Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #1951
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
Not sure if this is the place to ask but is there a disc brake set up that I could put on my trailer that I tow behind my tiger, I am looking for something that will just put just enough drag to help slow the trailer when I apply the brakes on the bike, I don't want the drum type brakes because of the weight
You could check with one of the sidecar vendors. Jay at DMC or Claude at C Stanley Motorsports. They've installed disc brake setups on hacks and it can't be much different.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #1952
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
A follow up to your post - not to be an ass, but because I don't know the answer and I'm sure some here will . . .

Every time I see the words "towing package" associated with pick-ups I always think "additional radiator to cool the transmission" and "different (lower) gearing." But is there more than that? Does "towing package" automatically mean larger brakes or is it assumed that larger trucks just come standard with enough braking power to stop anything they can pull? I'm pretty sure my Liberty can pull way more than it can stop. And I'm pretty sure even the smallest pick-ups can pull/stop more than a toy like my Liberty.
I bought a 97 one ton dually Dodge and discovered some years later that it had a class III hitch on it. I was overloading the crap out of that thing & didn't know it. Now who would think to look for something like that?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #1953
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I bought a 97 one ton dually Dodge and discovered some years later that it had a class III hitch on it. I was overloading the crap out of that thing & didn't know it. Now who would think to look for something like that?
friend did something similar to that but with a ball mounted on his bumper.....not receiver....his bumper Dude didn't know any better until he was complaining about how high up it was and how he needed it lower for towing and someone told him to get a drop hitch and he explained why it wouldn't work
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #1954
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrout01 View Post
I regularly towed 2,500 lbs with my VW Jetta TDI. The TDI didn't mind it at all and the four wheel disc brakes stopped everything fine. VWOA doesn't list towing specs for liability reasons. Pussy lawyers.

I've done the same with my old Jetta (which VWoA rated at around 1000# unbraked and 1400# with trailer brakes, if I recall correctly) and plan to continue with my Passat. Looking at doing electric trailer brakes this time for a greater safety margin.

Old pic; not a heavy load:

Hitch just installed on the new VW:
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #1955
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
Not sure if this is the place to ask but is there a disc brake set up that I could put on my trailer that I tow behind my tiger, I am looking for something that will just put just enough drag to help slow the trailer when I apply the brakes on the bike, I don't want the drum type brakes because of the weight
Both types of trailer brakes are HEAVY. Your axle will need a mount flange for either type of brake install, and I don't know if they make electric (as opposed to electric over hydraulic) disk brakes. If you can't find an pure electric trailer disk brake, the system will probably weigh more than just going with drums. Either way you will need a brake controller, you should NOT hook up trailer brakes to your tail light. You typically run a battery to apply the trailer brakes in case of a break away, but I imagine you could dispense with that in a motorcycle setup.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #1956
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrout01 View Post
You could check with one of the sidecar vendors. Jay at DMC or Claude at C Stanley Motorsports. They've installed disc brake setups on hacks and it can't be much different.
You can put a hydraulic line between a hack and a motorcycle...not sure that's a great plan between a motorcycle and a trailer.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #1957
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I don't know of one, but it wouldn't be terribly hard to make it. A repurposed disc braking system from a motorcycle and an 12v electric motor to actuate it. The rest is just placement.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
If you are going to go the fabrication route, I would suggest a mechanical (cable actuated disk brakes) from a mountain bike on a separate hand control (kinda like an extra compression release lever), or actuated by a 12v linear actuator. Lots of adjustability, and very light.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #1958
sumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
My little toy hauler is almost done. A little more to go.

sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #1959
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,720
NICE!!!

....and I'm sorry to say, but we're gonna need alot more photos of this!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #1960
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,694
I've got a slight problem and a possible solution. My receiver is tucked under my rear bumper a bit. When the ball is hooked up, it is merely a couple of inches from my bumper. This makes me a bit nervous when backing up to the trailer, as I have to get really darn close. Picking the tongue up is also an iffy move.

I feel like the TV is too close to the trailer. So far, the turning radius with my v-nose seems ok with this configuration. But I don't want to find out the hard way that I'm too close.

I picked up one of these at Northern Tool today. At 14", this was the shortest extension I could find.

Anyone ever use one of these? Does extending the hitch that much have any adverse effects on towing?

For the record, I'm tugging a 7x16 with a GL320 (diesel), so my TV has some substantial mass to it.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #1961
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,694
Well, I'll leave the previous post up for discussion, but after checking it all out, 14" is way farther than I need to go. I need about 4"-6" tops.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #1962
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I've got a slight problem and a possible solution. My receiver is tucked under my rear bumper a bit. When the ball is hooked up, it is merely a couple of inches from my bumper. This makes me a bit nervous when backing up to the trailer, as I have to get really darn close. Picking the tongue up is also an iffy move.

I feel like the TV is too close to the trailer. So far, the turning radius with my v-nose seems ok with this configuration. But I don't want to find out the hard way that I'm too close.
I am not sure I quite see what the problem is. The tongue of the trailer is 8-10" long, yes? And then the "V".

Are you concerned about it hitting the bumper with the "V" when you need to make a tight turn, or visibility when hooking up?

Many hitches aren't any farther away from the bumper than yours appears to be.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #1963
norcal-SAHD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
I am not sure I quite see what the problem is. The tongue of the trailer is 8-10" long, yes? And then the "V".

Are you concerned about it hitting the bumper with the "V" when you need to make a tight turn, or visibility when hooking up?

Many hitches aren't any farther away from the bumper than yours appears to be.
hell, back in the day our balls were bolted right on the bumper. Not to be confused with the stupid balls hanging under the bumper these days.
norcal-SAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #1964
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post

Nice a-frame teardrop! How do you like it?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #1965
sumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I like it a lot. I am still working on it . I cannot wait to use it and test it
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: