Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #6391
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,634
Looks like a great ride and perfect weather.

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #6392
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
Yup! Mom was a hottie! It is a shame cause further up the road we passed the turn to Erbie Campground. She missed the right she should have taken at the low water bridge that crosses Cove Creek.

That was some kinda fun. Thanks Charlie for putting together a great route. That Cr-57 was great. Not to mention the horseback riders. You can't imagine how bummed out I was when I got home and plugged my video cam into my computer and found I had not videoed a thing all day. I should have had some great video of the horseback riders cluster there when we passed. The only thing that I can think of was the storage card was not making contact. I think I know how to ensure everything is hunky dory in the future.

That was a great lunch at the Low Gap Cafe or whatever it was called. First time I have had the pleasure of eating there. Awesome soup and cheesey rolls. It was also a first that I have ridden with Ted and Shelly and met Lary for the first time. Shelly definitely added some class to that crew.

I wish I had more pictures to share. The stills I shot aren't worth posting. I am glad Magoo and Charlie took some photos. Great route, great group and great weather all add up to a Great Time! I had a ball.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #6393
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Good report and photos Mr. Magoo. Vicarious pleasure.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #6394
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
I have ridden quite a bit at White Rock/Mill Creek, and done a couple of DS rides in the Ozarks NW section, I regularly ride a race bike at Brock Creek singletrack area. In 05 I did the Fall Colors Tour and loved it, but I actually live about 30 miles NW of Little Rock in the Ouachitas. I have ridden much of the Eastern section of the Ouachitas by myself, but now want to explore all of the Ouachitas from Perry Co. to Oklahoma and try to do it on the smallest tracks/trails possible. Not talking about Enduro course stuff necessarily, but not just dirt roads and pavement either. I rarely see any ride reports from this region. Why not? I see DS and Adventure bikes on the pavement all the time, but very rarely see anyone out in the boonies. There are great overlooks, rivers, creeks, mines, abandoned stuff of all kinds from log camps to small towns, just as in the Ozarks.

Does living near Little Rock suck all the adventure out of riders souls? Is the drinking water from lake Maumelle laced with saltpeter? Do you so called "adventure riders" from Central Ar. get scared when your wittle knobbies weave the pwavement? Do you need a chase truck with a 5 course meal and mechanic to follow you on your excursions to the nice hotel? Can't do a tough ride without a mud bath and a massage after? (If anyone reads this and takes me up on a ride, I better sleep with my eyes open)!

Seriously, where are all these riders on KLRs, DRZs, XRLs, and little BMWs going? I see them pass my house all the time on the highway, see them fill up at Williams Junction and Perryville, but never see them off road. I ride all over the fantastic area from Perry Co. East and SE towards and past Hollis, Flatside Mtn, Forked Mtn, Browns Creek, Chinqipin Mtn, etc. and almost never see anyone on off road bikes. Do all the riders around here buy off road capable bikes then never take them off road? Many times when riding in the Ozarks, especially the NW region, I see other DS and sometimes even big Adventure bikes off road, but almost never in the Ouachitas.

Am I gonna have to keep making fun of you Central Ar. Arkies, (and sleep with both eyes open), or what?

I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now because I'm gonna have to ride half way to Oklahoma on dirt roads, eat MREs, see whatever I see, maybe get shot by a beer hunter, ride a hundred wheelies, tomorrow morning all by myself, and I'm gonna be soooo lonely. BooHoo.
Really? I live in Benton and ride those areas you mentioned (off of the tarmac) on a regular basis. I hate having to ride the tarmac to get to those areas. I don't recall ever seeing you there though. I guess maybe you were too busy at home crying? Anyway, if you act nice we may invite you to tag along with us sometime. But keep in mind we don't allow cry babies in our group!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #6395
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've been doing my part in reducing the population of the forest rats! Looks like you have been on some pretty good rides. Craig you've gotta show me that hill climb where you lost your bag. Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #6396
GMJinARK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hey guys, new to the site and fairly new to the dirt riding gig. I rode over to Potosi, MO last month and did some good riding. Wanting to do more exploring around NWA and SWM.

Hoping to meet some new friends out on the trails.
GMJinARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #6397
arkansas adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Welcome.

There are lots of group rides that go on as well as camping in AR. Just watch the website here for the information. There is not much going on that I know of until next riding season.

