Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 137 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #1831
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Freedom is wonderful innit? And we go the opposite way: Why live in an aluminum can with all portable gear? We pull the Camp-Inn into a camp ground and can be fed, watered and in BED in 30 minutes from the time the car key turns off. And that includes putting the kitchen away and being ready to roll in the AM if needed.

Horses for courses I say: A cargo trailer is just a tent that does not have to be erected.

Keep in mind that when we travel, we don't haul bikes, quads, side by sides, sand rails, boats, tubes, bicycles or other plunder - for us, the point of our teardrop is that we tired of sleeping on ground, wanted hard-sides for bear security, and a kitchen that is not a hobo kitchen. And we wanted all that in a 4 cylinder towable configuration.

Not a lot of choices that make sense.

And yea, precision costs more. Our Camp-Inn was $20K - which was the equal in 2007 dollars to renting a 23' motor home for three months and 20,000 miles - I did the math on the RV rental sites before we ordered ours. Six years later, we still get to use it, so I'd say as a rough guess we have saved bucks.

Also, we don't have kids at home, which means a bed for two is plenty. We also don't drive full size pickups/SUV's with 10,000 lb. towing capacity or better, so lighter, smaller, and lower profile is good - as is the ability to fit into the older campsites.

Somewhere I read a wag who said that a camper is too big when you need to carrry a vacuum cleaner.

I looked at that teardrop with the equipment front porch and object to it's mechanical configuration, nothing else.
This particular conversation is exactly what drove me to consider a-frames like aliner & chalet. You get the conveniences & sturdiness & speed to deploy you talk about wrt the teardrop, and the comfort of a little more headroom that Navin pointed out.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #1832
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Yea, for a guy who has the need to carry a lot of additonal hardware, that configuraton looks cool - I worked with an SAR team that used a box body like that and boy did it make gear organization nice.

The only thing that bugs me about these is that I'm not a fan of canvas pop-ups - The old wet-tent thing, although most people don't seem to mind. I should probably be more open-minded.

And it's go almost anywhere at what should be a fraction of those custom built rigs cost.
True. An alternative (although more costly) to the tent side is to put an Alaskan pop-up camper on it. Also a dream rig for me. The utility-body camper would be sweet for gear and equipment storage. Hell, you could insulate a compartment and use it as a cooler. Or put a clothes rod in a tall box and hang clothes.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #1833
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,141
[QUOTE=Navin;22057473]
Quote:
Freedom is wonderful innit? And we go the opposite way: Why live in an aluminum can with all portable gear?

Yes, but it that teardrop really anything other than a flat tin can?

Aren't you cooking and eating in the rain too? Or opening up an easy up I guess? IDK, without a bike or a boat, why go camping? I get the dry place to sleep, the being off the ground, the no tent comfort. For my uses it would be too much sacrifice of practical space for the benefit of style I guess?

Roll in, unload the bike, unfold the table, eat. 30 minutes till bed sounds about right either way.
Well, ours is pretty well outfitted, it is insulated and fully finished inside, not a raw interior, it's got a bunch of storage inside, including four underbed compartments, plus a couch inside so if the weather is really horrible we put a movie on the computer and crawl inside.

Yes, the fully equipped propane stove kitchen with sink, water and grey water tank is off the back - we carry an easy-up shelter, we just got our second one, it's a full 10' square with sides - it's amazing how weathproof you can be if necessary, and it's not always needed, which is nice.

Cooking outside is pretty much standard anyway even with motor home people, I've seen so it's not much penalty - we don't winter camp.

We have doors on both sides of our unit, so there's no crawling -that is a useful option.

As to bikes/boats, etc: We go to the woods to try and find quiet. Sometimes it works. My wife likes to paint, I like to sit and think. The only thing we take to the woods besides the car that uses gas is the Coleman Lantern, and I try not to light that if I can avoid it.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #1834
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,673
I'm not knockin it, different strokes is all. It is good you found something that works for you. Well done! Not many do it seems.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #1835
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
This particular conversation is exactly what drove me to consider a-frames like aliner & chalet. You get the conveniences & sturdiness & speed to deploy you talk about wrt the teardrop, and the comfort of a little more headroom that Navin pointed out.
I like the looks of those, IIRC they were too big/heavy for the Subi.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #1836
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,312
Quote:
These things sort of bother me - unloaded vs. loaded tongue weight makes for wierd handling, and loaded that axle is too far back - more than half that bike weight is tongue weight.
My set up is obviously a little different, but I have found no difference in towing my trailer with or without the bike. I was very concerned about tongue weight with the bike, but I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of trailer/towing experts that confirmed that if I had air bags (already had them) and used WD bars it would be no problem.........and it hasn't been.

And to comment on having something to stand up in, my wife and I have both tent camped since we were kids...........we're (well at least me) getting old now and just want more comfort
We'll still keep the tent and use it at times.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #1837
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 394
Here's a build thread on a smallish trailer with some standing room

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=50349#

Latest pic:

Plan view:

Sent from my Tablet PC using Tapatalk 4

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life

theWolfTamer screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 01:05 AM
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #1838
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,172

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #1839
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
I'm guessing he doesn't go under bridges too much
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #1840
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
I'm guessing he doesn't go under bridges too much
or corner on both sides...what a hoot. I love the flying bridge.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #1841
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Here is my 1967 Appleby. I bought it 4 years ago for next to nothing but it's tent was completely shot. I had a new tent made for $750. Now it is as good as new. I've read of people pulling them with a gold wing. I'm tempted to get a hitch for my Vulcan 1500 and try it. It pulled like it wasn't there behind my Geo Tracker. I've taken up ATVing in the last 2 years so I don't use the camper as much because I can't pull both the ATV trailer and the camper trailer.

More pics:
http://keithert.com/appleby/appleby.html
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #1842
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Not in the market for a small trailer since I have a toyhauler but I found this on craigslist and thought this would make a bitchin bike/trailer hauler for camping.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/tls/3997605301.html

SP
Old 08-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #1843
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil View Post
Not in the market for a small trailer since I have a toyhauler but I found this on craigslist and thought this would make a bitchin bike/trailer hauler for camping.

SP

Too streamlined for my taste - I'm looking for something a bit more angular and rustic.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #1844
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil View Post

SP
Does that thing really need to be chained up?
tonymorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #1845
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Does that thing really need to be chained up?
If its still full of tools? Yeah. I bet the contents are worth way more than the trailer.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: