Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #976
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Between a hardwalled trailer and one that has those fabric panels, is the hardwalled trailer noticeably more comfortable during hot hot weather or cold cold weather? (I'm assuming the use of an AC/heater in both scenarios).
we are a hardwalled family...

we have neither ac or heater
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #977
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post
We go back and forth (overandoverandover) between small van sized RV and a small travel trailer. Love the Casitas, especially the Liberty Delux! Any suggestions where to look at used ones besides the club forum?
search tempest
and be prepared to pull the trigger fast
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #978
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
THE 2012 10th ANNUAL OREGON GATHERING
AT BULLARD'S BEACH STATE PARK IN BANDON, OREGON
JULY 12th - 15th, 2012

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...g-information/
A fellow inmate was asking me about this rally, so I thought I'd repost this info in case anyone else would like to stop by and check this gathering out for themselves.

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #979
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Yeah, love these things. I got a Casita after much consideration of different models.

Does your dad-in-law's have a head?
I believe it does, with a shower as well. Its been a while since I hae been in it though.
XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #980
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
Man there're some interesting alternatives to the teardrops out there. Check out the Chalet XL 1930 Travel Trailer with dormer...

Man that's an oddball, but for a family of four (or two), it seems to hit alot of the things I'm looking for. It literally sets up & takes down in 30 seconds! And I'm pretty confident my 100lb SO could do it herself! Footprint is obvously way smaller than the TrailManor. But it's 6'8" under that dormer, which makes it more functional than the a-frame "I'm-impersonating-a-tent" arrangement would lead you to beleive.

It's tight for 4. You lose the 2nd set of permanent beds, so the kids have to wake the hell up if you want breakfast indoors. That's pretty much par for the course on anything that fits in a garage, it seems. But on the whole, if I can live with the footprint, it looks well thought out. I really like the huge windows, the (modestly) insulated walls. I'm curious about build quality, though. It isn't susceptible to the mold deterioration like fabric pop-ups. But if those panels are chip-board, that's all going to suck after a few years of neglect.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #981
Patrick46
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Man there're some interesting alternatives to the teardrops out there. Check out the Chalet XL 1930 Travel Trailer with dormer...

I'm curious about build quality, though. It isn't susceptible to the mold deterioration like fabric pop-ups. But if those panels are chip-board, that's all going to suck after a few years of neglect.
That looks like a neat idea!!

As for the 'chip-board' panels delaminating or coming apart...my bet is that this is built with some of the new plastic composite panels so many builders are switching to.

They're lighter, tougher, cheaper, and they last a lifetime!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #982
Patrick46
visionary

OK all you fans of the small fiberglass eggs...

here's just a 'snippet' of a few of the 102 rigs that showed up for the...
THE 2012 10th ANNUAL OREGON FIBERGLASS CAMPERS GATHERING

I came outta the hardware store on Thursday, and there was a Casita in the parking lot, so I mentioned to the owner that we were considering one of the rigs for ourselves. The topic of the 'Fiberglass Camper Meet' came up, and he said we autta head down on Saturday afternoon, as they hold an 'open house', where everyone opens up their campers for others to check out. Perfect for perspective owners to look at all the different makes and models for themselves...not to mention folks can show off thier own personel 'mods' they've done to their campers too.

Being a customizer by profession and passion...I, of couse, really enjoyed the way some folks modfiyed their campers to meet their own likes and needs. Unfortunately, though, most of the campers were basically they way they were bought, altho some had very inventive ways to increase storage capacity.
There was a Scamp 5th wheel that the owner had done some pretty extensive customizing to the interior layout, with all new cabinetry and a changed floorplan. He was very creative with his ideas, and very skilled at his work.

Of course, many of the campers were decorated in vintage campsite arrangements, and were all dolled up with matching pillowcases, curtains, dished and tablecloths...by the owners, (ie....wives!!)

Casitas were by far the most popular rigs there...

My wife and I both agreed that the Casita had more of what we were looking for, including wider bodies, and their showers were much bigger that most of the others.

there were alotta Scamps there as well...

here's an interior shot of one...

There were alot of different makes represented. Escape even had factory reps on hand (I'm told).
There were a bunchof fiberglass campers from makes that I'd never even heard of before on hand.

Sadly, I got so into looking at the campers, and visiting with the owners, that I didn't take very many photos, and I shouldda taken some notes too...especially on the names of some of the vintage rigs that were there.

ah well...I'll be back next year.

Patrick46 screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 09:00 PM
Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #983
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,070
Great report Patrick!

We spent a lot of time talking about Casitas yesterday, loved seeing them "in the wild" in your pics.
Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #984
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Escape even had factory reps on hand (I'm told).
Probably the owners: Reese and Tammy. Escape is a family-run business that started from scratch and they've built it by going to these rallies and through word of mouth. Great people.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #985
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,152
Quote:
OK all you fans of the small fiberglass eggs...

here's just a 'snippet' of a few of the 102 rigs that showed up for the...
THE 2012 10th ANNUAL OREGON FIBERGLASS CAMPERS GATHERING
A link to the rest of the pics????
Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #986
Patrick46
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard cabesa View Post
A link to the rest of the pics????
what you see is what I gots!!

........sorry.

told ya I didn't take much!

Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #987
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,056
See any Burros there?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #988
Patrick46
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
See any Burros there?
Yeah...there were several in attendance
actually, I think that interior photo may have been from one. ^^^

We didn't go through the entire assembly of campers, as not only were there so darn many, but they got kinda the same after awhile. I'm sure we probably missed out on some neat stuff, but after going through about 20 of 'em, you pretty much get the idea of what they are and have to offer.....and that's why we went.

After alot of looking at different ideas and types of campers, motorhomes, toyhaulers, and conversions... I think we're gonna end up building a 6' x 12' cargo trailer into our own version of a utility toy hauler/camper...

...along these lines (but with our own twist of course!)

Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #989
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,475
I pulled the trigger and bought a Microlite Vymeron back in April. Pulled home with absolutely no problems other than it's so light that the wind was an issue. Page forward to June, let's try this baby out. Loaded the GS and some more stuff in the trailer. Most everything else went in the truck bed. Pulled for 5 miles, nice smooth road and the tongue breaks off. WTF. Slowed truck and let trailer run into back of truck. No harm to the truck and it saved the trailer.

The Microlite people washed their hands of this saying I had bought the trailer used and it appears that the tongue
was overloaded, not by me but by the previous owner. I asked for details and specifications of the newer Vymerons (the tongue is shorter on the newer models) but I get no response. Caveat emptor.........
Looking at the break it appears to me and my engineering friend that the heat from the weld weakened the aluminum, that and the fact that it is a little long.
I've fixed the tongue and am taking the trailer to a repair station to get the sheet metal straightened out.
I sleeved the tongue with steel and bolted. I am taking it to a friend who does TIG welding to weld it back together.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #990
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,454
Holy Shit! There's no end to the bad conclusions that could have happened with that deal.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: