Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #4921
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I left the house at 8:00 am with the temp at 37 degrees to make the 70 mile ride to Marshall to rendezvous with Oleary and Scotty49 in Marshall. We arrived within about 10 minutes of each other.
I did not get too many pictures at first because I was just trying to keep up plus I was a bit distracted by my GPS that kept trying to reroute me.
This is one of the first of many creek crossings on the early part of the ride.

This is the first Roasting Ear Creek crossing. You go first Tim.

Okay.

Here is the second crossing. No concrete here, just deep gravel.

We turned right immediately after climbing the creek embankment and found this. Tim went for a hike here to see why this is private property. That is him way down the road in the middle of the picture.

Scotty figured out we should have turned left, which took us up a mountain on this road.

Break time. I cannot tell if Scotty is eyeing my Coke or looking at his phone.

Doing our best imitation of the sport bike fellers that rip up and down Push Mountain Rd (Hwy 341).

Now we are on the road that goes from Hwy 341 to Hwy 5. This was my distant view of Tim and Scotty most of the time we were on the dirt roads because of the dust.

Every now and then I would catch up when the dust subsided.

This was a huge facility for manufacturing what looked like decorative stone between Fifty Six and Hwy 66.

Its 4:00 pm, weve ridden nearly 120 miles and we are just beginning the southern part of the route? Lets slab it back to Marshall.

Oh boy, more curves.

How was the ride Scotty?

And one without my mirror in the picture.

I finally got a chance to run down and pass Tim. Of course, the extra 400 ccs and the fact that it was uphill helped.

Loading up in Marshall. Was your back window already cracked, Tim? Just kidding.

It turned out to be a great day for a ride. I got home 11 hours after I left with 292 miles added to the odometer.
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #4922
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,898
That looks lijke some really nice country to ride in.

Great pictures & report. Thanks for going to the trouble.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #4923
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,518
Olearys back in the saddle! Man thats cool. Hey Oleary has the wife took the riding ok after your crash?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #4924
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
Great Pictures BoHawk. Oleary nice new helmet ya got there! Looks like your back to your normal riding style pretty quickly. Good stuff. Thanks for the report guys.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #4925
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Nice report guys. Tim It's good to see you back up and at em! I hope to see you guys at Blanchard Springs. I may have to work though.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #4926
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Copperjohn how have you been!? You must have hibernated for the winter.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #4927
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post

Once over Push Mountain we headed back south and a few more miles on Push Mountain Road. I googled this road cause I had heard of it somewhere. It is paved and it is called the Dragon of the Ozarks. So there are about 10 miles or so in a couple of different sections of the route. Headed south to Blanchard Springs and found the road that runs into it from the north had been closed for years. Had a big gate up so we continued on southeast for a ways and crossed the White River got on Hwy 14 and stopped in a convenience store in Fifty Six for a bite and some fuel. This is only a few miles from Blanchard Springs so that is handy for food and fuel.
Where did you guys cross the White River or was that Sylamore Creek? That is some awesome areas to ride for sure. Last year I almost ran over this big ol rattle snake on Barkshed road which is off of Push mtn.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #4928
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Copperjohn how have you been!? You must have hibernated for the winter.
Hey Ted I'm good man. Hope the same for you. I got out some this winter but mostly hunting and fishing. I'm ready to get the ride on though. Hopefully I can make it to Blanchard but this is our busy season at work so I may have come up late Saturday if we work that day. As of now we are scheduled to be off that Saturday but rain-outs can change that.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #4929
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperjohn1962 View Post
Where did you guys cross the White River or was that Sylamore Creek? That is some awesome areas to ride for sure. Last year I almost ran over this big ol rattle snake on Barkshed road which is off of Push mtn.
It was Sylamore Creek where Hwy 14 and 5 intersect.
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #4930
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Olearys back in the saddle! Man thats cool. Hey Oleary has the wife took the riding ok after your crash?
Yeh, no problem. She just said that I need to make sure I keep up with the life insurance payments! My daughter is busting me more than anyone. She said that I need to wear my Spot on my body so that I can hit the 911 button if I get separated from my bike like I did on the last incident. I assured her I would when riding alone. So all is good.

Quote:
Nice report guys. Tim It's good to see you back up and at em! I hope to see you guys at Blanchard Springs. I may have to work though.
Yeh, this is a great area to ride. Lots of creeks and such. Really beautiful. Hope you can make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Great Pictures BoHawk. Oleary nice new helmet ya got there! Looks like your back to your normal riding style pretty quickly. Good stuff. Thanks for the report guys.
I really like the helmut. It is pretty comfortable and a little lighter I think than the last one. Felt pretty good riding. No problem!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.

OLEARY screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 11:55 AM
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #4931
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Which helmet are you wearing now?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #4932
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohawk View Post

Great photos Bo! I see you did get some of Push Mnt. Road. Good going. It was great riding with you again. I hope to come down and ride some of your stompin grounds once you get back from your travels.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #4933
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Which helmet are you wearing now?
It's that AFX FX-39.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #4934
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
You got pretty close to that fella. Too close for comfort for my taste. I will have to remember to zip my tent up tight when camping if there are some of those around. In my ride report what I meant to say is that we rode along the White River and crossed the South Sylamore Creek at the junction of Hwy 5 & 14.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #4935
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Excellent pics and ride report, bohawk and all!! Even more of the Ozarks I have yet to experience!!! Thanks!!

@ O'Leary:

Crash? What crash? I've been out of touch with this website for quite a while. What happened? How extensive were your injuries? Glad you're up and going again.

Vinduroman