Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 195 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #166
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,317
All,
question about storing all these super cool trailers ya'all have...

I've been wanting a light travel trailer for quite some time, but HOA rules negate storing on site. I've tried some specific businesses geared towards toy storage, i.e. boats and trailers. Seems to run about $50 a month? Having a hard time with the $600 a year in storage, a much tougher time than with the actual purchase price...

So where do you guys store your trailers? Or do you all live in areas without the HOA regs against them?
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #167
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER
All,
question about storing all these super cool trailers ya'all have...

I've been wanting a light travel trailer for quite some time, but HOA rules negate storing on site. I've tried some specific businesses geared towards toy storage, i.e. boats and trailers. Seems to run about $50 a month? Having a hard time with the $600 a year in storage, a much tougher time than with the actual purchase price...

So where do you guys store your trailers? Or do you all live in areas without the HOA regs against them?
First - HOA's are evil.....I hate them - that's why I bought a house in an older neighborhood with no HOA.

I used to store my trailer in my back yard behind a tall fence - didn't bother anybody - couldn't see it from the street. Neighbors that back up to that side of the house could only see the roof of it from their second story so no issues.

Teardrops will fit in a garage and some of the smaller pop-ups will too. For larger trailers some of those aluminum carports can be sided and enclosed to make a free standing garage (probably will piss off the HOA though).

Friends and family - another possibility. My sister lives about 40 miles away in a rural area on six acres. She offered to store my trailer if I ever needed to keep it somewhere else (she already owns two of her own - an old 16" Barth she's restoring and a more modern 28' camper). Some companies have recreation clubs with places where members can store their trailers, boats or whatever.

Trailers are fun and I already miss mine. I'll get another one when I can afford it.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #168
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,377
Cricket Trailer

Saw this at the OR Show in Salt Lake in January:

Designed by a fellow who designs (among other things) space habitats for NASA. It shows. Fits in a garage. Very comfy for two. And very light at 1300 lbs. And very expensive at around $17K. But after spending some time in it you kinda start thinking that it's worth it. It's a prototype so if he were to license the design to a mass producer the price would drop. One major drawback is that the rear hatch is not big enough to fit a bike in. Future iterations may have a receiver for a hitch built into the back for a bike mount, but then you'd have to balance the thing with weight up front. All in all a hell of a nice lightweight camper.
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #169
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,565
UtahGuido.
Pic didn't come through--- I hope this one does.

And here is a link

CricketTrailer

Looking through the PDF it is an interesting design. Unfortunately their webpage (not really a site) is too far into the bling and not show you the trailer. This and the EggCamper I think have a lot going for them--- thinking in terms of small platform for extended stays/trips.

Of course Jurgen is still smitten by the Teardrops... oh, and the standard Egg types.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 03-23-2010 at 08:38 PM
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #170
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,370
Wow, that looks like a prototype. I like the walk-in cooler door hinges.

Tents ain't my thing and at 1,300, that's the same weight as my big teardrop empty.

Fortunately, I have no HOA and park my 'drop in the driveway.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #171
motojosh
Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido
Looks like a Dune Sport: http://dunesport.com/index.php
Anyone have any experience with these? I really like the looks of the T@DA and the r-pod, but the beds in those are too short for me (I'm 76", and the beds are 74" at most...). With an 8.5' wide body, I would hope the beds would be long enough even for me!
motojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 AM   #172
Redne Dab
Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 1,101

Awesome thread. I've been lusting over the Coleman pop-ups but some of these are extremely intriguing.

Subscribed.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 AM   #173
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Fortunately, I have no HOA and park my 'drop in the driveway.
What's that address bro?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #174
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittrrider
My girlfriend and I bought a R-pod about a year ago, had a blast with it all summer and then pulled it out to Moab from Wisconsin for two weeks in Oct. I've never owned a trailer before, just always used my tent, I can honestly say it makes the experience so much more fun for us, having done the tent camping thing for so long, its nice to have a dry clean place to sleep at night, along with very little set-up, makes it worth every penny (keeps my girl happy.....which makes my life a lot easier)
http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1
http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1
A dealer near me has a bunch of those, I like the model with the slideout.
Unfortunately my Jeep is too anemic to pull anything around a thousand pounds or more and not suck gas like crazy.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 03-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #175
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
What's that address bro?
California, but I know locks and just because I'm in CA does not mean I don't own the other favrorite thing of this site....guns.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #176
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Here is one we were looking at before we bought our motorhome , lite weight , hard top and sides . Check them out . http://www.aliner.com/design/homepage5.php
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #177
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,154
I have been eyeballing the Microlite Vymeron. All aluminum construction and minimalistic design - plus it can haul a few motorcycles too. Looks like you can find them for 7-9K on dealer lots. http://www.microlitetrailer.com/

error cooled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #178
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely
California, but I know locks and just because I'm in CA does not mean I don't own the other favrorite thing of this site....guns.
I hate it when people shoot at me.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #179
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
I hate it when people shoot at me.
Well, you know, you sweet talk the wife and she might loan it to you though.

Besides, it's a long drive to haul a hot-wire back to TX man...

Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #180
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,747
Half the fun was building it...if I do build another teardrop camper it will probally look some what like this one.

[/quote]

This little teardrop keeps popping in my mind since I read this thread. I have a 20 year old 5x8 trailer (motorcycle) that I rarely use. This makes me think about buying some corragated metal and wood to make a very simple little camper.

I do have a 24 foot Trial Lite that I pull with a half ton Dodge Ram 360. Fully loaded with bikes family and the dog I can still pass you if I want. Big mountians slow us down but I can still make 55.

A little hillbilly teardrop, bike on the truck might be fun though. I'm not much of a carpenter, fit and finish might be rough.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: