User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #1
Earth Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
'06 Toyota Highlander?

I was looking at Highlanders for the family and found a super clean '06 with only 50k miles. I was initially looking at newer models but with the low miles and price ($12,900) I am tempted. Any reason not to? I could spend up to $20k, if I really needed to. Anything to look out for? It is the base model which I like, no bells and whistles.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
subvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
I was looking at Highlanders for the family and found a super clean '06 with only 50k miles. I was initially looking at newer models but with the low miles and price ($12,900) I am tempted. Any reason not to? I could spend up to $20k, if I really needed to. Anything to look out for? It is the base model which I like, no bells and whistles.

I haven't found anyone yet that's had a Highlander that's had anything bad to say about them. I have 2 close friends that have 1st generation Highlanders and both of them are at 200K+ on the odo and still going strong. I was told they're built on the Avalon chassis. That's a solid, proven platform

we bought a 2011 brand new. Limited version minus the navigation and backseat entertainment system. wife's car. I'll take it in another 5-6 years when she's tired of it and we get her something new. I'll drive it till it doesn't go anymore

check out this site for all things good / bad on the Highlanders. I don't go there often but they have their share of techie guys with tons of good advice, tricks, tips...
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/207-highlander-forum/
subvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Earth Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks! Very good info.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,016
We have an 06 Sport model with the 3.3L V6. I have NOTHING to complain about with the car. We bought it with 40K on the ODO and have put nearly 100K on it in about 4 years. It has been our most reliable vehicle- only issue we had was the alternator took a dump on us and the warranty took care of that (even the tow to the dealership). Paint on the front bumper is also peeling away in certain spots (not expensive to fix when you know people).

Keep on the factory service intervals and the thing will go forever. Having worked for Toyota, I never saw a major issue with a highlander while I was with the company, and some of my technician buddies have never done any major work to them in their Toyota careers.

Plenty of room for a family of 4, they even have a model with a 3rd row seat so you can fit up to 7 people inside.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Earth Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
We have an 06 Sport model with the 3.3L V6. I have NOTHING to complain about with the car. We bought it with 40K on the ODO and have put nearly 100K on it in about 4 years. It has been our most reliable vehicle- only issue we had was the alternator took a dump on us and the warranty took care of that (even the tow to the dealership). Paint on the front bumper is also peeling away in certain spots (not expensive to fix when you know people).

Keep on the factory service intervals and the thing will go forever. Having worked for Toyota, I never saw a major issue with a highlander while I was with the company, and some of my technician buddies have never done any major work to them in their Toyota careers.

Plenty of room for a family of 4, they even have a model with a 3rd row seat so you can fit up to 7 people inside.
Thanks, yep, this one has third-row seating. I love the vehicle, hope we end up with it.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Dbear
Hanging on

Oddometer: 14,830
I put 100,000 on my 2006. No problems and only traded it because I needed something that got better mileage because of my commute. If the service history and carfax look clean, I'd say go for it.
Dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Thumb

We have an '06 Lexus rx400h, same bones as the Highlander hybrid awd. It's been rock solid and very comfortable. No issues at all in our 75k miles. Gets an average of 27mpg.

It was cheaper than the Toyota versions I looked at, even certified from the Lexus dealer! Tows the bikes or a trailer load to the dump like it's not even there. Great in the snow too with snow tires.
rootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
One of my co-workers has one. Rock solid. I think he has about 150,000 on it and the only problem was that some jackass sawed off his catalytic converter in the parking lot at work...
discochris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:52 AM   #9
Road Program
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Not sure which engine you're going for, but I had an '06 4Runner with the V6 that I sold to my brother-in-law (for a song!) with about 120k on it. I still borrow it occasionally to tow bikes. Point being, if you get the Highlander with the same drivetrain as the 4Runner, and you take care of it, you should expect many, many more miles of it. As far as other stuff, like electrical issues, there were absolutely ZERO problems.

Come to think of it, why the hell did I sell him that thing?
Road Program is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
Earth Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all the input everyone.

So update on this vehicle, we took it to a mechanic and it checked out. The wife is driving it on a 150 mile trip today. If all goes okay we will be trying to grab it tonight.

The mechanic said he didn't think it was worth $12,900. NADA says it is worth a bit more, KBB says it is worth a bit less. The thing is, when we called about it Monday morning they had a little mix up and sent it out to be auctioned off, but they were able to get it back. I know this gives us more wiggle room. I have no experience with auctions though, so not sure how much. Any thoughts?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
Paul_B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
My wife has an 07, currently around 80K. Stone cold reliable, nothing has ever gone wrong with it.

Except.....

The interior (biege fabric) will be stained by water! I don't know how Toyota invented that. Other than that, a great car.
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Program View Post
Not sure which engine you're going for, but I had an '06 4Runner with the V6 that I sold to my brother-in-law (for a song!) with about 120k on it. I still borrow it occasionally to tow bikes. Point being, if you get the Highlander with the same drivetrain as the 4Runner, and you take care of it, you should expect many, many more miles of it. As far as other stuff, like electrical issues, there were absolutely ZERO problems.

Come to think of it, why the hell did I sell him that thing?
Different driveline entirely. 4.0 V6 with a 5 speed auto RWD vs either a 3.0 or 3.3 V6 with a 5 speed transaxle FWD.

The Highlander is based off of the Avalon, the 4Runner is based off of the Tacoma.

Avoid the 4 cylinder highlander.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
Road Program
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Different driveline entirely. 4.0 V6 with a 5 speed auto RWD vs either a 3.0 or 3.3 V6 with a 5 speed transaxle FWD.

The Highlander is based off of the Avalon, the 4Runner is based off of the Tacoma.

Ah, thank you for the clarification.
Road Program is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:53 AM   #14
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,364
Quote:
What's wrong with the 4 cylinder?
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #15
Earth Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

it seems like the vehicle is way too big for an engine that small.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: