dead out. Before I got off the bike an Outlaw packing a sleepy old lady on the back pulled up beside me.When I told him I was out of gas , he said OK I'll peg you.
I thought he meant he was going to push my bike by the footpeg but , he said no I was to stiff arm his lower triple with my left arm and steer with the right.
I'm pretty stout but , it was all I could do to keep the arm straight while he shifted through the gears. His Harley was a 4 speed and they have a big change in ratios between 3 rd and 4th. When he hit 4th that was the real test. Once up to speed no problem. He pushed me for 8-10 miles at 60 or so then off the ramp and right up to the pump.
He saved me a lot of walking.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #59
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
All this stuff was well before my time, I was born in the late 70s.
I got a taste of the culture though when I read the Hells Angels book, can't remember the author and then watched Easy Rider as I had never seen it. People DID NOT like motorcyclists. Kind of scary stuff. No wonder they travelled in gangs, so they were left alone.

We are lucky nowadays
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #60
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Vasiliev View Post
Hardly what I would call a "photo thread"
So Shirley you can contribute some post Soviet Union, mc gang violence/murder/mayhem stories,
to add to the mix ?

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote