Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #6706
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
Charlie, the picture were cool of the Talihina area. Have been on a ton of great trails down there and don't think I've scratched the surface. I plan to make several over nights down there this year.
Call me when you do if you want some company.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #6707
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Got out for a ride today Yahoo! Left out about 10:30 this morning temp was a cool 41 but workable so I headed South on a little different route through Farmington, then over to behind Drake Field and on down to Bidville Road and on over to White Rock, Combs then back up through Elkins and on home.

Was a fun day a little on the muddy side but not a big deal. Ran into quite a bit of this but most had a pretty firm bottom and didn't cause much of a problem. This was on CR110 heading South to Bidville Road.

Lot of good roads too.

By the way for anyone planning a ride over to Grandma's House Cafe, Winfrey Valley cutoff is closed for work from 8am to 5pm. Yes I checked and they have it cut out putting culverts in.

Headed South on ..

Then on up to Hwy 71 and headed back North for lunch. Fried Chicken at Grandmas today! Awesome.

After lunch I back tracked to Shepard Springs again then on across Bidville to White Rock, which was pretty tore up still from erosion due to the heavy rains.
Some trees down but all had been cleared enough to pass.

The streams were running pretty good and had several small creek crossings but nothing much on the low water bridges where I was today.

This crossing over on Mill Creek gave me pause but made it through ok

My scoot was seriously clean this morning.....not so much now.

Got home about 4:30 with 180 miles on the day. Around 4pm my dash started flashing a snowflake and the "temp" warning was flashing. Looked down and the temp had dropped to 32! No wonder my face shield was fogging. Temps dropped like a hammer real quick. Warm shower sure felt good.

Later Gents.

10Cup screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 06:18 PM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #6708
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post

Really crisp photos 10Cup. I like! It got cold in a hurry this afternoon. It is good to see some water runnin in the creeks and streams. Looking good!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #6709
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
Really crisp photos 10Cup. I like! It got cold in a hurry this afternoon. It is good to see some water runnin in the creeks and streams. Looking good!
Thanks Tim
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #6710
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

2013 AR ADV Camping Schedule

I have a schedule of camping events for the coming riding season. I put a few new sites in this year and kept a few of our old favorites. I hope you all will take advantage of the chance to meet some new faces and ride. As in the past, I will be posting routes a week to 10 days prior to each event. You can find them here on this thread and I will also post in the schedule. Here is a link to the 2013 Schedule.
Take care and enjoy the ride.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #6711
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,929
As Tim said on the BS thread we went for a nice leisurely ride today. We headed west into Oklahoma and Lake Frances. The weather was near perfect but it did start getting colder around 16:00 hours.

This was our track for the day but it got heavily modified at the end as we were loosing daylight and boogied back via the highway.

I am still dialing in my helmet cam but it is much better (I think). Anyway here are some pictures taken today on the road.

We got near Lake Frances and Tim said he knew a different way in. I hadn't been there before but it took us to the old spillway and we got off the bikes for a while and wandered around and took in the sights.

This picture was taken on the spillway weir. The date is 1971

The original Lake Francis was created around 1920 when a weir was constructed. Sometime after 1920, an additional 8 foot high weir was added to the 1920 weir to raise the level of Lake Francis.

Prior to the 1990 floods Lake Frances suffered from decreased flood storage due to sediment accumulation. In May, 1990, a large flood event destroyed the 8 foot Ogee weir, which was not rebuilt returning Lake Frances to little more than a shallow swamp.

In 1999, the nearby city of Siloam Springs, Arkansas constructed a water intake structure in the Illinois River in Lake Frances for water supply. This was constructed just above the now existing weir. The effects of this withdrawal can cause sudden drops in what is left of the lake.

(Harmel, R. D., 1997. Analysis of Bank erosion on the Illinois River in Northeast Oklahoma. PhD dissertation, Oklahoma State University)

On the way back we got lost...err we re-routed several times. Here Tim is deliberating which was a more direct route. Notice the puke green jacket. You can can't not see him.

The shadows were getting long so we decided that we needed to start toward home.

One of our tracks abruptly ended when we ran into a bridge out.

Tim was clowning around and almost fell in for real. I laughed a little (ok, I laughed alot).

Notice the new (upper bridge) was built over an older lower bridge. Now there is no bridge.

We passed by Wrights Chapel on our route before choosing to re-route for home before the deer started running. Wrights Chapel served as a school as well as a Church and was founded in 1939.

It was a great day to be out. It was fun riding with Tim, if fact it's hard not to have fun riding with Tim. Hope some of you got out today too!

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 07:16 PM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #6712
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,929
Hey 10 Cup, I commented on your January 31st ride but I guess it didn't take? Anyway, thanks for sharing. Man you are getting your new bike broke in on dirt aren't you. Thanks for sharing your ride with us.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #6713
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,777
I'll add a few shots to Charlie's report below, but the others are in a slideshow HERE.

It was a great day to be out, some dust, not bad. Chuck and I had no real agenda, other than to try Lookout Tower Rd, eat at Cathy's Corner in Siloam, see Lake Frances and take it easy. We got all that accomplished! Chuck and I took turns going in circles and mistaking north and south. But hey, we made it home.

We both really liked Lookout Tower Rd. Not too heavily traveled, and decent surface.

There was a stone-framed house around the corner from this (but with no roof or walls). Probably the same era and mason, Chuck thought. Typical country use of the materials on hand.

Wright's Chapel is picturesque. Sky was gorgeous today.

Is it possible to see too many pictures of the falls? We came to the "other" side (east) from where the road easily comes down. I came here on a ride lead by Elvis (my first with ADV) years ago. It is a private drive, with an honor system pay-box ($1/car).

This is still in Oklahoma, the road goes under the bluff a bit. Kinda reminded me of a miny-version of Hwy 59 up by the Elk River in Noel, MO.
SmugMug Rocks!

Valentino Magoo screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 07:58 PM
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #6714
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Hey 10 Cup, I commented on your January 31st ride but I guess it didn't take? Anyway, thanks for sharing. Man you are getting your new bike broke in on dirt aren't you. Thanks for sharing your ride with us.
Thanks Charlie, I still can't get used to your new Avitar Great report and the pictures are superb too! Glad Tim didn't get his nice new Yeller coat wet by falling in the water

Glad you guys had fun thanks for sharing.

Tim, just saw your pictures too. Good on ya my man! Like Charlie says always fun to have you around. Ride safe.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #6715
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
The day started great. Here's our own beloved OLEARY ready to get at it on the trail to our dreams...

But then our way got rocky....

So we made a change of venue... and all was right with the world...

We now await for Tim to step in and finish the saga...

V-man
Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #6716
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
The day started great. Here's our own beloved OLEARY ready to get at it on the trail to our dreams...

But then our way got rocky....

So we made a change of venue... and all was right with the world...

We now await for Tim to step in and finish the saga...

V-man
Awesome V-Man! Those rocks looked like bad ju ju for sure. Glad you got Oleary out of town for a ride. Did you guys head down to Talemina? I hear a bunch from Oklahoma were heading that way this weekend.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #6717
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Hi 10Cup:

Yup, we went to Talimena State Park to the Great Pumpkin gathering. Some really neat guys were there. All were very friendly. We both wanted to scope out that area and thought the best way to do it was follow riders that knew the area.

Here's a partial quote of my "Thanks" post in the OK BS Thread:

Quote:
After a few miles we both decided this was more than we wanted to do today. We were in the mood to hit some laid back stuff and enjoy the scenery. Soooo... we bailed, loaded up, and I took me ol' bud from AR over to a range of mountains I know very well and we finished our day there. We were back at our the trucks and loaded up about 5 PM or so. Great day to be out in the mountains regardless of the color of your bike or the choice of terrain!!
Yup, some serious riding crazies were there on some mighty serious offroad bikes. (Besides gaggles of KTM's, there were Beta's, Gas Gas, etc.) Basically, we felt like we'd shown up with a knife at a gun fight.

Besides, neither of us wanted to tackle technical terrain all day long. Soooo... well... as you can see above: We modified and overcame!

V-man
Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #6718
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
Hi 10Cup:

Yup, we went to Talimena State Park to the Great Pumpkin gathering. Some really neat guys were there. All were very friendly. We both wanted to scope out that area and thought the best way to do it was follow riders that knew the area.

Here's a partial quote of my "Thanks" post in the OK BS Thread:

Yup, some serious riding crazies were there on some mighty serious offroad bikes. (Besides gaggles of KTM's, there were Beta's, Gas Gas, etc.) Basically, we felt like we'd shown up with a knife at a gun fight.

Besides, neither of us wanted to tackle technical terrain all day long. Soooo... well... as you can see above: We modified and overcame!

V-man
Yeah, that would have been my plan too. Getting too old for the single track and rocks I guess. Glad you guys had fun.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #6719
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Just noted Magoo posted some pics of "The Chuck n' Tim Endless Circle Show". Nice pics! (Enjoyed Charlie's pics, too.) Why does "Lookout Mt Rd" sound familiar? Where is that?

While I'm at it... also enjoyed the pics n' stuff of 10Cup's ride the other day... just forgot to say so at the time.

V-man
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #6720
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,777
Lookout Tower Rd (not Mt, my bad) runs from Hwy 16 near Lake Wedington to the northwest, hitting Hwy 412 east of Siloam Springs.
SmugMug Rocks!
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote