Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
And so it begins......
What do you have in mind for that?
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #1217
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,783
This looks like the same unit we have...

Only with flat top fenders.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #1218
Laconic
Anodyne

Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #1219
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
That Vdub is kinda cool. I just got back from a trip to Ireland and there were tons of theose T5 Transporters over there and I was jealous as hell we don't get them. They would make a great ADV van (on road only) for weekend trips and were nicely sized to make a decent utility vehicle for work. Oh yeah, most were diesel so a big help in the fueling dept.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #1220
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post

Have you looked into roll out awnings for the outside? Seems like that would be a handy way to shelter the kitchen.

We already have an easy up and that has worked pretty well. We had a Scamp years ago that I made a setup to use a regular tarp in the awning track that worked very well and was super cheap. I took a piece of flat webbing and made a short loop with a knot on the end. Feed the loop through the eye on a tarp and insert a clevis pin in the loop and feed the loop/clevis pin into the awning track. It was really simple and I had less than $15 in it including the tarp.

We started with a Scamp when we had an infant and 2 year old and then moved up to a Sunline 21' as the boys got older. It was great, slept 6 and we could go to the beach, bring the grandparents, etc. Then I found a deal on an Airstream motorhome and we bought it. I hated it. We sold it after a year and bought the spring bar tent and have been using one of my box trailers from work. I really like that setup, we just needed more room. Oh and air conditioning for a beach trip in the summer....

It is a good compromise for everyone. Rafts, kayaks, bikes, motorcycles; anything can go in a box trailer. Usually we wind up at forest service campsites when we are family camping so having a bathroom is not an issue.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #1221
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Too bad we'll never see these here in the US. These would be very cool for 2 adults to travel in. Put a decent trailer hitch on it to carry the bikes and head to the hills. I wonder how hard it would be to do something similar to a high roof Nissan or Sprinter.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #1222
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:

Only with flat top fenders.
well....that's not mine, (just a pic off the webski)....but this is the type of cargo trailer we're gonna get. (really like to find a V-nose Wells Cargo)

and as for the mods I'm gonna do, an outside fold-down kitchen is what I've got in mind. Ever cook fish in a small camper????
A clamshell box mounted on the passenger wall, that folds out to provide an awning cover plus a kitchen work table. Our E-Z-Up will fit over all of it nicely.

Outside kitchen keeps the smells outside, and also keeps the heat out of the trailer when cooking in the summertyme.

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #1223
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
We already have an easy up and that has worked pretty well. We had a Scamp years ago that I made a setup to use a regular tarp in the awning track that worked very well and was super cheap. I took a piece of flat webbing and made a short loop with a knot on the end. Feed the loop through the eye on a tarp and insert a clevis pin in the loop and feed the loop/clevis pin into the awning track. It was really simple and I had less than $15 in it including the tarp.

We started with a Scamp when we had an infant and 2 year old and then moved up to a Sunline 21' as the boys got older. It was great, slept 6 and we could go to the beach, bring the grandparents, etc. Then I found a deal on an Airstream motorhome and we bought it. I hated it. We sold it after a year and bought the spring bar tent and have been using one of my box trailers from work. I really like that setup, we just needed more room. Oh and air conditioning for a beach trip in the summer....

It is a good compromise for everyone. Rafts, kayaks, bikes, motorcycles; anything can go in a box trailer. Usually we wind up at forest service campsites when we are family camping so having a bathroom is not an issue.
I'm developing a serious interest in the Springbar tent. I already have a utility trailer that would haul the tent, kids' bike, and tons of other crap. My tow vehicle is an $800 Volvo 740 wagon, so I don't really want to push the towing capacity to the limit (and it gives a hint about my budget. ) I would think the Springbar would be a bit less convenient than a pop-up trailer, but for the same money, I'd be looking at some fairly ugly trailers. Looks like the long-term durability would be hard to beat, too.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #1224
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
well....that's not mine, (just a pic off the webski)....but this is the type of cargo trailer we're gonna get. (really like to find a V-nose Wells Cargo)

and as for the mods I'm gonna do, an outside fold-down kitchen is what I've got in mind. Ever cook fish in a small camper????
A clamshell box mounted on the passenger wall, that folds out to provide an awning cover plus a kitchen work table. Our E-Z-Up will fit over all of it nicely.

Outside kitchen keeps the smells outside, and also keeps the heat out of the trailer when cooking in the summertyme.
You may have already seen it, but I think someone has done just that on the side of a cargo trailer, and it's in this thread somewhere.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #1225
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

I did a lot of research on tents before I sprung for the Springbar....

It goes up pretty fast and can be done alone, although it is much easier with two people. The amount of room inside is amazing. Since the sides are near vertical all the room is usable. Here is our camp setup this past summer.

The disadvantage is you need a large level space since it is a big tent but most campsites that we stay at have tent pads.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #1226
Laconic
Anodyne

Quote:
I did a lot of research on tents before I sprung for the Springbar....

It goes up pretty fast and can be done alone, although it is much easier with two people. The amount of room inside is amazing. Since the sides are near vertical all the room is usable. Here is our camp setup this past summer.

The disadvantage is you need a large level space since it is a big tent but most campsites that we stay at have tent pads.
That looks luxurious. How long do you typically stay when you set up like that?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #1227
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Quote:
That looks luxurious. How long do you typically stay when you set up like that?
Thurs-Monday is the norm. We try and do a couple new areas a year. Base camp and explore the area for a few days. This year we did not get out much due to my dads failing health. I am hoping next year we will camp a lot more.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #1228
Laconic
Anodyne

Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #1229
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCeeGS View Post
I'm developing a serious interest in the Springbar tent. I would think the Springbar would be a bit less convenient than a pop-up trailer, but for the same money, I'd be looking at some fairly ugly trailers. Looks like the long-term durability would be hard to beat, too.
I have a Springbar Outfitter 3 for solo camping, truck or motorcycle. Kodiak 10'x10' model 6010 Flex-Bow canvas tent for luxury camping. Kodiak Flex-Bow and Springbar tents are very similar, Springbar is made in U.S.A. and that is a big plus for me. Setup is the same for both tents, sleeping under canvas in a well made tent is comfortable camping.

Kodiak 10'x10' model 6010 canvas tent

Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas tent 7'x8'

YouTube Channel
MotoVlog

flipr screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 12:44 PM Reason: Add Springbar Outfitter 3 picture
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #1230
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:

Interior style is "subway car"...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: