Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #1546
JaiDee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY
I was wondering where you had been. Long time no hear! Glad you had a chance to catch up on the ride reports. Camping has been a lot of fun. We have had some great weather for it. I look forward to hooking up when you get back in country. Give us a shout. Take care.
Things have been pretty busy down here with work Tim, so I'm especially envious to see all your pictures and read your ride reports. Looks like you've been having a ball! Good on ya buddy! When I get back I'll be sure to give ya a call and catch up.

-JD
- Robert Frost
"Charter Member of the T.O. Club" '08 WR250R, '05 F650GS Dakar
JaiDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #1547
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY
I had a great time riding with you Nate and was good to get to visit with you a bit at Toad Suck. I think you had the biggest challenge of all riding in all of that fog without a GPS to rely on. I would have been a nervous Nelly if I had of been in your shoes. You did a great job riding the fog out. Your Mrs. deserves some praise for the great brownies. Thanks for sharing them with us. They were good to the last crumb. 10Cup, Charlie, and I had pretty much the same weather going back but the fog didnt seem to be quite as wet as it was on Saturday. Take care and we'll do it again soon I hope.
I've ridden in some pretty thick fog before, just not that fast.

I knew y'all wouldn't leave me behind but I had a couple NF maps and a GPS in my pocket, just in case, you proved me wrong...

nlp
Old 11-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #1548
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
fog

Nate,
The fog was bad. My GPS was out and the ride north was tops. Did the fog get any thinner after I peeled north at 123?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #1549
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty69
Nate,
The fog was bad. My GPS was out and the ride north was tops. Did the fog get any thinner after I peeled north at 123?
The fog didn't really improve until after noon. I finally took my glasses off and closed my shield, which made navigating a lot easier. Off course keeping up with the speed demons was the biggest challenge.

nlp
Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #1550
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,460
we have to remember....

to ride our own ride..all this talk of "trying to keep up" concerns me..we all do the leap frog, well most of us any way and riding faster than your comfort speed, especially in FOG isn't much fun...so slow down and let them guys in front wait for you at the next turn..I for one do not mind waiting at all...I feel better knowing that you're still in for the ride while I await for you.
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #1551
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,052
Perzactly Doc! I've seen too many people get hurt trying to keep up with the leaders back in my sportbike days. It's not a race and if the leaders dont wait for you at the next turn ya need better friends.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #1552
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
to ride our own ride..all this talk of "trying to keep up" concerns me..we all do the leap frog, well most of us any way and riding faster than your comfort speed, especially in FOG isn't much fun...so slow down and let them guys in front wait for you at the next turn..I for one do not mind waiting at all...I feel better knowing that you're still in for the ride while I await for you.
Thanks for the concern Doc. I've bailed on rides before, particularly a trip into Brock Creek, w/ my pig... I would have bailed on this ride, had I felt I was riding in a reckless manner. Of course riding in the fog presents it own challenges regardless of the terrain. I now realize the value of having an on-board GPS and will be adding one to my "wish-list". I just hate to have to learn, yet another, computerized gadget.

nlp
Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #1553
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin
...ya need better friends.
I can't seem to keep good friends. They always want me to pay em back...

nlp
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #1554
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain
Thanks for the concern Doc. I've bailed on rides before, particularly a trip into Brock Creek, w/ my pig... I would have bailed on this ride, had I felt I was riding in a reckless manner. Of course riding in the fog presents it own challenges regardless of the terrain. I now realize the value of having an on-board GPS and will be adding one to my "wish-list". I just hate to have to learn, yet another, computerized gadget.

nlp
Nate, for sure just ride your own pace, the guys you were riding with match speed pretty well. If we see your headlights and your not dropping back then all must be good. If too fast just drop back and the leaders will come back to you. Works very well, that and the leap frogging so that we don't get separated. Sorry if you were not comfortable with the speed. Hope to have you ride with us again, but just speak you peace man we all have very thick skin.. not racing just having fun. We can have fun at most any pace. When you get the GPS your talking about you get your turn at the front........we share the route ahead of time so everyone gets to be the lead dog.....(the view is much better too........especially if your behind me, Oleary, or Charlie )
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #1555
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Thanks for the concern Doc. I've bailed on rides before, particularly a trip into Brock Creek, w/ my pig...

nlp
I've bailed at Brock before and I was a on a 250 two stroke, there is some TOUGH stuff out there.
I don't pretend to be fast, I ride at my own pace and as long as nothing is broke I'll catch up.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #1556
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Dang it... I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. If a guy isn't pushing his limits, he isn't growing...

The only thing that would hinder me from riding w/ y'all again is resources or the "play-with-me" pleas of a few snot-nosed kids...

nlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
Sorry if you were not comfortable with the speed. Hope to have you ride with us again, but just speak you peace man we all have very thick skin.. not racing just having fun. ...(the view is much better too........especially if your behind me, Oleary, or Charlie )
Old 11-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #1557
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 13,587
Quote:
Dang it... I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. If a guy isn't pushing his limits, he isn't growing...

The only thing that would hinder me from riding w/ y'all again is resources or the "play-with-me" pleas of a few snot-nosed kids...

nlp
I mentioned this to Mike and Tim on the way home, I have never flown a plane before but that has to be the closest to flying IFR that I have every been and our GPS units made it easier but NOT safer. Our trip home was a LOT worse than the trip down. We had one section of about 20 miles that you literally could not see more than a bike length ahead. The fog was terrible but what made it more dangerous was the asshat hunters driving down the road in their pickups WITHOUT LIGHTS! Yikes!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #1558
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
I mentioned this to Mike and Tim on the way home, I have never flown a plane before but that has to be the closest to flying IFR that I have every been and our GPS units made it easier but NOT safer. Our trip home was a LOT worse than the trip down. We had one section of about 20 miles that you literally could not see more than a bike length ahead. The fog was terrible but what made it more dangerous was the asshat hunters driving down the road in their pickups WITHOUT LIGHTS! Yikes!
I had similar fog this morning, on the way in to work and the city slickers don't turn their lights on either.

Here's a pic I took, a few years back, while on my way to Hot Springs for a Motorcycle Safety Course...

nlp
Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #1559
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

nlp
Understood! We really enjoyed having you ride with us too Nate.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #1560
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
Yes and that's a fact. We are inching along in the thick fog and all of a sudden here comes a big dually..........no lights. Glad we were all on our own side of the trail! Equally as bad were the hunters that just stopped in the road with no lights, all you see is the tail gate at the last minute........I would have complained but well they had guns.