User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 131 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #436
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
So I've checked into rentals. It seems to rent a 16' travel trailer for a long weekend is about $500. That's not a big deal in and of itself. However I don't believe they are going to rent to me with the jeep, since I haven't found any rental place that has a trailer that is under the rated tow capacity and my jeep isn't equipped with the required brake controller and a few other things they require. I'm going to call and negotiate a bit, but I'm not very hopeful.

I'm not even going to consider buying anything unless I can experiment first.

Anyone here near Ohio want to rent me a 2000# travel trailer for a weekend?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #437
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,424
why don't we build you a trailer.
i probably could find one for you to try .

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #438
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
If you're determined to tow with your Jeep, at least spend a couple hundred dollars on a brake controller. Prodigy is a good brand.

Eric
I will if I know it's going to work out ok, but I don't want to waste the money on the brake controller if all it means is I wind up having to trade the jeep towards a pickup truck, that ironically will come with a brake controller.

if I didn't love the jeep so much and didn't have it 2/3 paid for I'd just trade it towards a truck. I'm tempted anyway because there are some smokin' deals out there, and believe it or not a full size chevy 4wd gets 15% better mileage than the rubicon. Unfortunately the truck wouldn't be nearly as fun in a place like Moab, or on a warm summer day at a beach.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #439
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
http://www.tentrax.com/
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #440
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King View Post
That looks like an off road version of the trailer I posted in the small trailer thread a few days ago.
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #441
WI-rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
...a pickup truck, that ironically will come with a brake controller.
What trucks come with brake controlers? Im out of the new truck loop for quite a few years now but at the time I was looking, none came with controlers (unless the truck was used and by chance it was in the truck but most time they are removed even if they were there at one time). Tow packages and plug ins for lights yes, brake controlers, no.

I was going to say the same as was said above, just buy the controler and try things out, you can always pull it out when/if you sell the Jeep. Its really not that big of an investment and considering you will be paying 5 bills to rent a trailer for a weekend, the controler pales in comparison. Not to mention, what if the first trailer you rent you dont like and you end up renting another one?
WI-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #442
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,424
almost any new truck will have integrated brake controller with a trailer tow package.
bueller i was serious about building you a trailer. i know of a cheap pop up camper pull the axle out from under it there are some tag frames at the one salavage place in elkhart. you may have 1500 in to it with some flooring
the pop up camper is 500 one of the small ones. needs some screen repaired from a mouse. but clean.
i am pretty sure the frames are 500... with double axles with brakes..
we can set the tongue wieght..

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________

seriousracer screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 03:46 PM
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #443
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
So I've checked into rentals. It seems to rent a 16' travel trailer for a long weekend is about $500. That's not a big deal in and of itself. However I don't believe they are going to rent to me with the jeep, since I haven't found any rental place that has a trailer that is under the rated tow capacity and my jeep isn't equipped with the required brake controller and a few other things they require. I'm going to call and negotiate a bit, but I'm not very hopeful.

I'm not even going to consider buying anything unless I can experiment first.

Anyone here near Ohio want to rent me a 2000# travel trailer for a weekend?

you can buy a good enough (timer based applicaion) for around $50. It will good enough to get you by with a light trailer. If you are hauling any distance on the interstate or very twisty and/or hilly roads I would go with a higher end controller. It makes the work load a lot less.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #444
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
almost any new truck will have integrated brake controller with a trailer tow package.
bueller i was serious about building you a trailer. i know of a cheap pop up camper pull the axle out from under it there are some tag frames at the one salavage place in elkhart. you may have 1500 in to it with some flooring
the pop up camper is 500 one of the small ones. needs some screen repaired from a mouse. but clean.
i am pretty sure the frames are 500... with double axles with brakes..
we can set the tongue wieght..
I really appreciate the offer. I used to be like you, but I'm getting quite lazy in my broken down middle age. I used to be all about fixing, building, and saving money doing it. An abdomen full of mesh, shredded elbow tendons, and a 65 year old skeleton in a 45 year old body really changes one's perspective (thank you auto business). Nowadays I'd rather spend my work time at work making money, because I'm good at that. Then I can simply show up and buy what I want. Don't get me wrong, I'll still work on stuff. But I have no interest whatsoever in building a camper, and I really don't want to pay someone to build a one-off. I'd rather buy something existing with a warranty.

Looks like my two best choices to tow with the jeep would be the K-Z sportsmen 16' toy hauler or the VRV 6' X 14'. The VRV is lighter and is a much better built unit, but costs a hell of a lot more, the interior isn't as nice, and is a foot narrower than the K-Z. If I decide at some point to off the jeep and do this with a truck instead, the weight issue won't be nearly as critical and I'd have a lot more choices.

Realistically if I want a toy hauler with full amenities getting rid of the jeep is the answer and I know that. I've just got to determine how much I really want to do this. If I want it bad enough I'll probably just go through the mourning process and sell the jeep.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:19 AM   #445
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Good luck and let me know how you like it. I hope to get one someday as well.
I got the go-ahead from Herself-- no objections to dealing with an overhead bunk, so in a couple of months...

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #446
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
If you're determined to tow with your Jeep, at least spend a couple hundred dollars on a brake controller. Prodigy is a good brand.

Eric
A couple hundred is top shelf, there are cheaper good quality ones.

Tekonsha is a good brand, also, and I wouldn't be surprised if a controller is plug-&-play in a Jeep (it was in my Dodge pickup).

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #447
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Realistically if I want a toy hauler with full amenities getting rid of the jeep is the answer and I know that. I've just got to determine how much I really want to do this. If I want it bad enough I'll probably just go through the mourning process and sell the jeep.
I thought about this again this morning. Fuck that. I still want to do some (mild) rock climbing in Moab and do a few other things with that jeep. It ain't gettin' sold. I'm going to call Livin' Lite and see if they offer a full wet bath option in their 6 X 14 toy hauler.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #448
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
you could sell the jeep and get a truck
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #449
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,013
I do have to agree about not selling toys you like. You'd just end up buying a replacement down the road.
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #450
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
you could sell the jeep and get a truck
Thank you captain obvious

Display Modes Rate This Thread