Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #106
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
Have to say Doc, you look much younger with the short hair......see wifey knows best!
Tnx Mikey...I think my long hair days are over..I just have to figure out how to look scarey with short hair.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #107
RipperFox
ExplosiveOrdnanceDisposal

Oddometer: 592
Maybe the maniacal laugh at a little higher pitch, and a goat skin comfort pillow under your arm. Just the though of it scares me.

Can you do "Marty Feldman" eyes? And a little drool goes a long way.

Imagine this photo, with "Marty Feldman" eyes, and a little drool. Scary!

RipperFox screwed with this post 04-01-2010 at 12:42 PM
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #108
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Dad and son take a little trip

Being as I am still officially too hurt to work but not too hurt (anymore)
to ride, I woke up yesterday morning and figured there was no time like the present to hit the road. I figured I'd head up to Mt. Magazine, since I'd never seen it, then head up to Durham to see my sister and her family. I quickly scanned the map, wolfed down my breakfast, kissed my sweet wife goodbye, and was about to head out, when my son, Seth, piped up. "Can I go?". Well, heck yeah! He's homeschooled, which means we can take off whenever we want. So he grabbed his gear, sad gear that it is, and off we went on my '07 Bonneville.

We live in East End, Arkansas, which means we're ten miles south of Little Rock by interstate. So we naturally headed out via two lane. Over to Benton, then up hwy 9 to hwy 10, where we stopped for gas (87 octane) and pizza (slightly less). Then up 9 again until 10 turned off to the west, where we did too. I quickly learned that this part of 10 kinda sucks, because it's all straight. We went through a few towns I'd never seen before, such as Danville, and they all looked like cool places to checkout some other time. Kept on 'til we got to the Mt. Magazine visitor center, where we of course bought candy. Then we actually made a scenic stop at an overlook on our way down the north side. Here we took a few pics. I gotta admit that I may have been pushing too hard at this point, having never really ridden this route before. I wish we had stayed there a little longer.

We sure did enjoy coming down off that mountain, riding the big sweeping curves at less than Rossi like speeds. Then we sped through Paris as fast as the traffic lights allowed, in a hurry to get to that hallowed Pig Trail. After a little confusion on my part in Ozark, we managed to cross under I-40 and head up into some more hills, where we hoped it would be a little cooler. We flew past Turner Bend, where we saw some Harley guys, then headed into the "crooked and steep" parts, where I went into the second turn too hot, fixed it, and then decided that I should probably slow down a little, since I was carrying Seth on the back. Came up to 215, which we turned onto and went a couple of miles before I turned back for fear of running out of gas (I had never been up some of these roads so I was playing it safe). Then we went up the second crooked and steep portion where we had to dirttrack over the road constructin, before pulling in and surprising my sis. Which she hates. Had a nice visit there then went on to get a hotel.

Woke up at the crack of dawn, ate at Mickey D's, then set off back down 23 to 215. We stopped there for some more pics.

By this time I had decided to take 215 over to 21, then go down to Clarkville, where we would hit I-40 for a high speed blast home, since I had to go to physical therapy at 2:00. From the maps, it looked like 215 was part dirt, but I figured the Bonnie could do it with no problems, even two up. So we started down it, really enjoying the curves and the views of the river, when we were abruptly stopped by some chick with a stop sign. Seems she didn't want us to drive into her little construction zone. We had been stopped about two seconds when a couple of dudes rolled up beside us on Yamaha dirt bikes. They asked if we were headed to Oark. Yep. I had wanted to see this fabled place. They said they were too. Once we got there, I found out it was 10cup and JaiDee! I was happy to meet some ADV guys. They invited us to eat breakfast with them, so we sat down and talked motorcycles and healthcare and home-school and money investment. I think they really got a kick out of seeing Seth taking a trip with me. Eventually it was suggested that Seth write his own ride report, which he will do, I guess, whenever his mom lets him stop doing chores.

After we left Oark we headed towards 21, taking the gravel part when we got to it. After a little confusion, we found 21, then turned towards Clarkville. From there it was a non-stop blast to the house, where we pulled in just in time. After taking a moment to admire our newborn goats (no kidding), I set off for PT, and that was that. Back to the world.

Mister D screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 08:49 AM
Mister D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #109
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,901
Great ride report! Looks like we have another rider on the way up.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #110
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTZDR
After taking a moment to admire our newborn goats (no kidding), I set off for PT, and that was that. Back to the world.

Shhhhh, Doc might hear you.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #111
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,682

Good stuff...

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #112
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Scotland Ride..........

I'm going to try to get this report done before I get too relaxed as I am really tired. Just rolled in from a 13 hour ride with JD over to Scotland and back......I had ridden the TAT from Jellico to about Russellville and then due to storms and rain had to divert to I 40/I 540 and high tail it home. So I wanted to go back and ride the portion I had missed last year. Thus the rather ambitious length of this trip.

Left the house at 0700 to a nice morning with the Sun just coming up. Headed for 265/16 to meet up with JD.

Merged on to I540 with the morning commute, probably the most dangerous part of the trip....not all the squirrels are in the trees.........

Wasn't long before we hit some dirt.......think this is going to be a great day.....Ol JD has a big grin on his face too.

Looks like it is going to be loose and dusty however............

We rocked along heading for a nice breakfast in Oark and then hit a snag at Wolf Pen where they are widening the road...... so I ease up beside a Father and his Son on a nice Triumph invited them to join us for Breakfast.

This guy was sitting in our lane, unattended......way to go ADOT..

Then this appears.............man I'm hungry already and it's only 10am..

So we pull up to the pumps and as you can see there is a lot of tension in the air.....

Meet Mr. UNLEADED...........er JD

Our new friends Duane (DRZDR) and Seth........ by the way my handle is 10Cup....don't let Elvis see you call'n me TinCup or it might stick...

Next order of business........you guessed it..........ummmmmm good. My first Oark Breakfast.

JD got the last of the Biscuits and gravy though he said he'd share if I wanted to take a chance on loosing my hand right at the wrist.....

So we finish a mighty fine breakfast........without biscuits and gravy.......and head out to the bikes.

Love the sound of this big twin..........reminds me of my old 750 flat tracker...

Hey Seth, like I told you "I'll make you famous"............but you gotta do the book report and post it on line for all the ADV'rs to read.....I'll be looking for it pal Everybody say hi to Seth and tell him how much you are looking forward to his ride report on his "Spring 2010 ride with his Dad!!

Anyway we say our goodbye's and all head East. We ride on past the swinging bridge at Catalpa and ride for another hour or so and I see of to my right another swinging bridge.....so JD and I make a U-turn and go back to check it out......this baby is pretty high and not in the best of shape.....could this be another adventure...........Oh yeah......

So I say hey JD what do ya think should we try it?............silence........but I could hear the wheels turning..........JD is nothing if he isn't fear less.....a few seconds later and there he goes....

SO HOW IS IT???...........

Deep and wide...........

BUT is it safe..........Sure come on..........So off I go...

JD, you wouldn't be kid'n me would you?.......

Man that baby got to swing'n with two of us on it....yikes.

But we both make it across and start exploring the opposite bank.

We both manage to get back across and stay dry.
About this time it's starting to warm up nicely, so we both take off some clothes and mount up, head East.

We pull into Scotland about 1:30 and take a few shots of this little town.

After a coke some salted peanuts and an ice cream bar (I always eat healthy on the road) we decide to head back....another 180 miles back from where we came from but by a slightly different route.

We didn't get too far when we came up on a creek crossing that had "JD gets wet socks" written all over it..........well this time he listened to me and we turned around and detoured......good decision.......about that time my camera decided to go on the blink but I think JD has some pic's of it.

A little later we stop for a little "break" and to smell the flowers....when ya gotta go ya gotta go man, especially at my age.....

We pull back into Oark about 5:30 and gas up. Decide to have a little bit to eat as well. We are really packing on the miles and are both dog tired.

So tired in fact that we were very glad that the Oark café has a "very" simple menu............ahhhhhhh....give me #1

This is what we both got and let me tell ya this burger is definitely a "Man sized Burger".......

Gas up AGAIN and head West trying to get back by O Dark Thirty or close to it.

Pretty large day by any ones measure. Hey Elvis probably good you didn't make it look at the top speed these R˛'s get..

Over and out........

10Cup screwed with this post 04-08-2010 at 05:32 PM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #113
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Nice Bonneville. I love those bikes.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #114
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Drzdr

GREAT report, love the Father/Son aspect......fantastic. HOWEVER, I am will'n to wager that OL Seth's report will be even better????????
Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #115
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, Mike, I am hoping his report is better than mine. This will probably be the first time he's done something like this, so I'm looking forward to it myself. He's been trying to get started, but mama won't let him, she has a sick goat and keeps enlisting his help. I guess he'll get it done tomorrow or we might stay up late tonight and do it. Thanks for the comments and compliments, fellas, and thanks to Nate for posting up the pics a little better (I think), they just look like links on my PC.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #116
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

No rush at all..

Enjoyed meeting you guys, but hey no rush, just a little fun that's all.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #117
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Great ride report, Tin10. You guys are pretty brave for trying that bridge!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #118
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oh Gawd! Don't mention "sick goat" out loud, Doc will send the paramedics.

Mike and JD, great report. Long arse day though...phew.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #119
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTZDR
Great ride report, Tin10. You guys are pretty brave for trying that bridge!
Does brave mean the same thing as naive?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #120
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
Enjoyed meeting you guys, but hey no rush, just a little fun that's all.
No problem, I know it. I know how these kind of messages can get mis-interpreted. Seth got a kick out of hearing that his report is being called for. He did get started on it but decided to call it a night. I'm really glad y'all suggested he do it. He's getting into it, which is really new for him, being dyslexic and all. I'm pretty excited too, since this will be his first creation of this type.