Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 238
Soooo, do we add our RR on this thread or are "they" going to create a sub-sub-forum where we can post a new thread?????
Mike
Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,516
Sure Postem UP

Just go ahead and put the Arkansas rides here. If you want a new thread for your own ride then you can do that to if you want. Thought it would be good to have one thread for all the local rides. Easy to find and of interest to those in this region.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
I normally post a few ride reports from time to time, and I usually send links to friends and family. However if all the ride reports are in one thread, it will be hard to sort through, where one ride report ends, and another starts. In a year or two from now, trying to find a certain ride report using the search engine, will mean sorting through lots of pages. I like the idea of having them located in one spot. Just not sure how to find them at a later date???

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #19
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,624
Just open the link by the post number. It is the number in the right hand upper corner of your report. It is a direct link to the report. Write the report and save it like normal. Reopen it, click on that number and it will open again, this time book mark it and you have a direct link to the report without any other comments. Done.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 05:21 PM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #20
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Cool, Thanks!!!!

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #21
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Charlie

You're getting dangerously good at this board stuff......
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #22
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Well today me and Doc, JaiDee, Terrascout set out to ride to Natural Damn via the infamous Pannell road. That road was worth the trip.

Here are the only photos I took with my cell phone. I had to take these, good camera or not. These were on Lee Creek road after leaving Natural Dam to head over the Bobby Hopper Tunnell, which was a let down, you can't see much. Doc didn't make it this far, he broke a chain early in the ride, made a roadside repair and headed back to Fayetteville.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

This crossing is wide and the rocks are big, plentiful, and slick as snot. I wasn't brave enough to try to charge across without putting my feet down. We all went home with wet feet, some wetter than others. Terrascout crossed at the actual road where it was deeper and damn near made it but it died just short of the bank in thigh high water. Was a hoot.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #23
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey I've seen that guy empty his boots before

JD!!! AGAIN??????? You guys are too brave for your own good! I have a ride report coming up and we had some mechanical difficulties too. Glad everyone is safe and hopefully now dry
Old 03-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #24
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

RUSH IN THE DUST

Mike (10Cup) and I had planned this trip for a couple of months. Yesterday we took off to see the Ghost Town of Rush, Arkansas.

My bike loaded for the ride

We met at highways 12 and 23 at Chana's Corner for some coffee and a warm up before leaving for Rush

From Chanas Corner we headed toward the general direction of Harrison via gravel. This was our first turn around dead end.

After wandering a bit we ended up just east of Harrison where we decided to fill up our bellies with some BBQ. I don't remember the name of the place but I think Mike took a picture.

We were hungry can you tell?

After lunch we rode through some great places. Including our first big water crossing.

It was slick but both of us made it ok.

After about an hour and a half we arrived at Rush. What a cool old place. It's truly great that they are preserving it.

The following are random shots from the former town.

Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't include some video of 10Cup coming down the stairs of the history walk. At least he didn't kill his engine...

We left Rush and headed toward Yellville, Ar. for the night. We ate here. Great food! and way cheap.

Once we were finished with our Breakfast we went out to the bikes. After I suited up I noticed that my dashboard was turning off when I hit the start button. I was thinking the battery was low, I was right. But, it did start. We then proceeded toward the Buffalo River and had another turn around. While I was turning around my bike quit and would not restart. Mike had a tow strap so we pull started the Dizzer. I was getting all kinds of crazy stuff going on. The instruments came and went, the headlight was like a firefly and I had no turn signals. We both started thinking "stator". Mike graciously followed me back on Tarmac and we tore the dizzer down and pulled the stator. I got on TT and got the diagnostic information I need and verified I have a fried stator....Argh.

But, all in all the ride was great. Take some time and go to Rush, but do it slow.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 03-05-2010 at 08:52 PM
Old 03-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #25
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Good job guys

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
Just talking about that

We were just talking about that Thursday, that someone in the group needed to have a tow strap or cord of some time just in case.
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #27
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrascout
We were just talking about that Thursday, that someone in the group needed to have a tow strap or cord of some time just in case.
was that AFTER I broke a chain? t'is a good idea tho
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #28
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Rush ride Vol. 2

Rush Arkansas Ride Report 3/04/05/2010 DRZ Charlie and 10Cup
Started out very cool and we stopped at the corner of Hwy 12/23 for a cup of Joe before heading on East toward Rush, Ar. which was our goal for today.

