User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #76
trxcr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
JR Greenhorn, it's a Carson Rebel (14ft) I would say 3 dirtbikes max.
trxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #77
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
Spent too much time on the manufacturer's website. I really like your set up. Downsides seem to be as you say, no retreat to the trailer (bugs/weather) unless you are laying down.

But I camp to be out, not in...

How hot does I get in HOT weather.

Has anyone put some solar cells on to boost the electrics?
Yep, we have done mostly temperate weather camping, but we have the 'Fantastic Fan' that runs for days off the battery and actually moves a TON of air - so if you can open the windows and the hatch a bit you are good [and you can close the back and move the easy up to cover the entire trailer!] for some ventilation unless it's pouring.

IF we have AC at the campsite [don't laugh, we found a LOT of the state camps in the south have power if not water], we have an 8,000 BTU A/C unit built in. It works pretty well, and if you need it, it's worth having.

As to retreat: Ours is the 560 which has the 'couch', but it's not convenient by any means. But with the bug screens and fans, if the bugs outside are horrible, you have a refuge - the only place we found it necessary to fully retreat was north of Fairbanks, AK.

I have put about 15 watts of solar panel on the roof and borrowed a 35 watt panel for a summer trip. I have the 72 amp/hour battery, which would be hard to drain unless you really work at it. The on-board battery charges from the Car when driving [assuming you wire the car to do so], plus any time you plug into 120 volts you both run and recharge. The 120 is only needed for the A/C so with onboard water, dry camping is not impossible. If we KNOW we are dry camping we carry an extra 5 gallon jerry can of water, and when camped we use that to tanker water in.

I know I come acrss as an intolerable booster, but I spent two months plus living in this camper two summers ago and the wife and I found about two minor nits - so minor we forgot them. It's a very thoughtful design that requires the owner to simply determine what level of finish they want and what they want in the kitchen.

The ability to carry a complete, ready to use kitchen makes cooking and cleaning such an easy thing that we can prepare reasonably healthy meals - the only thing we lack is an oven...and we bought a folding Coleman oven which, well, it works but it takes up both burners - we have only used it twice - we keep an active look out for stove top recipies and have a nice big file.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #78
adakrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
I got this last spring but with my new job I won't be using it much for a few years. May be for sale to the right buyer. I live in Colorado.... We had a popup for several years and hated it: problem in the wind, had to disconnect from car in order to open it. The little hard sided campers rock. No bathroom (porta potty), sink, stove, fridge (never used), heat, and ceiling fan. Double bed is also the dining table. Quaint.

1982 Burro. 13' long, 10' body. Weight right about 1000 lbs. Can't even feel it on a Subaru.

Tom

Love the egg campers . I was just telling dragoon this weekend at our annual ohio wrench fest that i was looking for a egg camper. Was looking at slide in truck campers, but the towables would be more versatile for me as i could load the bike in the truck and still use the truck for gear etc.
If you still plan on selling it would you please add me to the list as it seems you have to camp out on craigslist to grab one. They go fast. Plus it would give me a reason to visit my brother in Ft Collins.
adakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #79
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,543
New: r-pod

Sister Mary just purchased her brand new r-pod:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...hoice=brochure

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #80
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,349
I've looked at r-pods, they're pretty slick.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #81
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
Nice makeover:

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1635213400.html
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #82
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Those little hyperlite trailers are pretty cool and look a lot more cost effective then the Airstream.

I'm with Klay even at 14K that's a bunch of cash and I didn't see an option for a generator or generator compartment, no mention of hook ups either. No interior pictures on that web site either.

Oops I missed a couple pages of the web site.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.

Wylie screwed with this post 03-09-2010 at 09:10 PM
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #83
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,900
Nice peeps, I am liking that this thread has at least some legs. Now if you have one, what do you like/dislike-- what would you change???

from one of the links, I want the whole sha-bang

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 03-09-2010 at 09:19 PM
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #84
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Like the Ranchero!

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #85
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
Like the Ranchero!
That's what I thought, a Ranchero with a classic little trailer.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #86
RedRocker
Native Texican

I like these, perfect layout for us, bed, shower, potty, small kitchen.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #87
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
Those little hyperlite trailers are pretty cool and look a lot more cost effective then the Airstream.

I'm with Klay even at 14K that's a bunch of cash and I didn't see an option for a generator or generator compartment, no mention of hook ups either. No interior pictures on that web site either.

Oops I missed a couple pages of the web site.
IF I were in the market for a 'full-service' trailer - stand up with bath, I'd probably lay the cash down on an Airstream - they just seem to be the most durable, although you get mad space into those gooseneck trailers, you lose the bed of the truck.

But the only way I would get something that large would be to live in it for a longer time than say a summer, because personally, I'm unable to justify a big tow vehicle for the rest of my life.

These smaller units are ideal for most users unless you must simply bring your entire house with you. I saw people in Alaska never get out of their monster RV's except to hook up the utilities. That's not my style [yet anyway].

Someone who has a dual purpose tell me, do you notice the fuel/oil smell after you are at the campsite? I'm just curious as to how you mangage that - it seems to be the only potential downside to the multi-purpose haulers.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #88
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely
IF I were in the market for a 'full-service' trailer - stand up with bath, I'd probably lay the cash down on an Airstream - they just seem to be the most durable, although you get mad space into those gooseneck trailers, you lose the bed of the truck.

But the only way I would get something that large would be to live in it for a longer time than say a summer, because personally, I'm unable to justify a big tow vehicle for the rest of my life.

These smaller units are ideal for most users unless you must simply bring your entire house with you. I saw people in Alaska never get out of their monster RV's except to hook up the utilities. That's not my style [yet anyway].

Someone who has a dual purpose tell me, do you notice the fuel/oil smell after you are at the campsite? I'm just curious as to how you mangage that - it seems to be the only potential downside to the multi-purpose haulers.
Only if you spill some gas but it goes away pretty quick.
Bob
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #89
RedRocker
Native Texican

I had a goose neck where their wasn't a wall separating the living area from the garage area and I never had a smell problem. It made for a shorter rig
but a little more utilitarian than RVish.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #90
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
That picture really makes me want one.

Stop posting it.
+1

Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread