Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #241
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70
I like the shot of the AG planes big radial. Need to put one of those into a motorcycle.
done!

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #242
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
I like the shot of the AG planes big radial. Mostly turbines now days. Need to put one of those into a motorcycle.

How about this,,,,,,,

I would have put it in a xr650r frame.

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #243
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Damn that is crazy. Needs a bash plate.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #244
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,125
Quote:

You know for the money you got in that XR650R you could of bought Razors 950SE. But then you would of had to start hanging out with the orange crush snobs. How loud is that pipe?
I've sat on the 950 SE when they were new at Bill Eddys. Just like Harley did with the Buell Ulysses they had the sag set as low as possible. It was a reach at that setting so set for 210 plus gear I would have not been able to ride it off road.

That exhaust isn't packed. [correct me if I'm wrong Travis]

Travis rode behind me and says it's not any louder than his pipe. Just different. [stock pipe/muffler with the HRC tip]

I really don't like loud pipes. It's one of the many reasons I sold my Harley. I had a stock exhaust but no one else did.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #245
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear
Travis rode behind me and says it's not any louder than his pipe. Just different. [stock pipe/muffler with the HRC tip]

I really don't like loud pipes. It's one of the many reasons I sold my Harley. I had a stock exhaust but no one else did.
I think my XR is louder..mine sounds like a pig grunting sometimes..my harley is loud, when I want it to be! But I ride quiet, sometimes!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #246
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
10cup is MIA so I get to do this: RIDE REPORTS ONLY!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #247
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTZDR
10cup is MIA so I get to do this: RIDE REPORTS ONLY!

Freakin Nazi! just sayin
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #248
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,538
Flatlanders in da Ozarks.

OK, it's Saturday morning. What should I do today?

Hmmmmm.

Lemme think about this.

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take some boys from Kansas for a gravel road tour of the hills and hollows.

My son Keith and I saddled up and met the others at Peters house for breakfast. Grant, Ron, and Lynn are from Hutchison, KS. They traveled here to see what all the fuss was about a hillbilly roller coaster (gravel roads hereabouts)
Jan fixed a wonderful brekkie for us and sent us on our way.

The weapons for the day.
Yellaphant and KiLleR.

The Baby Beemer.

The XR

A 2nd Gen KLR

And a Dizzer 400

From the left;
Grant, Peter, Ron, Lynn, Keith, and myself.

We made it about 5 miles and Peter ran out of fuel. A 2 gallon tank just don't go very far.
How many people does it take to get some gas from one bike to another?

Criminal rehabilitation at its best.

The first of many creek crossings we made today.

And you can find the oddest things sitting on the side of a gravel road here in the Ozarks. Odd, mighty odd...

I took the Flatlanders to see the artesian well. Quite the hop spot recently. Keith was going into nicotine withdrawals...

Me, Peter, Ron, Grant, and Lynn. Keith was the photog this time.

We wound our way through the hills, checking out places tucked out of the way. We turned onto a road I've never traveled before and immediately found this old building.

What was it? An old home? Perhaps a country store? I had to find out. So I crawled over the fence to check it out.

An old church. Complete with some pews, pulpit, and a two barrel stove.
The old building still appeared to be structurally sound. I love finding old places still standing. A testimony to craftsmanship.

We saddled back up and continued west. Found another creek crossing. Keith took the camera and went across first. As he reached the other side we noticed that he bobbled a bit. Hmmmm, just a bit slippery. Be careful Boys.
I was next. Yellaphant isn't given to a heavy throttle hand when in a situation like this, so I had no shame in using feet for outriggers.

Peter was next and apparently outriggers are de rigeur.

Lynn was next, keeping the tradition.

Ron was next. He's gonna show us how it's done. Standing up, in control.

Grant was last across. Good form. Standing up. Approaching with confidence.

Grant did great till about 4 feet from the end. Just a lil bit too much throttle got us this great closeup of a rear throwing up a few gallons of H2O.

OK, enough riding for the moment. It's time for lunch. We dropped down to US 62 and ran into Harrison and stopped at Neighbours Grill & Bakery for lunch. This is a mighty fine place to eat. They don't even mind if you confiscate another table to stash all your riding gear on.
Obligatory face stuffing pics.

