User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 286 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #1921
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,441
I did a 6x12 cargo and it has been great!

I put a 12v deep cycle battery in it and lights/water pump go forever. I have not charged it in a month or 2 and all worked fine, I plugged it in the other night just because it has been so long.
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #1922
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Thumb

^^^^^^^ Very Nice
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #1923
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,395
That is a sweet rig!

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #1924
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenfarmboy View Post
Another great place to get ideas is RV.net forum, there as many thread sections in there as there is here, and great folks.
I am also a big fan of RV.net, lots of great info to be found there.

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #1925
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

I'll definitely check that out. So many forums....so little time.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #1926
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,337
If you have a pick yourself salvage yard near by check there for parts. I have picked up a few items for pennies on the dollar that way.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #1927
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
So anyone ever thought about putting one of these out the back of their pop up or aliner?

I am really interested in possibly getting one and putting a mount like this on the front as well so I can take both me and my gf's bikes and keep the weight low enough possibly for the subaru outback xt of mine to pull it.

trying to avoid things like this that look like they have massive tongue weight with bikes on board:

otherwise id totally go with a jayco baja or one of those aliner knock off trailers by forest river with the same.

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 02:36 PM
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #1928
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
So anyone ever thought about putting one of these out the back of their pop up or aliner?

I am really interested in possibly getting one and putting a mount like this on the front as well so I can take both me and my gf's bikes and keep the weight low enough possibly for the subaru outback xt of mine to pull it.

trying to avoid things like this that look like they have massive tongue weight with bikes on board:

otherwise id totally go with a jayco baja or one of those aliner knock off trailers by forest river with the same.
Man, I've never seen a pop up or anything small with a beefy enough frame to carry a bike on the back. And putting a bike on the front of a Subaru?

I'm just not seeing that as feasible.

Even a little toy hauler like that would be better. Yes, it probably has at least a hundred pounds on the tongue just to make it safe when not loaded, and adding even two very small bikes will probably put you over your Subaru's tongue cap, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree with that other plan...

JMO

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #1929
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:

What a completely half-assed design. I guess they're thinking "how heavy could it be?"
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #1930
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post

What a completely half-assed design. I guess they're thinking "how heavy could it be?"
don't be so quick to judge....

I've heard several owners of these things that like 'em. A few of them are on here...and I hope they add their thoughts about this.

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #1931
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
don't be so quick to judge....

I've heard several owners of these things that like 'em. A few of them are on here...and I hope they add their thoughts about this.
Maybe if you're towing it with a truck, I guess it doesn't matter much, being a bantam weight trailer and all. It's certainly good to be sure you're weight-forward of the trailer axle. But still...that is *really* far forward. You put a hundred pounds on that trailer, and it's already over a subaru's tongue weight limit. A taco'd be ok unless you're dropping a ginormous side-by-side on their or something.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #1932
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Maybe if you're towing it with a truck, I guess it doesn't matter much, being a bantam weight trailer and all. It's certainly good to be sure you're weight-forward of the trailer axle. But still...that is *really* far forward. You put a hundred pounds on that trailer, and it's already over a subaru's tongue weight limit. A taco'd be ok unless you're dropping a ginormous side-by-side on their or something.
And how many people are towing with a Subaru? That is the limiting factor, not the design of that trailer.

If you want to tow, you get a truck or SUV that can handle it. I'll throw some cars in the mix because most German cars can actually tow, and most Germans use their wagon to haul a light trailer. Subaru's just aren't made to do it.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #1933
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
And how many people are towing with a Subaru? That is the limiting factor, not the design of that trailer.

If you want to tow, you get a truck or SUV that can handle it....
Well, actually, what got me going in the first place was the fact that it was a teardrop at the end. Teardrops (tend to) cater to those who want to pull with a normal car, or even a ridiculous car...those who don't ascribe to the "get a truck or get out of the game" mentality.

But you're right, just because the dude's happy in a teardrop doesn't mean he has to be in a rinky dink car. Personally, I'd love it if more of the lightweight/compact/pop-up manufacturers gave us toy hauling options.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #1934
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 879
Quote:

Those things are not bad, we move one for costumer with bikes on it with my outback ,tow great but he modify his so the axle can be moved forward on th fly for travel and amount of weight. when he talk to the trailer builder they say that they considered that but general public is to stupid to use the proper way it and to much liability on their end.
Semi trailers slide the axles all the time to transfer the weight.

y2k

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #1935
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post

If you want to tow, you get a truck or SUV that can handle it. I'll throw some cars in the mix because most German cars can actually tow, and most Germans use their wagon to haul a light trailer. Subaru's just aren't made to do it.

Pretty amusing since Volkswagen USA says the official tow capacity of most of the vehicles they sell here is zero. I learned this when I was on the way to the dealer to buy a wagon. I didn't believe him, and actually called VWOA - it was true. The Toureg has a high rating, but honestly I can't remember ever seeing one with a trailer.

The two capacity of an Outback 3.0R is 3,500 lbs in the US and 4,400 lbs in the rest of the world. My 2006 has 153,000 miles on it.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: