Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #841
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Even though my birthday was close to 50 years ago.... I feel like a kid at Christmas right now. Thats right a new motorcycle.... Not sure what it is about a new motorcycle, but any time I get a new bike, there is a sense of excitement that is hard to hide. When i was a young man, I worked for a dealership. Every year I bought a new bike. My girlfriend knew that was part of my life, and she actually liked riding with me... So she became my wife. Over the years, kids started showing up in our household... They became expensive... and well, I wasn't buying new bikes every year anymore.

Kids are getting older now... College scholarships help pay for their room and board, under a roof that is not mine.... and with only the boy left at home, I have a bit more freedom with the cashola.... So.. I scratched an itch that has been bugging me since last week. I don't think it was poison ivy... but when my son and I were out riding with friends in Colorado I had the opportunity to ride a KTM690 Enduro R..... It felt a lot like my old 450EXC but when you pin the throttle all hell breaks loose. Drifting around corners on gravel roads, with the steering at full lock is childs play on this thing.. Wheelies... pick a gear, any gear... Well balanced chassis, and taught suspension make the 690 one of the best off road play bikes I have ever ridden.... So I sold my overweight, Dakar... which was a hard decision. I had spent a lot of time going through it, and making it into a great adventure bike. But it was just not going to ever be a woods bike.
5 minutes after I had the check in my hand, I made the call to the KTM dealer.. My insurance agent.. and my wife to inform her that our Friday date night had been changed... Instead of going to listen to the smooth jazz band.. We would be making a quick trip to Little Rock. She has a way of showing support for me and being excited about stuff... that I doubt interest her... She just loves me I guess.

I hooked my my GPS.. and stuffed my essentials in my Camelback... and told the son to be up by 9:00 Sat am because we were going riding!!!
After stuffing tire tools, air compressor, KTM tool bag... and the hydration pack.. there was no room for a camera. I don't have a tank bag yet that will fit the KTM.... So I will have to make do with the old Iphone camera for this trip. No bitching about the quality of the pics

Our first stop was up on Petit Jean.. Today's weather was unseasonably cool and the ride was quite pleasant.

We headed west and stopped for gas in Centerville. Continued on until I saw a little road I had never been on before... Started out paved, then became gravel and took us to Spring Lake.

Oh by the way.. until the child like excitement wears off.. be prepared to see the 690 in most all of my pictures... Wonder if I can get it into our next family portrait for the Christmas cards this year???

Spring lake...

We ended up on some roads I knew from years ago, we played a little bit on the ATV trail system...

and came out on Mt Magazine by Shirleys Outback. Great place to eat, if you are ever up that way... We were headed for Oark though, for grub today... It was now well past noon, so we took 309 north to Ozark... Got sprinkled on just a bit... Then the sun came out and the temps began to rise. Sat in road construction for 15 minutes, on hwy 23... then finally made it to Oark

for todays special around 2:00 pm.

By now it was getting pretty hot outside... and I knew I had a 5 hour job waiting for me when I got back home.. So we took the most direct route home. This turned out to be a decent ride, with nice scenery and cooler temps in the higher eleations. as I look at the scenery i was reminded how pretty Arkansas is.. and that trips to Colorado may be nice once in a while.. but I am not sure I will be going every year... I want to do more exploring at home, and up in the Mark Twain Nat. Forest in Missouri.

About a 300 mile day...

The KTM did everything I wanted.. and did it with pizazz... It will roost rocks as far back as I can see in the mirrors... Eats up rough trails, and will tour down the highway... Although I will be ordering a different seat. :) My son seemed to have a great time too... and spending time with him is worth far more than what I paid for the bike....

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE

wswartzwel screwed with this post 08-07-2010 at 10:19 PM
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #842
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Awesome. But what is that orange bike?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #843
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #844
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,126
I like that bike but they just too tall for my old bones. Great RR
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #845
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 08-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #846
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Great Report

Know what you mean about getting lots of bike pictures, I still have that problem with mine. Looks like you just need lots of time to ride now!
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #847
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Warloop

Decided to take Oleary down Warloop today, of course he cleaned it no problem but was his first trip. Here are a few pictures from the day.

Hit the road at 0800, nice morning too, cool breeze...

Hit Mossy Creek's place about 9:30........hey Travis, great music by the way but you must have been out for coffee...next time.

Rode on South toward the infamous Warloop, some shots along the way..

Road turns into a wash and then the creek crossing that you know is coming. Wasn't a big deal, not much water this time of year.

Hit some high speed gravel and stirred up some dust. Then we run into nice damp ground and even some mud........got some rain up on Boston Mtn last night,.

Yup, Warloop was lay'n in wait for us.......

Little farther down Warloop and we run into the nice guy who just finished moving a tree off the road. Said no tell'n what the rest of it's like. I told him well then we might be back

But same old Warloop rocks and more rocks but no trees blocking the path.

Vid of Oleary coming down Warloop

Sippy hole at the bottom was about half full but now lots of mud, we blasted right through but made a nice mess out of our bikes and pant legs...oh well.

Gates were open at the Lake Fort Smith dam so we pulled in for a few pictures.

We head on across I540 with plans to stop in Chester for some grub.....but NO Oleary leading at the time and listening to his Country music blows the turn and we end up soon in Natural Dam. Can you say HUNGARY

Wasn't long however and all was well again............

With full belly's we had on toward Prairie Grove and then on to Rogers.

Afternoon got hot and humid but still a fun day.

Stats & Tracks.

10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #848
Respen
Permanent N00b

Oddometer: 48
This weekend was my last one off before school starts up again and I have to work the weekends. Decided to do one last ride to eat. Checked out a few places and decided on the Ozark Cafe in Jasper. Only I would take the long way.

Started out on hwy 107, then took hwy 5 to Mountain View. Had breakfast at the Iron Skillet restaurant. Good food and great wait staff. Definitely going back. Headed up to hwy 14 and then to push mountain for the first time. Had a lot of fun on hwy 14, I managed to really get off the bike in the corners. Once or twice I really wanted to look down and see how far my knee was from the ground, kinda scary since I don't wear sliders. Hwy 341 was still wet from the rain storm (14 was dry as a bone), so I didn't really push myself. Still had a lot of fun.

Afterwards, I headed up to Gainesville, Mo. via hwy 5. Took hwy 160 and then 125 to Peel's ferry. I really love the ferry, wish there were more around the state. Headed to Lead Hill and then took hwy 7 to Harrison and eventually ended up in Jasper. Started to rain about 5 miles outside of Jasper, felt really good. Arrived at the Ozark Cafe and had a chili cheese burger with onions and fries. Great food, but horrible service. I sat around for 10 minutes before finally getting up and asking for a menu. The place wasn't even busy.

After I finished eating, the rain had stopped, so I headed down hwy 7 to Russellvile. Hopped on I-40 and being bored out of my skull on the slab, decided to get off at Mayflower and take the backroads to Sherwood.

Had a great ride overall. Morning was very pleasant, but the heat in the afternoon didn't help. At least the rain cooled me down for awhile. I'll probably go back to the cafe again, hopefully the service won't suck as bad next time.

Cactus in Arkansas?

"Life is an aimless drive that ya take alone.
Might as well enjoy the ride, take the long way home."
-The Bloodhound Gang

Respen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #849
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

every restaurant I have ever eaten at in Ozark has had terrible service or was nasty... I do not eat in that town any more.

Nice ride report thanks for the pictures!

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #850
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
every restaurant I have ever eaten at in Ozark has had terrible service or was nasty... I do not eat in that town any more.
Ah, but the Ozark Cafe is actually in Jasper.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #851
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,047
Quote:

Nice ride report thanks for the pictures!
I think he's referring to the Ozark Cafe in Jasper. The only decent food/service in Ozark is the BBQ joint just off the square.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #852
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Ozark Restaurant is in Ozark
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #853
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oh.. I feel like Emily Litella... Never Mind.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #854
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

There used to be a place up on the hill above Jasper... On 74 I think.. Something view cafe or restaurant... Best steak I have ever eaten.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #855
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh.. I feel like Emily Litella... Never Mind.
I had to look her up didn't remember about Radner
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh