User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #811
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Water crossings

Bill, where were those crossing at? I don't recognize them?
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #812
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Illinios Bayou, about 7 miles north of Hector

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #813
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I've got that very camera

10Cup I bought that very camera and have been using it for all my bike pictures lately. I dropped the bike in a creek in TN and had to go back and find it after it bounced off of the rocky bottom and was lying in about a foot of water. Picked it up, turned it on and it worked just fine. The small aperature means that you have to practice with the flash setting in low light conditions. I'm still trying to figure out night time and moving pics but for a point and shoot guy like me, its the perfect camera. It has more bells and whistle than I know what to do with but with 12mpeg you capture enough detail even if you are far away to blow the shot up and crop. Check out my ride reports below for examples of photos from this camera. I use a 8gb sd card and it also takes decent videos too.
GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
I think I have found "the" camera for ride reports, Pentax Optio W90..........dustproof........now that's what I'm talking about. So far I have ruined two nice Sony cameras due to dust. I can leave this little guy hanging around my neck and get many more great pictures. Anyone own one?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...90-review.html

Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #814
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Camera

Hey GC, great to hear! I was hoping it would put out good pictures and from looking at your ride report (great job by the way) they look super.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #815
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
My wife and I just returned from 9 days driving around Arkansas. Almost everyday, she would take the 4runner around the area doing flea markets and town shopping, and I would head for the hills on the WR250R. Since I carried it on a hitch hauler behind the truck, it was easy to handle.

We started the first weekend in MountainView, then over to Oark, Clarksville, Russellville, PetitJean, HotSprings/LakeDegray, then another weekend back in MountainView.

We had the best time, and I got re-acquainted with Arkansas very well over and above the SLAP rally. Some of the quick memories are:
Sand Gap store: freshly cooked jumbo cin rolls and sticky buns.
Pedestal Rock trail: nice 2mi hike, wifey enjoyed it.
Oark store: wifey got to experience it, they even brought us a pie bowl to finish licking! LOL 10.0
Mack's Fish House-Hebron Springs 10.0
Rainbow Cafe-MtnView: chick fried steak 10.0
The Ark restaurant thread was spot on ! Thx to all !
MtnView-jamming on square, got hooked up in killer bluegrass jams with my mando both wkds 10.0

One ride somewhere above Dover, there are some dinasour creations welded from scrap metal, these two deer didn't seem to mind this one..even after I u-tuned the bike for a pic..

This creek was somewhere NE of Hillcrest I think, I had a bunch of routes/tracks leftover from the SLAP roundup, and I just followed this one randomly until I ended up here. I should have turned back earlier as the woods trail got very steep and rocky/washed out. But you know the drill, gotta keep going.
I crossed the creek upstream on a very slippery rock bottom, then couldn't find an easier way out, and had to backtrack

This was in Hebron Springs... very impressive and beautiful.

All told, I was very impressed with the $$ Ark has spent on their state parks. Also the Fed Ozark areas, everything was very pristine as it should be. I'll certainly be going back during cooler weather.
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #816
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,140
that looks like Bull Shoals lake-n-dam...

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #817
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like you had a ball

Good for you anytime you can get in some great riding and keep the misses happy too......well that has to be all good. Thanks for the pic's too. I have one of the receiver hitch rails for my R and it is very handy, so far haven't used (other than to load up and test it out) it but nice to know I can if I need to.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #818
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
Good for you anytime you can get in some great riding and keep the misses happy too......well that has to be all good. Thanks for the pic's too. I have one of the receiver hitch rails for my R and it is very handy, so far haven't used (other than to load up and test it out) it but nice to know I can if I need to.
Thought about a hitch rail but dont know if my lil truck will like it.
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #819
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,603
That's the Greers Ferry Dam. On the south side of the dam is a little museum and clean restrooms. A nice, clean place to get out of the heat or the cold and it's free...

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #820
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Eek Ride at Brock Creek area this Friday

To anyone interested, JimDale and I will be meeting at the Blue Diamond cafe in Morrilton (right across from McDonald's) at 7am Friday for a ride up to the Brock Creek area. No real itenirary other than to ride a few trails and forrest roads. The plan is for a leisurly pace without a lot of bonzai action but stuff just happens sometimes! Ya'll know how it works. We'll wait around a few minutes and maybe even eat breakfast before heading up.
Gary
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #821
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,822
I have to mow... But sounds like a fun day.... Wish I could...
Old 07-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #822
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

98 Degrees of Fun

Oleary and I left my place at 0800 Saturday 7/30/10 for a nice 230 mile loop that would take us to Kingston, on to Jasper and then loop back North to Huntsville then back into Rogers. Nice and cool this morning as we were dressed for max cool on this extraordinarily hot day. Camel backs locked and loaded as well as a few power bars just in case. Wasn't long and we were "in it"

As you can see very little water left running across the roads, however this little guy made it interesting for about a half mile. Cute little bugger.

We pull into Kingston a little early for lunch so we just had breakfast instead......works for me

Great food. We top off our camel backs and head out to the bikes to find some interesting rides had come in behind us.

Sir what options would you like on your new car..........well aaahhhhh steer'n wheel and a really long shifter...........you go it!

A group of Harley riders from the Show Me State had tried to horn in on the only shade in town..........

Nice iron and even nicer people, had a great visit with them and told them we'd meet up again in Jasper........they were heading that way. Didn't see them in Jasper however......hope they didn't try to follow us...

Little while later.............holy beee gee bees.....are we near......well you know who's place???

Madison county for sure......

We head on toward Erby Campground Road and the "mile of Mud" that had stopped me cold the last time we rode it (last year) Now though, just big ruts..

Little later this..........

How Highs the water Momma........10 feet high and risss....oops...scratch that ..........

We did find one crossing that was still flowing over the low water bridge however and took advantage of it right away.......

MAN! That feels so good.....lasted a good hour too!

Great roads today, not much pavement at all.

We Stop for a break, Oleary trying to find Jodee Messina songs on his Ipod.

Got company, will finish later.

Saw this on the way with a nice trail "into the wilderness.

On we go..

We stop at the highest place on our route today for a small break and soon find out that stopping is much hotter than to just keep roll'n.

Another water crossing......not much water....

Few old buildings along the way.

Every thing looking for shade today.....

Few more roads, this one was pretty fun, just a dirt path out in the pasture.

Stats and tracks

Over & out

10Cup screwed with this post 07-31-2010 at 05:31 PM
Old 07-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #823
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,140
I sure miss that route! Once I am up and running again, I'll hafta revisit it!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #824
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,280
Thumb H12 to Jasper Route

Just a few pics to add to 10cups ride report. Great photos with that new waterproof camera.

A couple of shots on the trail.

Great breakfast at the Valley Cafe in Kingston. Especially the glazed doughnuts. Not like anything I have ever seen but were quite tastey.

10cup at the water crossing where we stopped to soak our jackets. I think I got a couple of little minnows in mine.

Mike thinks he has one down the back of his britches and he hasn't even got his jacket back on yet.

A few more shots of that area.

Morrow Creek I think Mike said.

Some great vistas. This is one close to the 2300 ft elevation.

Creek just off HWY23 before the pasture trail.

I gotta say that today was a bit of a workout. More technical stuff than I have seen lately, some steep downhill two track with lots of rocks & ruts but in general the roads were just a little more demanding. It was all good though, better than a stick in the eye. Thats all I got.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #825
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nice Shot

Oleary, nice shot over the shoulder! You're getting pretty handy with that Nikon

Like Oleary says very fun, the heat was not a problem really all day but if you stopped it was like a sauna and so breaks, except for the one by the creek, ended up being short. Once under way it was cool and we had to remember to keep drinking because we were sweating like crazy but it felt cool when underway.

This ride was fun, great roads very little pavement and in all very enjoyable in spite of the 98 degree heat.

I am going to reverse this route it was so much fun and ride it counter clockwise next. Before it gets wet and is impassable.

My new Pentax camera prooved to be just great. It powers up FAST. Two seconds from the time you hit the power button to clicking the picture. Really nice. Easy to hang onto as well, has a kind of rubber like cover. I like it.

All good.