User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
POWDR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
1999 Gas Gas TXT 321 Opinion

I would like to get into trials somewhat inexpensively. I am a wildland firefighter and I have less and less time to trail ride. It would be easier for me to take short trail rides and play around on obstacles since I need to be within cell range and quick turn around time for a fire call.

So I have two questions

First- There is a 1999 Gas Gas TXT 321 near me for $2200. I have not yet seen the bike and I have not received info back from the guy on condition. For this price, I feel it would need to be mechanically perfect- engine, suspension, clutch all recently done. Any thoughts?

My top dollar I want to spend is $2200 (good to go and I don't need to put anything into it for the first couple months).

So my second question is if any of you have any suggestions on what would be a good trials bike to look for in that price. I realize that what is available is the largest barrier. Luckily my job allows me to travel this time of year.

Dirty has a Montesa for sale that I would snag, but PA is just a little too far to travel. If anyone has anything or seen anything relatively close to Utah, let me know.

Thanks for all the help.
POWDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
I just paid $2500. for my 2006 Gas Gas Raga, in pristine shape.

Keep looking, they're out there! And good luck!
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
hrdrckclmr
this is gona hurt

Oddometer: 90
I ride in the MATT (mid-american trials team) rode in comp for a few years then got out of it for awhile, (sold off everything) couple years ago was missing the fact you can play in you backyard and nobody cares. bought a 99 TXT321 better than fair condition for 1650. It is alittle heavy in the butt compaired to the newer stuff but god the torq is great. So diffently keep looking it is a relativly small market you can be picky
hrdrckclmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
POWDR OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the info guys. I will be patient. I really want to get into trials it just seems like I could turn the world, or my backyard, into a playground.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Laugh

Heck, I've been riding trials for nigh on 5 days now, and am looking for my NEXT trials bike!

This shite is addictive.
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
POWDR OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz
Heck, I've been riding trials for nigh on 5 days now, and am looking for my NEXT trials bike!

This shite is addictive.
That's the kind of enthusiasm that seems to be inherent to trials riders.

I can't wait to be a part of it
Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by borgmanr
I would like to get into trials somewhat inexpensively. I am a wildland firefighter and I have less and less time to trail ride. It would be easier for me to take short trail rides and play around on obstacles since I need to be within cell range and quick turn around time for a fire call.

So I have two questions

First- There is a 1999 Gas Gas TXT 321 near me for $2200. I have not yet seen the bike and I have not received info back from the guy on condition. For this price, I feel it would need to be mechanically perfect- engine, suspension, clutch all recently done. Any thoughts?

My top dollar I want to spend is $2200 (good to go and I don't need to put anything into it for the first couple months).

So my second question is if any of you have any suggestions on what would be a good trials bike to look for in that price. I realize that what is available is the largest barrier. Luckily my job allows me to travel this time of year.

Dirty has a Montesa for sale that I would snag, but PA is just a little too far to travel. If anyone has anything or seen anything relatively close to Utah, let me know.

Thanks for all the help.
You will find bike prices fluctuate from region to region, so a guy in KS might find one cheaper than a guy in Los Angles (usually). I think the 99 might be a high (you need to counter offer him). Look at the bike carefully. Most people that have these assume that a nice & running bike is worth 2k, where most of us think 1200 and somewhere in the middle is probably right... again west coast is higher than Plains, I dont know why but if you look at many club websites, the average asking price is just higher on both ends of the contenent, just like housing (lol)...

one thing about the older TXT bikes (vs the pro version out now) is the engine/trans was the same as the 2 stroke enduro/mx with a different tune head carb etc (dont forget to mention different gearing in the trans). so the trials TXT could take some punishment compared to what I want to allow to be done with my PRO (which was everything you have in txt made lighter :P )

the bike will be a nice beginner bike, should be good through until you start the amature classes or better. even then I still say the old TXT == newer Shercos (well until 09) lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
I sold my '99 TX for a whopping 1300 bucks two years ago, and it was in very good shape then. You can find a better deal.

And yes, Trials is VERY addictive. Ask me how I know......
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus
And yes, Trials is VERY addictive. Ask me how I know......
OK...How do you know??

Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
MN Yeti
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Still riding my 99 TXT 321

I bought a 99 TXT 321 back in '06 for $1200. It was in good shape, but not pristine. The one your looking at is worth maybe $1800 if it in great shape and needs nothing. They are a tough bike. Sting32 is right, the older TXT models are perfect unless you need the latest and greatest.

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles ..."
-Hunter S. Thompson
MN Yeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
POWDR OP
Adventurer

Thanks so far to everyone for their responses.

Thanks to those that have answered specifically about the TXT 321

I don't need the latest and greatest. In fact, I kind of like learning new things on older stuff and if I ever get skilled then I move on to more advanced equipment. Buuuuuuttt......the latest and greatest can be really nice.

So Brew.... how do you know Got any sweet pics to keep my stoke going until I find my new toy
Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,086
I just bought an '01 TXT321 for $2k, but it was about as close to brand-new as you could get. A couple scratches here and there from one competition, but it had everything, even the horn and factory tripmeter. Unfortunately, I really hadn't had a chance to ride it yet (after almost 3 months) because I'm trying to find a bigger spring for my fat butt. I'm excited to get it going but the waiting is getting really old.

What the earlier poster said about TXT's taking punishment is spot-on. I just sold my '98 TXT280. That bike was about as bulletproof as you can find, plus the parts are much cheaper than other bikes.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #13
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by borgmanr

So Brew.... how do you know Got any sweet pics to keep my stoke going until I find my new toy
In a nutshell, before 2006: Multiple on and off-road bikes, rode them often. Late 2005: NMTrailbitc...er, boss convinces me to go with him on a trials practice on his GasGas "just to sharpen up my off-road skills".
Since 2006: Still have the multiple on and off-road bikes (all largely ignored), up to 3 trials bikes (and working on a fourth-I'll find out this weekend), I'm now a board member of the local club, bought an RV for trials weekends, and vacation schedules revolve around regional and national trials events. It. Is. Addicting.

Any pics of the old GG, NMTrailb....oss?
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero
I just bought an '01 TXT321 for $2k, but it was about as close to brand-new as you could get. A couple scratches here and there from one competition, but it had everything, even the horn and factory tripmeter. Unfortunately, I really hadn't had a chance to ride it yet (after almost 3 months) because I'm trying to find a bigger spring for my fat butt. I'm excited to get it going but the waiting is getting really old.

What the earlier poster said about TXT's taking punishment is spot-on. I just sold my '98 TXT280. That bike was about as bulletproof as you can find, plus the parts are much cheaper than other bikes.

FWIW
the 01 321 (if it still has the stock shock) takes a taperd spring, check out eurodirt, in silt colorado (http://www.thewhimsicalwagon.com/eurodirt/). I bought all 3 springs I have had over the years from that guy, good guy. Another source could be, ol Adrian at http://www.lewisportusa.com/

I have had the 99 321, an 01 321 and then the 04 300 pro and my current 06 pro. the springs cost about 120 I think, which of course means I bought 3 different springs over the years. they also have stronger front fork springs available. I simply added to the springs in the forks and run heavier oil in the compression fork, really lightweight in the rebound fork.

I wish I had saved the ones I bought over the years, Id offer to sell you them... but all I have is a collection of stock ones that I replaced, lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
POWDR OP
Adventurer

Thanks Pro

Brew and Sting.....I believe you have a problem....too many bikes. You only have one ass to not put on those bikes- care to sell to someone trying to get into the game

OK, you have all been helpful so I have a new bike deal to pose. I had a guy contact me about a 2001 Montesa Cota 315 for $1800 that he says is in great condition. I have yet to see it, but assuming he means mechanically and not just cosmetically is this worth it in the opinions of those in the know.