ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 194 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #646
interceptor4
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 36
Wittrrider Thanks for the review. Hope to have one next year.
interceptor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #647
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I
 
katbeanz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 7,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny-wolcott View Post
Still trying, but unsuccessful.

Followed the instructions, but......

Mud, Check your PMs
one too many http's, nice rig!
__________________
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #648
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
one too many http's, nice rig!
I removed an http and it still didn't work.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #649
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,635
We got a 7x16 a few months ago. LOVE IT. Look up "Bolt it on" for a bike tie down system.




Quote:
Originally Posted by wittrrider View Post
I got a call saying my VRV 614 sport is finally done
I am picking it up Monday.
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #650
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,635
Yep that rack system rocks! I can put a Ural and a Dr350 in mine or three bikes. Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittrrider View Post
Yup, got one before I picked up the trailer!
I works great, I can uninstall/install it in seconds, great product.
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #651
Rascus
The Realist
 
Rascus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Black Forest, CO
Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
Got three bikes on the pop up today....

How do you like that thing? I"m debating between the rockwood and the palomino version of this. Great to see you have 3 full size bikes on there.
__________________
Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't, wear your gear!
Dave
02 CR250. 03 CRF230, 07 TTR125
Rascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #652
Saltydog86
village idiot
 
Saltydog86's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hinckley/Wheaton Illinois
Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascus View Post
How do you like that thing? I"m debating between the rockwood and the palomino version of this. Great to see you have 3 full size bikes on there.
I love it! The benchwarmers on this forum will tell you its to much tongue weight, but....

I have pulled it over 7000 miles this year with my Jeep and besides a few passes in the mountains it pulls great. Having a bathroom, shower, heated mattress, hot water heater, gas grill, ect... is awesome. I paid $9500 with air for this unit at a fall sale the rv dealer was having (tax and stuff added a bit more). The first hour of your trip and the last hour are a hassle due to setting up the pop up and loading/unloading bikes. I looked at the Palomino online but could not find a dealer with one near me, that is why I went with the Rockwood.
Here is another pic of it :)
__________________
12 KTM 350 EXC-F
09 KLR 650
12 Genuine Stella w/Cozy Sidecar
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #653
Rascus
The Realist
 
Rascus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Black Forest, CO
Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I love it! The benchwarmers on this forum will tell you its to much tongue weight, but....

I have pulled it over 7000 miles this year with my Jeep and besides a few passes in the mountains it pulls great. Having a bathroom, shower, heated mattress, hot water heater, gas grill, ect... is awesome. I paid $9500 with air for this unit at a fall sale the rv dealer was having (tax and stuff added a bit more). The first hour of your trip and the last hour are a hassle due to setting up the pop up and loading/unloading bikes. I looked at the Palomino online but could not find a dealer with one near me, that is why I went with the Rockwood.
Here is another pic of it :)
Thanks for the info! 9500 is a steal! The 2012 Palomino B-3 which has a slide out is going for 14K. We intend to use it to take up into the mountains to extend our time out dirt biking. The camping thing didn't work out as well as we hoped and think this would be a great alternative. thanks again
__________________
Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't, wear your gear!
Dave
02 CR250. 03 CRF230, 07 TTR125
Rascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #654
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I love it! The benchwarmers on this forum will tell you its to much tongue weight, but....

I have pulled it over 7000 miles this year with my Jeep and besides a few passes in the mountains it pulls great. Having a bathroom, shower, heated mattress, hot water heater, gas grill, ect... is awesome. I paid $9500 with air for this unit at a fall sale the rv dealer was having (tax and stuff added a bit more). The first hour of your trip and the last hour are a hassle due to setting up the pop up and loading/unloading bikes. I looked at the Palomino online but could not find a dealer with one near me, that is why I went with the Rockwood.
Here is another pic of it :)
I like these, and understand your reasoning... even though my mid-sized pickup couldn't tow it. The highlighted is why I'd rule these out. My #1 thing against camping night after night isn't the sleeping on the ground. It is camp set up/tear down. These would work for if you are travelling to one spot and setting up. But if it is a multi-day/multi-camp trip.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #655
Saltydog86
village idiot
 
Saltydog86's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hinckley/Wheaton Illinois
Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I like these, and understand your reasoning... even though my mid-sized pickup couldn't tow it. The highlighted is why I'd rule these out. My #1 thing against camping night after night isn't the sleeping on the ground. It is camp set up/tear down. These would work for if you are travelling to one spot and setting up. But if it is a multi-day/multi-camp trip.
I won't hook it up unless I am staying someplace at least 3 nights. When we travel to Colorado we use a hotel on the way to avoid loosing so much time setting it up.

This does have the slide to compare to the Palomino....helps make the inside feel much larger.
__________________
12 KTM 350 EXC-F
09 KLR 650
12 Genuine Stella w/Cozy Sidecar
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #656
Rascus
The Realist
 
Rascus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Black Forest, CO
Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I won't hook it up unless I am staying someplace at least 3 nights. When we travel to Colorado we use a hotel on the way to avoid loosing so much time setting it up.

This does have the slide to compare to the Palomino....helps make the inside feel much larger.
Very nice, if all goes well I'll be bringing home the Palomino this weekend.

What are you using to pull it?
__________________
Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't, wear your gear!
Dave
02 CR250. 03 CRF230, 07 TTR125
Rascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #657
Saltydog86
village idiot
 
Saltydog86's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Hinckley/Wheaton Illinois
Oddometer: 981
I pull it with a Jeep Liberty diesel, I have a lift with stiffer springs/shocks and Airlift bags in the rear. Getting 18-20 mpg pulling it with this setup. If I was to buy a new truck I think a Tacoma would be a good match for it.
__________________
12 KTM 350 EXC-F
09 KLR 650
12 Genuine Stella w/Cozy Sidecar
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #658
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tbonestone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago-suburbs
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodwick View Post



I know I'm nuts, but I like this. I wonder how it'd tow behind a Honda Ruckus.
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #659
discochris
Beastly Adventurer
 
discochris's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,232
Hmm, now I'm following this thread. Got a seed planted in my brain this weekend to start looking for a smallish camper trailer for cheap.

We have a 2 bedroom cabin in Northern Wisconsin on 8 acres, which is great for my wife and I, but we have Disco Jr. on the way. Now, the second bedroom will become his room at the cabin, which will make it difficult to have friends up, or in the ensuing years, if he has friends up. We don't want to put a bunch of money into adding onto the cabin, because I'm not sure it's structurally stable enough to do so, and because eventually, we'll probably tear it down and rebuild on the lot. (cosmetically, it's nice, but there are some issues). Since we won't have that kind of money for a while, I'm considering picking up a cheap camper trailer to use as a de facto third bedroom. I could gut the thing and make it kind of retro cool inside, since we wouldn't be towing it much. Probably get rid of the kitchen too if there was one and make the whole thing a sleeping area. There are a number of cabins up there with the same set up. I don't want a popup, because of concerns with mildew (say it rained Saturday night, and we had to leave Sunday, I couldn't dry it out). At the same time, we might want to take it for the odd weekend somewhere.

Anything I should or shouldn't look for? There are some cheap old campers on Craigslist for $500-$1000 that are in rough shape. I don't mind a challenge, but I don't want something that's completely rotten...
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #660
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
SgtDuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
We have a 2 bedroom cabin in Northern Wisconsin on 8 acres, which is great for my wife and I, but we have Disco Jr. on the way. Now, the second bedroom will become his room at the cabin, which will make it difficult to have friends up, or in the ensuing years, if he has friends up.
Let the friends bring their own trailer, really. You have enough room for your own family for now and like you said, you will probably build another cabin later.
__________________
2010 Buell Ulysses
1984 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter"
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014