User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #1591
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
167 miles of bliss

I met up with Dave, a rider I met from the TWT forum, and left the house at about 9 AM. I have never treked with this guy so I wanted to get an idea of his skills. We headed three miles south of my house on HWY 23, just past Channas Corner, and took a left into the Madison County Wildlife Management area. This is a four mile quickie that will test a rider. It has speed flats, hills, loose gravel, creek crossing, hard packed winding road through the tight trees and an occasional corner that jumps out at ya. Good test track. I found Dave made it fine, in fact I immediately knew that I had a rider to hang with. Kinda like DRZCharlie and Doc. I guess it is because of hunting season because there are roads open that are not normally open. We took a couple of these and ended up at a cave site in the south part of the management area. We crossed some slippery rocks to rest by the bluffs. Being the first time we met we spent some time just getting to know one another...where do you live....what do you do...nice bike....any mods....you know the bullshit talk.
We had to cross the slippery rocks before we left this area. I crossed with a slip that tossed my bike 90 degrees to the left...I did touch a foot in the 12 inch water but straightened out the bike and continued across the creek. I stopped and held up Dave so I could get a photo. While crossing the creek he dropped his bike in the water before I could get a photo. I ran into the water to help him get his bike up and out of the water. Luckily his bike was fine and he handled it great too. I thought it may end his day of riding but he toughed it out and followed onward.
Another twenty miles of riding and we ended up in Marble, Arkansas just south of Marshall Ford. This is a gas stop for me because I still have the factory, 2.2 gallon tank. I filled up and off we went towards Petigrew. This part of the ride was unbelievable! I do have photos I will post tomorrow. There was no dust so Dave rode nice. There was a lot of people out on the backroads so we had to watch out for cars and trucks. The weather was perfect. Everything great. I did wish my gps worked. I rode all this by memory and did make a couple mistakes which had us doing some backtracking, but not much. We crossed the War Eagle Creek just north of Petigrew and crossed one more mountain to Hwy 16, then slabbed it three miles to the post office.
Just past the Post office we turned south again to head towards Turner Bend for gas and a sandwich. This portion was incredible. The leaves absence made the views more expansive. The sun was out and it was about 60 degrees by now. We took our time here and probably should have not. By the time we left Turner Bend it was 3 PM. Now, I don't like the pavement but Dave was a little concerned about deer hitting him. So, we road the pavement to Witter and cut over east to make our trek on Dirt. I kind of master planned this to avoid the slab. We road into my driveway just before dark. Five o'clock and ready for a beer and dinner. Man, wished I had my gps. We could have covered another 100 miles with it. It just makes me wonder........Are our gps units clouding our sense of direction? 10 years ago I could have made the trip with a paper map and intuition. With that said, I bought another gps today! Wish you were with us!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #1592
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,926
As they say Scotty..."Pictures or it didn't happen" Glad you had a good ride.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #1593
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Gottcha, photos coming.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #1594
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Photos to boot!

Dave showed up around 8:45. We never met in person but know each other from TWT forum. Here is Dave unloading his DRZ!

We hit the trail for a "test ride" and stop at the caves in the Madison County Wildlife Management Area. Rest time.

After Dave spills it in the creek I get his photo. Hey, I had to help him. I probably should have just stood there and took the photo, but something in me said help him.

We are stopped about 10 miles south of hwy 412 to take a photo.

Just some good o'l Ozark mountain beauty. Another photo of Marshall Ford on the way home. Good Ride. Felt a little push from the texan to get home by dark. I guess he was right. I try to do that anyway, but yesterday I would have ridden to midnight.

Charlie, Photos do make a difference.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #1595
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oops, forgot the after-the-spill photo...
Old 11-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #1596
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Ok, now it happened!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #1597
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,805
I wanna ride!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #1598
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
I wanna ride!

Start groveling. Mzz Sharn might let you go.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #1599
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty69
Man, wished I had my gps. We could have covered another 100 miles with it. It just makes me wonder........Are our gps units clouding our sense of direction? 10 years ago I could have made the trip with a paper map and intuition. With that said, I bought another gps today! Wish you were with us!

I have noticed that too... For me it is probably old age and no short term memory... i think the real culprit, is before we had GPS we paid attention to every intersection, and scanned the horizon for land marks so we could find our way home.... Now being used to having the GPS, I just ride and don't worry with where I am turning.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE

wswartzwel screwed with this post 11-29-2010 at 06:20 AM
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #1600
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,369
His drz looks good! The headlight is nice, and it looks like he has an rm style front and possibly a different rear fender? I like!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #1601
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

That's a Drz 400 "E" with a stock rear fender. I believe the the headlight/cowl is an Acerbis (I think).
Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #1602
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
I wanna ride!
Go find one of the goats.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #1603
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
Go find one of the goats.
it'll take more than one!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #1604
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Headlight is an acerbis. I like the steering damper system he dad. Wonder what those cost?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #1605
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty69
Headlight is an acerbis. I like the steering damper system he dad. Wonder what those cost?
They arent cheap! $300 to $600+.