Belly's full, it's time to get back on the road. Head East y'all.
We found this creek crossing. It was running deep and the approach was slippery. We passed...

Coming to an intersection we found this old place. No mortar used in the building of the chimney. Wonderful to see.

There was an outbuilding hidden back in the trees.

A marked contrast between old world and high tech.

And right across the road we find of all things, an empty swimming pool. Go figure.

A coupla more old homesteads tucked away in these hills.

We finangled our way over hill and dale till we found ourselves in Zinc, AR. Not much here. Zinc's biggest claim to fame is being headquarters for the KKK.
Before this slab was poured over the creek this elevated bridge was the only way to cross and keep yer feet dry.

The faithful steeds await...

So, what better way to repay their faithfulness than to take 'em to see some country like this.

Well y'all, that's it for Saturdays ride. 145 miles total. Almost all gravel. Time spent with one of my sons, one great friend, and three new friends. What a grand day.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #249
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
My Thursday Ride

I had mentioned that I was going to do about 237mile loop out of Huntsville and posted the route on this thread. Here is the write up on that ride. Since I have lost the report twice now.....I'm going to do this a bit at a time. Not sure what is causing it.

Here are some pictures of the ride.

Great roads soon as I got off the pavement..

A few old buildings sprinkled in and a good reason to make a pit stop.

How about a little old town too...

Had a great morning and it wasn't long before I see this..

Got seated right away too....food was delicious....special of the day Pork Chops....

Dessert..........Arkansas State Pie.....It's called Companies Coming Wicked good..........

Nice and relaxing too.

After Dinner I head out on my planned route and find this........

major slide area and have to back track...bummer.

So I do a re-route and end up in well...............here...

Then onto Hurricane Trail......looks like fun....

Little while later another photo op..

I push on and run past this camp site. Anyone familiar with this motorcycle club?

OK, it's now getting late in the after noon and I decide to re-route back to Rogers via shortest route........BIG MISTAKE....

Later, I'm posting this before I loose it for the third time.

OK I'm back......now for the "rest of the story"

I head out on my re-route and run right into a water crossing the JD and I had declined to cross not a week ago. Today it's late and I'm really thinking I can do this......it is a double dipper and the water on the "other" side is about the same size as what you see here...

I make it across with dry socks and run into about 10 miles of sticky ATV track........pure crap......after getting through that I'm getting tired too now. I then hit a rock and my camera flys off onto the road and the battery is in orbit somewhere over KS about now. But I did find the camera and the chip with all my 102 pictures I took on this trip so off I go.

Now I come to an even deeper crossing but do make it with dry socks.

On I go only to find another ATV trail, this is a county road but not maintained ...about a mile down the road ((*& happens! I go to cross another creek and loose momentum and drop into the water. Not deep and not real wet but with wet socks I pick up the bike and get ready to ride it out of the water but it won't start......

So I push it to where I can work on it and figure water in the exhaust/intake etc. Clean both out and yes some water but not bad. Still no joy...the right handle bar also went into the water so with the kill switch under water I turn my attention to it. I work on it take it apart dry it off etc. Notta.....by now it's getting very late and I'm way out in the back woods now.

I decide to check the rest of my gear and find my SPOT GPS locater missing!! Now I am worried because no one will know exactly where I'm at. It fell off some where back down the trail.

So I take my GPS off and in full riding gear decide to walk out to a major road or the first civilization I find. Thankful I have my Camelback and four energy bars. I start walking...........crap........no Double Crap!!

1.5 miles later I find myself in a box canyon that I cannot get out of! I am very tired and this is the most extreme terrain I have every had to walk in. Hills, deep ravines hugh boulders and lots of down trees from the ice storm. Very difficult walking and I now realize I have to go back to the bike and try the other direction...........1.5 miles back. I arrive at the bike unhurt but three hours later and near complete exhaustion.

My water is getting low too and it's starting to get dark. I keep walking on past the bike and walk for another hour. By now it's pitch black and all I have is a little LED flashlight. Thankfully it's working. My knees are almost gone and I'm not sure I can go on much further...

I see something "darker" off to my right and head that way, it's a carport looking thing, tin roof with four poles. Now sure that I'm going to be sleeping "outside" tonight I planned to just lay down here. Something white catches my eye off a little further so I ease up on it and holler out to see if anyone is there........looks like a very small pick up camper without the pickup........try the door...it's open! Shinning my light inside and it's abandon so I crawl in my knees just about give out.

Something hangs down over my visor..............a snake skin......double crap again. At that point doesn't matter I'm staying. I look around for more snakes but find none. Do find some pool toys...........oh a rubber ducky......it's still inflated and will serve as my pillow.....next a deflated air mattress..........great I got a cover now. This little camper has two wooden bench type beds and I'm going to use one. I'm totally soaked, not from the creek but from sweating...I start to get pretty cold and the air mattress does make a difference. (note to self, pack the survival blanket)

It's 10pm now and I just collapse thankful I'm not out under the stars it's cool enough right here.

I'm trying to sleep/doze when I think I hear a car going down a gravel road real slow. I get up and look out the camper window and see tail lights going by. I go outside and flash my little pen light..........he keeps on going........back into the camper and lay back down. I look and it's now 12:30am in the morning.

About 30 minutes later I think I hear another car and try to get closer to the road but can't due to deep water.....sure enough a pickup slowly goes buy and on up the hill while I'm flashing my little light at him.............BRAKE LIGHTS!!.........he turns around and sees me in his head lights, crosses the water OK and comes to me. Two men, rolls down the window and says hello, we've been looking for you since 10pm and we're glad to find you, are you OK? I was but couldn't walk very well.

So I get my stuff out of camper hilton and they meet up with two other guys from the Johnson County EMS and Clarksville Police dept.. The guy that found me was the superintendent of roads and takes part in rescue efforts too.

I guess you could say I was now a happy camper! These men were so nice too. Come to find out my Son had called them with my SPOT GPS coordinates which they promptly found..... but not me.....it had fallen off five miles a way and so they expanded their search 10 miles and were working a grid based up the location of my SPOT.

They packed me up and took me into Clarksville where I got a room for what was rest of this long night and I called the wife. Dispatch had immediately contacted my Son and he his mom as soon as they found me.

Long story, but definitely an adventure. They actually complemented me on having the proper equipment and being prepared. Said the area I had hiked into and out of was a know problem area and they had rescued five hikers not long ago from there, two with sprained ankles and one with a broken leg. I was glad I had my boots and gear on believe me.

Here are a few more pictures now...but first I'm posting this before I loose it again........

Borrowed a friends truck and ATV and my Son and I headed back to get the bike two days later. Complete with braces on my knees, hopefully I can be some help if need be. We find the bike undisturbed and I had brought some more tools, we remove the tank and change the plug, looked moist but no water in the cylinder......started checking the electrical and it all pointed to the kill switch. So we cut the wires and wound them together and the bike started right up! We put it all back together and I rode it back to the camper hilton where we left the truck and trailer and we loaded up.

Here is the old camper I found, the EMS guys said this was an old deer camp.

The plush inside...

Here is a tree that I just jumped over but the ATV we were riding to get the bike out would be high centered.

Well that's it for my adventure. Will have to give the knees a little time to heal but I don't think I tore anything just very sore.

Later.

PS: DTZDR......thanks for trying to heard cats I'm sure they all mean well but it's a ride report thread dudes. Friendly reminder of course.

10Cup screwed with this post 04-20-2010 at 12:34 PM
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #250
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Nice report, Ozarkrider.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #251
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Looks like you showed them GayHawks a real good time.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #252
ozarkrider

Good job

Good Stuff 10Cup. I'm ready for the next installment.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #253
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Holy Smokes, Mike! Glad you are ok and that you were prepared with the right gear.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #254
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Great Report

Hey Ozarkrider, great report. I and DRZ Charlie went right through Twin Lakes not long ago. Loved the old buildings too. Always interesting.
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #255
ozarkrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
Hey Ozarkrider, great report. I and DRZ Charlie went right through Twin Lakes not long ago. Loved the old buildings too. Always interesting.

Gimme a holler next time ya come this way. We'll go out and play on the secret roads.