Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #211
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
I'm gonna post up with pics later this evening. I had to stop by my dad's to see why my rear brake quit working. Got it fixed now, will be posting once I get home and get everything uploaded.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #212
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70
Rode all day. Went to Docs, DTZDR came too. Then to Oark, where we ate, bs'd and parted with DTZDR who came all the way from LR. Me and Doc rode to Mossey Creek. More BS, parted ways, I came home via crossing Ole Deep. Tried to ride it without putting a foot down and right away damn near wound up in the creek. Rocks are super slick. Had to paddle it across. Feet never got wet, I love these Garne Touring boots.

End Report.
Ole deep...is that where we turned around when I hurt my back?
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #213
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

The Three Ds go to Oark (or How Far Will I Ride For Dirt?)

That is, Dan, Darren, and Duane (aka Doc, Elvis, and DTZDR).

So last night, Elvis invited any of you losers from NWA to ride Possum Creek with him and Doc. Naturally, you couldn't make it. So I had to step into the breach, even if I am a central Arkansas boy.

So, woke up at 0 dark thirty, messaged and called Doc for directions, and set off for Drakes Creek from Little Rock. Rode solid interstate all the way to Ozark, which was boring but did show me that the DR could do it just fine. Once I got on 23, the ride got a lot better. I've had a broken ankle almost the entire time I've had this bike, so I was pleasantly surprised by how it takes curves on pavement, even with some knobbies on. Got up to HWY 16, turned towards Huntsville, and never could find that intersection of 16 and 295. So I rode on into Huntsville then came back down 74. Thsis time I found 295, found Doc's road, then had to stop and call when I was almost there 'cause I suddenly became certain that I had turned down the wrong road. Doc told me to keep comin' and dispatched Elvis to find me, which he did. Got to Doc's, he filled my gas tank, and we set off.

From Doc's, we rode down Lollar's Creek Rd for a few miles until we came to HWY 16. This road was a good warmup, as it was a tiny bit rough and it had a pretty good water crossing (my first). We crossed 16 and immediately started down Possum Creek Rd. Doc explained that there were a lot of water crossings and that the road alternately became a county road then logging road and then a forest service road. If I had been in a car, I wouldn't have called it a road. When we got into the logging area, we came upon a logging crew loading up their truck. So we had to wait there.

Up to that point, the road had been pretty flat. After that, we started to climb. This part got a little bumpy but wasn't too bad, and once again I was pleased with the way my DR handled everything. We got to the top and stopped for the call of nature.

You may have noticed that Doc and Elvis allowed me to be their official photographer, since they conveniently forgot their cameras, or something.
Often during this ride, Doc would tell me about some landmark or trail that was near where we were, but I was pretty lost, so I had a hard time with that. He said we were near Mill Creek, at one point.

So then we rode Bidville, and then I'm not sure but I think we crossed 23, then we rode Fly Gap to 215. I think we stopped on Bidville so we could take a couple pics of a controlled burn off in the distance.

Elvis was in that one.

We stopped on Fly Gap (I think) to take some big rock pics.

From these you can see where 23 washed away.

Me

Elvis

Two sweet bikes

Doc

Doc and Elvis at Oark

Food

So after going through the constructin on 215, we made it to Oark. Ordered up, then watched as some Harley guys, that we had passed on 215, came in later. I think they had a little trouble with the giant pile of dirt that the highway dept was directing all riders through. Then we sat around and BSd, talked to some other riders outside, then parted ways.

I finished out 215, rode 21 into Clarksville, then hit the freeway again. Made it as far as Atkins, then bailed anf hit 64 east. Then hit 9 to 10, into west Little Rock. As I slowed for the first stop light in town, I noticed that my rear brake was really mushy. Got to my dad's, since he has lots of tools and parts, and found this.

Check your nuts and bolts, kids.

Fixed that and headed home. It was a good day.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #214
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,540
it was a good day indeed!...and was tickled to see my girls in the 1st pic!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #215
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Great report and pictures Duane! I see Doc introduced you to his favorite girl friends..errrrr....I mean goats? Looks like you guys had a great ride today. I think I could see Doc in his Hi-Vis from my living room today. There was a bright spot on the horizon all day. Glad you noticed the brake problem before something bad happened.

I'm glad I didn't ride today as my back was hurting a bit from yesterdays ride. Better now though!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #216
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys, it was a fantastic day!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #217
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
Ole deep...is that where we turned around when I hurt my back?
No, if you turned off of 74 on to 295 like heading to Docs, but instead turned again immediately on the first dirt road off 295 to the right, just a few hundred feet from 74, which takes you past the drakes creek church you come to a bridge that is out. BTW there is no warning and it is a 5 foot drop off the end. Little 4 wheeler trail to the right of the bridge takes you too a crossing. I say there is no way anybody could ride it without putting a foot down. It is absolutely like snot on glass.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #218
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
No, if you turned off of 74 on to 295 like heading to Docs, but instead turned again immediately on the first dirt road off 295 to the right, just a few hundred feet from 74, which takes you past the drakes creek church you come to a bridge that is out. BTW there is no warning and it is a 5 foot drop off the end. Little 4 wheeler trail to the right of the bridge takes you too a crossing. I say there is no way anybody could ride it without putting a foot down. It is absolutely like snot on glass.
Typical that it isn't marked. Yeah Doc routed me through that a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't so slick then. I figured his bath in Lollers Creek was his payback for that!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #219
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
Was nice riding with you Duane. Had a good day.

Of course nobody has yet mentioned that while we waited on Duane Doc wanted to show me his new trail he made. Well we go down his private road a ways till we are ready to turn off into the woods for the big shortcut. Doc tries to hop up and over a pretty big bar ditch that I think I would of bottomed out on. He didn't make it and rolled about 5 feet from his bike down the ditch line. It was funny as hell, and apparently he didn't rea injure his leg. Damn it was funny.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #220
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Well he did say it was a "little challenging" didn't he?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #221
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,925
DTZDR next time you'll have to come meet me and I'll take the Forest route up that way.
Have great dirt roads the whole way, We'll run the TAT to Oark, but plan on a looong day if that happens. I can be in Oark if I rush from Springfield Ar in about 2 hours.

Nice report.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 AM   #222
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
DTZDR next time you'll have to come meet me and I'll take the Forest route up that way.
Have great dirt roads the whole way, We'll run the TAT to Oark, but plan on a looong day if that happens. I can be in Oark if I rush from Springfield Ar in about 2 hours.

Nice report.
Zecat, that sounds great. It sure would be nice to start on the dirt a little closer to home.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #223
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,540
Quote:
Damn it was funny.
yeah..HA HA! Xr went from a dirt bike to a catapult!....you had to be there (would have been nice too as the XR was very heavy to pick up!)
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #224
motobone
Free for all!

Oddometer: 222
Sweet report DTZDR

Did you guys ride up the rock? It's not as bad as it seems, just don't slow down.

Nice report and a long ride. Wow, my hats off to you for doing it all in one day -slab, twisties, and dirt. Well, I guess thats why they call it dual sportin'.

Here's a video Justin and Pete shot a few months back.

Crazy Rock Ride from Justin Weiss on Vimeo.

motobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #225
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Cool video, hb. Elvis made some crack about how he often thought about riding up that rock. Then he said he was gonna keep thinkin' about it haha. Did your guys in the vid ride off the back of the rock? And yes, as I was riding home I thought that I was indeed dual-sportin'.