Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #1666
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
when you say pricey you are NOT kidding. ($3500)
Yeah - I could see them going for half that price, maybe a little more.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #1667
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,167
Finally Did It

Pulled the trigger on this today.

Took it for a "test drive" today to see how it towed (just fine) towed it straight to a fab shop that specializes in modifying trailers to see if it's feasible to extend the tongue so I can have a rack built on it to haul the DRZ or Husky.................no problem they said

It's a 2010 15ft Jayco that has had zero use on it, and we got it for 1/2 what it sold for 3yrs ago.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #1668
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 270
I'm sure they can do it, but I wonder what the tongue weight's 'gonna be when they're finished and you've put a bike up front. It already looks front heavy.

I'd be thinking about some way to counterbalance that load. Maybe have them weld up some extensions on the rear end for holding stuff like a generator, extra water/fuel or whatever.

Maybe a WDH.

And when you're done, take a look at the load rating of the tires. You'll have a very nice rig when you get done.
eric1514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #1669
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post

Took it for a "test drive" today to see how it towed (just fine) towed it straight to a fab shop that specializes in modifying trailers to see if it's feasible to extend the tongue so I can have a rack built on it to haul the DRZ or Husky.................no problem they said

It's a 2010 15ft Jayco that has had zero use on it, and we got it for 1/2 what it sold for 3yrs ago.
Great find! Unless you pan to take 6 kids with you, it's all you'll ever need. Would you post a couple of interior shots. It's just what we're looking for. Thanks.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #1670
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,002
Quote:

Congrats! As eric1514 said, you are very likely going to be a candidate for a WDH once you add a couple hundred more pounds to the tongue weight.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Buy My John Deere!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #1671
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Some of you might find this interesting. These are not cheap, but they look kewl.

Maybe I'm the exception but their website doesn't give me any where enough information to justify a $3500 price tag.

If I'm spending that kind of money I want to know how the thing works. I want to see cut aways. Not just some pics of a shiny tin can with a bunch of claims as to what it can do.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #1672
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I'm sure they can do it, but I wonder what the tongue weight's 'gonna be when they're finished and you've put a bike up front. It already looks front heavy.

I'd be thinking about some way to counterbalance that load. Maybe have them weld up some extensions on the rear end for holding stuff like a generator, extra water/fuel or whatever.

Maybe a WDH.

And when you're done, take a look at the load rating of the tires. You'll have a very nice rig when you get done.

Tongue weight with the DRZ on it will be slightly over 600lbs, yeah a bit heavy, but I've done a lot of research and with a WDH it will be fine (and I already have air bags). I was already thinking of a rack for the back, just don't want to end up with a trailer longer then what I wanted...........oh wait I already did that
Good idea on checking the tire rating, I have put a lot of thought into this, but that is one thing I overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Great find! Unless you pan to take 6 kids with you, it's all you'll ever need. Would you post a couple of interior shots. It's just what we're looking for. Thanks.
Lyle
The kids are grown up and if we take any grand kids with us they can sleep in a tent although there is 2 bunks that we plan on using for storage......moto gear and such.
I'll post up more pics after we get it home, there are some here in this link http://www.forrestrvs.com/inventory/...SLX-154BH.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Congrats! As eric1514 said, you are very likely going to be a candidate for a WDH once you add a couple hundred more pounds to the tongue weight.
I've been looking, just not sure which ones to get yet.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #1673
skysailor
Rat Rider

Any way you could put a rack on the back that would take a DRZ? Sure would lighten your tongue weight?
Lyle
Old 04-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #1674
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,532
Quote:
...It's a 2010 15ft Jayco that has had zero use on it, and we got it for 1/2 what it sold for 3yrs ago.
Quote:
Good idea on checking the tire rating, I have put a lot of thought into this, but that is one thing I overlooked.

Still beating the trailer tire thing to death... ...but only because I'd hate for anyone to go through what we did with ours.

'They' will tell you trailer tires have a much shorter lifespan mainly due to their being used less. Check them out very carefully. Consider replacing them regardless. In any event, keep the correct amount of air in them.

Nice looking rig you got there. It's gonna be a load of fun!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #1675
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Any way you could put a rack on the back that would take a DRZ? Sure would lighten your tongue weight?
Lyle
Not enough tongue weight is not good either. They recommend 10-15 % of the loaded trailer weight.
'07 Mutant Ninja II (sold)click for build report
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #1676
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Not enough tongue weight is not good either. They recommend 10-15 % of the loaded trailer weight.
Does it have a negative affect on handling?
Lyle
Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #1677
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Lyle
It sure as hell can! It is worse with light weight, short wheelsbase tow vehicles, and "light" single axle trailers, because a shift of that much weight compared to the total trailer weight could easily put you into a negitive tounge weight. That would be very bad because it pulls up on the rear axle of the tow vehicle (and it gets maginfied over bumps), which leaves the majority of the weight on the steer axle and the trailer axle making for an 3 ton accordian on crack. My 21' (about 4000') tandem trailer when towed with my Titan would get VERY squirlly with a 240lbs ish dirt bike on the back rack. Did it once, and never again. Cross winds were particularlly hairy.

As for the WDH, for that setup just about any of them will be fine. The truck and hitch (assuming you aren't pulling on the actual bumper) is probably rated for 500lbs tounge, 5000 lbs total WITHOUT a WDH so a WDH hitch wouldn't have to work that hard, if the 600lbs are correct and there are already airbags, I would get fairly light spring bars espcially if you are going to be on rough roads. I would be far more concerned about the bike touching the truck in tight corners (like backing into a camp spot).

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

dwayne screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 12:16 PM
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #1678
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Lyle
Everything DWayne said. It's very dangerous especially for a single axle trailer to be too light on the tongue. Like he said plus it greatly increases the possibility of severe sway or fishtailing, which can lead to really catastrophic events.

Make sure your welder guy knows what he's doing to modify the tongue and definitely get n accurate weighing on it before you tow at highway speeds.

Too much or too little tongue weight are both bad things. Actually too little is worse. If you don't have towing experience, you might consider a WDH and a sway controller. Or just stay off the interstate until you have a good feel for the setup.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Buy My John Deere!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #1679
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Don't want to jack the thread but I've got a question. I've been thinking of a small trailer like that. Would it be possible to extend the tongue for a small bike like a DRZ & extend the rear for another small bike. That would balance pretty well. I need to haul 2 bikes & I don't really like ramping them up into the bed of the truck. The trailer would be much lower, easier to load. What do you guys think? How can a person tell if the frame could handle the weight? What should I look for? Any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks, Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #1680
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Don't want to jack the thread but I've got a question. I've been thinking of a small trailer like that. Would it be possible to extend the tongue for a small bike like a DRZ & extend the rear for another small bike. That would balance pretty well. I need to haul 2 bikes & I don't really like ramping them up into the bed of the truck. The trailer would be much lower, easier to load. What do you guys think? How can a person tell if the frame could handle the weight? What should I look for? Any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks, Murf
Look for a very substantial sub frame. Most little/light trailers are made to be little and light and they skimp on materials. I don't think I'd hang even a small bike off the back of my Casita without some serious modifications. That being said if you are clever or know a good welder the sub frame can certainly be beefed up on most trailers.

It's certainly doable, but I'd have to defer to "eyes on the job" to know if any particular trailer can handle such a thing. I'd say there probably aren't any that would do so without being beefed up a lot.

If you pull that off, I'd like to hear about it!

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Buy My John Deere!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: