Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 229 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #661
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
Anything I should or shouldn't look for? There are some cheap old campers on Craigslist for $500-$1000 that are in rough shape. I don't mind a challenge, but I don't want something that's completely rotten...

Campers require maintainence just like, if not more than a house. Add to that you do not go in them when you are not using them and you see why little problems become big problems.

Kids are fine sleeping on a pad on the floor and as they get older can be moved to a tent in the yard or a cot on the porch. Cabins are supposed to be cozy. Spend your time relaxing, or riding your motorcycle, not trying to rebuild something that has little or no return on your investment that you will not even use.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #662
Rascus
The Realist

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I pull it with a Jeep Liberty diesel, I have a lift with stiffer springs/shocks and Airlift bags in the rear. Getting 18-20 mpg pulling it with this setup. If I was to buy a new truck I think a Tacoma would be a good match for it.
I have a ford sporttrac that I'll be pulling mine with. And thursday I'll be picking this up.

Rascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #663
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
Hmm, now I'm following this thread. Got a seed planted in my brain this weekend to start looking for a smallish camper trailer for cheap.

We have a 2 bedroom cabin in Northern Wisconsin on 8 acres, which is great for my wife and I, but we have Disco Jr. on the way. Now, the second bedroom will become his room at the cabin, which will make it difficult to have friends up, or in the ensuing years, if he has friends up. We don't want to put a bunch of money into adding onto the cabin, because I'm not sure it's structurally stable enough to do so, and because eventually, we'll probably tear it down and rebuild on the lot. (cosmetically, it's nice, but there are some issues). Since we won't have that kind of money for a while, I'm considering picking up a cheap camper trailer to use as a de facto third bedroom. I could gut the thing and make it kind of retro cool inside, since we wouldn't be towing it much. Probably get rid of the kitchen too if there was one and make the whole thing a sleeping area. There are a number of cabins up there with the same set up. I don't want a popup, because of concerns with mildew (say it rained Saturday night, and we had to leave Sunday, I couldn't dry it out). At the same time, we might want to take it for the odd weekend somewhere.

Anything I should or shouldn't look for? There are some cheap old campers on Craigslist for $500-$1000 that are in rough shape. I don't mind a challenge, but I don't want something that's completely rotten...
If you're willing to invest a little more, several companies make cabin/shed kits that will likely last longer and look a whole hell of a lot better than the trailer will. You can buy a bare bones shell, and outfit it yourself. You could put it close to your existing house. If you aren't going to have guests for a while, leave it closed up. As Jr. grows up, let him have the cabin, and your guests can stay in the main house.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #664
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
If you're willing to invest a little more, several companies make cabin/shed kits that will likely last longer and look a whole hell of a lot better than the trailer will. You can buy a bare bones shell, and outfit it yourself. You could put it close to your existing house. If you aren't going to have guests for a while, leave it closed up. As Jr. grows up, let him have the cabin, and your guests can stay in the main house.
I like this idea, maybe with a shared large deck?

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #665
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,821
I think this is the way to go. I built a 8x12 shed for about $1500-$1800 fully finished outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I like this idea, maybe with a shared large deck?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #666
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
We previously owned an Apache Ramada folding hardside camper trailer when our kids were younger. Fast forward to this summer and the kids are gone from the house and we regained the desire to have a camp trailer and we found this 11' Starcraft for little money, but in very nice condition.

It's got a queen bed up front, a twin bed in the rear and a twin bed using the dinette, refrigerator, heater, sink and cold water, 110/12v lighting, awning, and a cookstove that works inside and outside. While there is no toilet, we are fine with that. It's being towed by an F250 4x4 crewcab (overkill I know). It sets up easy, tows well, and fits our version of camping.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #667
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Tuff Shed has several small / cheap pre-fab type cabin kits, some single room with little porches on the front for under $5k. Will last way longer than the camper would.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #668
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Something like this ; look kinda cool too Looks like a 10x20 for about $6k. Not to digress from trailers and such

Designed with the weekend recreationalist in mind, the Premier PRO Weekender Barn is surprisingly affordable and can be finished on the interior by the customer to create a more liveable space. This building includes a steel service door, two 3'x3' windows, LP TechShield radiant barrier roof decking, 30-Year Owens Corning dimensional shingles, a front porch with overhang and can accommodate any of our standard options.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #669
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Something like this ; look kinda cool too Looks like a 10x20 for about $6k. Not to digress from trailers and such

Designed with the weekend recreationalist in mind, the Premier PRO Weekender Barn is surprisingly affordable and can be finished on the interior by the customer to create a more liveable space. This building includes a steel service door, two 3'x3' windows, LP TechShield radiant barrier roof decking, 30-Year Owens Corning dimensional shingles, a front porch with overhang and can accommodate any of our standard options.

Ya know, they make wheels for 'em? http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/fencl/
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #670
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
Forgive me if this is 205, but I thought it was cool...

http://www.gizmag.com/sealander-amph...-camper/19798/

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #671
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,576
Oooo la la
http://www.innovan.com.au/index.php
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #672
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Those are cool!!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #673
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Forgive me if this is 205, but I thought it was cool...

http://www.gizmag.com/sealander-amph...-camper/19798/

I think that's the answer to a question nobody asked.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #674
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,153
I want one of these old school boat/campers

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #675
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
I'm betting the roof is water-tight, even in the worst of storms!

I saw one of those a few years back, in working condition. Pretty neat little package.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: