User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Dahveed OP
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,560
DFW Area Dual Sport road mapping project

I've created a new google map to try and document all the good DS roads in the area. If you have some roads you would like to contribute to this map you can either PM me the roads or become a collaborator and be able to add the roads yourself. We're claiming this map should go as far north as the OK border, west to Breckenridge, east to this side of Tyler, and south to about the I-35 split.

We're looking for some quality roads here - scenic and fun, either paved or gravel. They must be public roads to be included in this map.

Here is a good link to the map. I seem to be having some problem embedding a working map here.

View DFW Area DS Roads in a larger map

This map is meant to compliment the excellent Austin area map, discussion found here

View Hill Country Dirt Roads, Texas Dual Sport Rides in a larger map
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 01-24-2010 at 07:40 PM
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
endoman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
DS Dirt Road Route...Frisco to Lake Texoma

I have a dual sport route from Frisco to Lake Texoma on almost all dirt roads. Two bridges out just north of Highway 380, but passable with a DS bike. I have the GPS route and MapSource file, but I donít know how to get them on the Google Maps without rerouting them.
endoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Dahveed OP
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoman
I have a dual sport route from Frisco to Lake Texoma on almost all dirt roads. Two bridges out just north of Highway 380, but passable with a DS bike. I have the GPS route and MapSource file, but I donít know how to get them on the Google Maps without rerouting them.
Can you send me a GPX file? I might be able to import that into the map. Or just list the roads and send it to me or become a collaborator and add them yourself.

That would be a good ride to have on the map!
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Dahveed OP
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Here is the GPS file.
Endo, unless its a GPX file, I really won't be able to do anything with it, and even then I'm no wizard at this GPS magic. Regardless though, it didn't come through.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
endoman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Attempted to post .jpg and .gpx files and both failed. I am new to this forum, so maybe operator error?
endoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Dahveed OP
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Attempted to post .jpg and .gpx files and both failed. I am new to this forum, so maybe operator error?
I sent you an email. Send me the GPX file and I'll see what I can do with it.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
RetroG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
endoman, do you live in Frisco or nearby. I work there.
RetroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
I'm in Frisco and I'm interested in that route. I might already ride part of it.

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....

iphorde screwed with this post 01-30-2010 at 08:52 PM
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Dahveed OP
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphorde
I'm in Frisco and I'm interested in that route. I might already ride part of it.
The route can be downloaded or viewed at GPXhange.com. Iphorde, I thnk you're a member of that forum, or someone else is using your screen name there.

I can send it too you when I get home, currently I'm using someone's else's computer to check the forum.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 01-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,766
I've ridden many roads within 200 miles of dfw, that's what I do every weekend so I've got a bunch of good roads. I will post or upload when I get time at my comp and I'm not posting from my phone.

I've learned garmin and google don't know what is paved but I now know what is paved gravel or dirt from experience.
EnderTheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,939

I'm so pleased to finally see dualsporters ride the LBJ Grasslands area. I've been trying to get folks to ride out there for better 'n 15 years.

Folks are so entrenched in their view of motorcyclists as bad people, one lady in a minivan at the Grasslands had the audacity to stop and tell my husband and I that "motorcycles are illegal" there. I laughed out loud and told her my plated, street-legal bike was every bit as legal as her minivan.
K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Dahveed OP
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2

I'm so pleased to finally see dualsporters ride the LBJ Grasslands area. I've been trying to get folks to ride out there for better 'n 15 years.

Folks are so entrenched in their view of motorcyclists as bad people, one lady in a minivan at the Grasslands had the audacity to stop and tell my husband and I that "motorcycles are illegal" there. I laughed out loud and told her my plated, street-legal bike was every bit as legal as her minivan.
Minivans and Suburbans should be illegal, IMHO. I wish gas was $4 a gallon again so all those gas-guzzling cars and trucks would stay at home. The gas they're wasting is gas better used for motorcycles.

Texas Shaddow noted some points of interest up there. Can you highlight any roads in particular that are great to ride? I've been by there and didn't know there was any good riding up there. Let me know the good roads and I'll go again.

Or you can show me the roads and I'll highlight them...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Weve been driving up and down that highway for years and I had no idea there was a national grasslands park there.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2

It is my favorite place close-by to 'escape'. I also enjoy camping there.

When riding in that area, we always make it a point to wave and smile at others, especially the equine people. They are the most avid anti-bike-ers.

I'm itching to get back there for a weekend and re-visit one of my favorite small/ghost towns -Greenwood- and the roads up near Red River. I see a camping trip maybe this month.........
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
Dahveed OP
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShadow
It is my favorite place close-by to 'escape'. I also enjoy camping there.

When riding in that area, we always make it a point to wave and smile at others, especially the equine people. They are the most avid anti-bike-ers.
Well, I can understand why some people are anti-biker. Those pirate types with the super loud pipes don't endear me to motorcyclists in general. I saw a guy today with a patch on his back that said "loud pipes save lives". There may be some truth in that, but since this guy wasn't wearing a helmet, safety was only a rationalization for his choice of exhaust system.

Its like a lot of things, a few bad people give the rest of us a bad reputation. Nobody remembers the quiet motorcyclist driving responsibly in traffic. They remember the loud pipes or sport biker weaving through traffic with his t-shirt flapping in the wind.

When I tell people that I'm riding a motorcycle now, most assume I've got a HD with loud pipes and am out there wearing my "Harleyween" costume every weekend. Most don't even know what a DS bike is or realize that not every bike is a cruiser, chopper, or crotch-rocket.

I go out of my way to be friendly. I also make it a point to wave to police officers and cars and trucks I pass on the CRs. I also slow down when approaching traffic or houses on those infrequently traveled roads. I could be a better and more patient rider on the city streets. It would be both safer for me and better for motorcyclist relations. I'll work on that.

Sorry for the long reply. Hey, why aren't you out there riding today? I'm watching my kids, but the rest of you should be out enjoying the decent weather...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R