There are 3 rallies/group rides going on in the spring that already have dates set. Some dates are tentative but it will give you an idea. SLAP on May 17-19, arkansas 500 in April, and the Christian Motorcyclist Association fast lane rally will be April 18-21. Most have threads started.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....61&postcount=1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740055

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823337
I think there is another thread for the SLAP and the Hillbilly rally roaming around here somewhere as well as day rides posted occasionally.
arkansas adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #6398
GMJinARK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thanks Fastlane,

Just checked out some of the links. The AR500 and SLAP look pretty cool! I may try to do a few of the (organized) rides next year. And of course, I'm always up for impromptu rides on the weekends.

Every other weekend, I have 4 days off work so I get to goof off a little more than most.

I'm always up for a good adventure! - on or off pavement.
GMJinARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #6399
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,941
someone inform GMJinARK abt the AR-BS thread..y'all know me and my lack of being tactful..

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #6400
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,670
Ride reports only, please

What Doc is so tactfully saying is that this thread is just for posting ride reports. Setting up impromptu rides (and regular BS) is best found on the NWA BS thread: HERE
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #6401
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
What Doc is so tactfully saying is that this thread is just for posting ride reports. Setting up impromptu rides (and regular BS) is best found on the NWA BS thread: HERE
I have to disagree most emfatically. If you want to ride you go where the riding is. If you want to BS you go where all the BS is. So keep your BS off this thread. That is unless you have something to say about riding. Thankyou!!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #6402
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,357
Quick Run with WX problems

Decided to do a quick run to Northern Ark the first part of Oct. Hoping to see some leaves changing even though early for it. But , had things happening at the end of Oct and first part of Nov. Figured I'd make it up there and let the front past though and get some good riding in the next days and head to North Carolina.
Map below of Area Covered.

With the Red being first day.
No pictures as I didn't find anything I really wanted to take a pic of the 1st day, could not the next 3 days due to rain on and off and too dang cold. ha ha ha ha
Spent the worst lightning storm I've ever been in under the awning of a Baptist Church about 10 miles South of Mountain View. When it calmed down a bit, I ran into town and got the first motel I saw.
Next day was in the low 40's with misty rain to light rain on and off all day. But did get in some fine riding and even a few roads I'd not been on before.
Ran up into Missouri and it was getting colder and started having problems with my old Widder vest and gloves connections shorting out and blowing the fuse , therefore, making me even colder. .
Was eating at a Cafe' in Mo and talking to a few locals there about where the wx was going. Very slowly East. Hmmmmm . not gonna be fun crossing Tennessee for me.
So decided about that time to call it a short trip and aim back to South Louisiana. I didn't even see sunshine till near Alexandria , LA. But, Bandit and I made the best of it. And It was my 3 trip through Arkansas this Summer.
Roads covered the 1st day were
Jennings to LA 26 to LA 104 to LA 13 to US 167 to I 49 to US 165 to MaGeehee, Ar for the night.
Second day was US 65 , US 165, Ar 11, Ar 16, AR 25, Ar 5 to Mountain View.
Third day was Ar 66, Ar 263, Ar 14, AR 341, Old Tracy Road, Ar 5, US 62, Mo 87, Mo 101, US 160, US 63, US 62, US 167 to Sheridan, Ar. Finally got heated gear fixed there.
Last day was a quick US 167 to I 49 to US 165 to LA 26 to LA 102 to Home.

Probably be my last run into Arkansas till next May for the Wilderness Rally near Harriet on the Buffalo with the KLR in tow.
Even though the weather really sucked for me, I still had fun on the roads of North Central Arkansas. They NEVER let me down.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #6403
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,941
those are the trips you hate to take the most, but they are the ones you remember and admire the most
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #6404
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
I have to disagree most emfatically. If you want to ride you go where the riding is. If you want to BS you go where all the BS is. So keep your BS off this thread. That is unless you have something to say about riding. Thankyou!!
That makes more sense to me. Don't understand at all why setting up a ride would not be appropo here. ??? The bs threads are just that, bs. And have high value in that regard.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #6405
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Riding season

I see here someone again implying that this is NOT the "riding season". For me nothing could be more wrong. In my 40+ years, Oct thru June is the highlight riding time in our climate. I am speaking of DS and offroad.