Once warned back up and revitalized we headed out once again, glad that we had electric jackets to keep the chill down.
It wasn’t long before we were in the swing of it and soon forgot about the cool morning air. Our first of two water crossings of the day and glad to say we made them fine (unlike some we know….)

Mid morning we stopped for some fuel and a bathroom break, I had a couple of voice messages I had to return and then we were back in the saddle again.

We hit Harrison sometime around noon and the locals we quizzed said to try Roosters BBQ for lunch.. UMMMMM GOOD….mental note…..always listen to the locals.

With our bladders drained stomachs full, we again headed east via dirt as fast as we could get off the slab. Then along comes the second water crossing. This one reminded me of the infamous TN TAT water crossing with a thick coating of moss to invite in……….

Dizzer says “I can do it” and off he goes…so like a good partner I choose to video the potential carnage… he slides a bit but…...HE MAKES IT!.

Now all I have to do is get across……….I’m thinking this could be nasty and I’ll probably get videoed on my can before I make it….
Thankfully I did make it but felt the bike moving around a lot even though I went slowly…….glad to have that crossing behind we pressed on.
Much later in the day, I think somewhere around 3:30 we hit rush and spot the old buildings.

HEY WATCHIT!!! Don’t scare me like that……….

Amazing when you consider that these buildings have been standing now for over a 100 years with rock foundations…….

There is a trail that winds around up the hill a bit and we decided to ride it cuz we’re too lazy to walk. This will prove to be a little challenging later……

Part of the steps down from the “history path”

These are the stairs down from this path we rode around, turn up the sound and listen to Charlie have words with his Dizzer….TURN UP THE SOUND...

Here he is looking back up at where he just came from thankful I’m sure to still be in one piece and no broken parts on his body or bike. Yeah I’m still laughing at him….

After getting through all the Rush sights we decided to try our 606’s out on the infamous “Push Mnt Rd” better known as Ar 341. Was fun but not as fun as it would be on bigger bikes.
We pull into Yellville, Ar which was our destination for the evening, get some grub at the local buffet then get checked in.
The ribs were great….

My Helmet and luggage....

The "view" from the bathroom window........I did not know what was out there yet but we would find out about 6am in the morning.... they had Roosters .......Man I had a flashback from the farm and also of Ring'n some necks....

Hey Charlie............you sure this is HD?.....

Track file from the day with our loop around the "Push Mntn road"

Tired and now with full bellies again we were going to crash pretty early tonight.

Next morning at 0Rooster thirty......we're up and get around to find we had some frost...

We get packed, fire up the bikes and head back to the "Front Porch Buffet"

We sit down and I look out the window an see this guy...

Best $4.99 buffet I've had for a while though.

We're soon on our way and slab it back South to intercept our 154 mile route back toward Springdale. Roads looked good too.

Until they didn't............yeah that's the road way over there and it hasn't been traveled in a long while.

I turn around and climb back up out of the river bed when I notice Charlie dismount. I go back and he says she's dead, won't start. So out comes the tow strap and we drag the DRZ up on the road and get it running. Charlie says let's head for home and off we go.

We make it back OK, get the Dizzer where we can start looking at it and I notice one of Charlie's Neighbors checking us out.

I get back and parts are flying off the Dizzer

Can you say well done..........

I jump back on the R² and head for Rogers as Charlie heads for the internet to find parts.
Fun trip, we definitely had an adventure and everyone made it home safe and (dry... )
Later Gents

10Cup screwed with this post 03-15-2010 at 08:25 AM
Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #29
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Nice report, Thanks for all the good pics of Rush.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 03-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #30
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

It's worth the trip. If you go and want more dirt consult with 10cup he can tell you were the map lied to us. More pavement than I intended but still a good trip.