User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 285 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #406
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
it is the part of the unit that pulls out from the side to make section of the unit wider. it actually powers out now a days.
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #407
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Any comments? Anything else comparable out there? Will the towing mileage suck as bad as I think it will?

My plan is to go ahead and rent one this spring and see what happens.
A small toy hauler behind the Jeep seems like the answer to me. As for comparable cabin rent, where I want to go there aren't any cabins...

I'm eager to hear your impressions after spending some time with one.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #408
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
it is the part of the unit that pulls out from the side to make section of the unit wider. it actually powers out now a days.
Bait.

Now u has it.
;)
Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #409
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Bait.

Now u has it.
;)
damn... not in JM....
Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #410
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,931
Quote:
A note about older RV's and class C's in particular:

Bueller speaks the truth....

We went from tent camping to a Scamp when the kids were toddlers, to a 21' Sunline pull behind to a 32' used Airstream class A. As we got bigger and bigger the more I hated dealing with all the issues. Sold the Airstream last year and bought a really nice canvas tent and a 5x10 utility trailer. Life is good again. All the camping stuff stores in the trailer and it can serve double duty as a bike hauler if needed. We tend to stay outdoors most of the time anyway and most campgrounds have shower facilities. What seems to work the best for us on vacations is 2-3 nights camping in one location a travel day with a hotel/pool and then another 2-3 nights camping in the next location.

The Scamp was probably the least amount of maintenance of the three. The Sunline was good also but it was reaching the 15 year mark when I sold it. The Class A was a bargain when I bought it but I was always nervous about something breaking. I went through and fixed all the maintenance stuff but found some early signs of delamination and damage from previous water intrusion. However, my greatest fear was a breakdown on a trip and having the combination of a monster tow bill and a screwed up vacation. At least with pulling with your daily driver you pretty much know the reliability of the tow vehicle.

We pulled the Scamp all over the place with a Toyota Sienna and never even noticed it was back there. As long as your load is balanced and level you will be fine. If you had an older Jeep with the leaf springs things would be different but with the newer stuff no problems.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #411
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
I am sure the owner of this rig will not mind me posting a few pictures. I made a few parts and brackets for the trailer and made the hitch plate for his Honda ST1100 so he could pull this. And pull it he did, from the SouthEast US up to the Arctic Circle in Alaska and back across Canada. I think he and his co-pilot managed close to 15,000 miles over three months living out of this rig.

He let me use it for a weekend when I was camping out at the Indianapolis Moto GP race. I found it to be very comfortable and very well sorted. It was easy to setup and take down. It had the fully enclosed vestibule area that is fully floored. There was more than enough room there to stand and change while still having a large cooler on the floor inside the door. I had three large plastic totes of clothes, camping gear, and food in the storage bin underneath the mattress base and you could access that through a trap door from inside the camper. I spent an entire day in the camper during a torrential downpour and was comfortable and dry. Even at 6'2" and 250lbs I was not cramped for space.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #412
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
I do not know the owner of this rig but I spoke briefly with him in the campground at Barber Motorsports Park. He was camped next to me during the Vintage festival there a few years ago.

He built the Tear from some basic plans he got online. It is built on a Harbor Freight trailer base and the hitch point in integrated into his Texas Sidecar's frame. He was a fairly tall fellow at a bit over 6 foot and he said he had plenty of room for sleeping. If I recall correctly he kept the weight of the tear down by having a screen roof panel that is covered by the vinyl top that snaps on. I imagine that provides plenty of ventilation and great stargazing when the weather is nice.

It was all pulled by a 2nd Gen Suzuki Bandit 1200.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #413
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
http://www.livinlite.com/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #414
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
Actually it depends on the size and trim level of the RV. Some are still crank out, some are electric.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #415
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Someone talk me out of wanting this damn thing.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #416
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Someone talk me out of wanting this damn thing. ]
You NEED that. Aluminum is getting expensive. Yup, gotta buy it before the price goes up.
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #417
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
You NEED that. Aluminum is getting expensive. Yup, gotta buy it before the price goes up.
Thanks a bunch.

I don't know about "need", but it sure would be nice to have water, a microwave, and a WC for the Memorial Day camping trip. After only 2 years, I've had enough of a leaky airbed in my cargo trailer.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure

Nailhead screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 09:03 PM
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #418
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Quote:
Actually it depends on the size and trim level of the RV. Some are still crank out, some are electric.
yes i know.. you wanna see how slides are made ?? i will be elkhart every day next week... ohh wait the old damon world head quarters is right next where i sub contract out.. now they build forest river there..
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #419
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
I do not know the owner of this rig but I spoke briefly with him in the campground at Barber Motorsports Park. He was camped next to me during the Vintage festival there a few years ago.

He built the Tear from some basic plans he got online. It is built on a Harbor Freight trailer base and the hitch point in integrated into his Texas Sidecar's frame. He was a fairly tall fellow at a bit over 6 foot and he said he had plenty of room for sleeping. If I recall correctly he kept the weight of the tear down by having a screen roof panel that is covered by the vinyl top that snaps on. I imagine that provides plenty of ventilation and great stargazing when the weather is nice.

It was all pulled by a 2nd Gen Suzuki Bandit 1200.

I was always wondering how one could manage to enter and sleep in there...the door looks so small and the whole unit doesn't even seem to be 6' long.

Can someone teach me about it?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #420
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Someone talk me out of wanting this damn thing.

Hannda is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: