Originally Posted by RomaDakota
This is NOT a crappy picture!
Nice thread.
ghedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #47
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
You said I could barge in here with info on my build.... here's my heads before.

And here's after a couple evenings of cleanup:

I used to think that Briggs & Stratton's castings for their 5hp flatties were crude. But my eyes have been opened, and horizons broadened.

Polished heads, an old hotrodder trick, should at least: make carbon deposits easier to remove; eliminate hotspots that may cause detonation; and smooth flow into / within the combustion area. This is probably not a perfect job- but it is much better than what Ivan gave me. Notice the differences between the two heads- particularly above /within the sparkplug holes. Nice and balanced, right?

I'll get you pics of my leaky dneprmatic- its the autoclutch rod that's giving me the most leaking. Its like there's olestra in my tranny oil or something.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #48
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,390
Mark - the heads look good! I'll have to give mine the look over once I get to that point. The leaky autoclutch shaft is straight forward and quick. Although it will never be a 100% seal; just a lonely o-ring behind the retainer plate.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #49
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Last night the rebuilt began. With the bearings and seal procured, the crank can go in! Taking some measurements and preping the rear cover prior to bearing and seal installation. Here I am using a bit of safety wire to check oil routes for blockage.

The bearing went into the rear case too easy for my liking so out it came and re-installed with bearing retainer. Rear seal installed as well. Pressing the front bearing into it’s cage went fine. Inspected the crank and backed out the screws attaching the oil slingers and reinstalled with loctite.
Not some time for the retainer to cure prior to installing the crank.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #50
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Where was I?? Oh just a few screws before this…

Yep, that is what you get for buying a bike unseen. You know... I was riding along today thinking about this very thing. All bikes I own were bought sight unseen – SICK.

Anyway, here is a shot of the gear tower I mentioned in the last entry. The timed breather is dangling on the front of the cam. This is a shot of a different engine. Kinda crappy photo.

Here is a vid of the actual inside front cover with the breather sitting in it’s cavity. You will notice a hole that corresponds to an alignment pin on the cam gear. You can see the hole is a bit elongated. And…
27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
The positive.. the rattle-noise has been firmly located. The pin/elongated hole is fairly easy to fix by drilling out round and using a gauge drill bit that with some chilling in the freezer and tapping will be secured in the gear and matching the same size in the breather. The movement in the front case is another issue altogether. I had another lying around, so I swapped front cases. Maybe later, I will look into possibly machining it out and inserting a bronze bushing or something. Shame to bin it as it is original with a possible date of manufacture.

MeRide – generally, it is impossible to determine DOM for a Soviet bike. I have several and there are methods people use, however this is the first time I have seen any evidence I feel is concrete.

During the fix, more orange RTV noted, missing safety wire and a missing fold-over washer on the crank gear. This is a snap after I remedied these issues.

All of this is a-making me nervous; voices in my head saying you are going to have to take this entire thing apart. I try to ignore and carry on…
i know you are speaking in english,but it might as well be russian to me .i'm impressed with all of the mechanical skills and knowledge exhibited here in old school.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #51
Bloo
Jack Russel Dodger

Oddometer: 97
Thumb

WHat a cool thread. I was taking a 15 min break at work and I have not gotten anything done for the last hour I have been curious about these russian bikes. I am completely hooked please keep it coming.
Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #52
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,410

...I love this stuff....

what kind of metallurgy is that?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #53
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg

...I love this stuff....

what kind of metallurgy is that?

Well, most likely, recycled vodka bottle caps. Possibly a few leftover parts from Sputnik as well.

I have already determined that quikserts and helicoils will be the commiebike rebuilder's best friend.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #54
Berck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Hey now, Grolsch is Dutch, not Soviet!
Berck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #55
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Found one in Colorado

Roma:

Saw this on my weekly CL lurk. Near Denver. Has a pic. Looks like a black model, not military. In case you need another...

Dnepr MT-11 Sidecar Motorcycle - $4800 (Lafayette)

Dnepr motorcycle and sidecar in running condition with many extra parts. These bikes offer a unique experience but require a fair amount of attention. Too much for me, so I'm offering this one for sale. BMW badges and titled as a kit bike. Call or e-mail for additional pictures and information.

Doug
303-489-0417

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1632208723.html

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #56
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berck
Hey now, Grolsch is Dutch, not Soviet!
FIXED!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #57
Berck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Okay, *now* I'm impressed! You, sir, are awesome.
Berck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #58
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Work is crazy, but I have a few minutes before I have to report home… time to wrench!
Putting the crank in the case is fun. Bring the rods together and do a back flip – crank in the case then spread her wings!

A bit o assembly lube and slide the front bearing cage in place.

Front bearing cover in place, note the little tube to the left. Once the front bearing is filled with oil from the pathetic pressure supplied by the pump, the cavity fills and this tube directs oil to the crank gear – then to the cam gear – to the genny gear much like those oil additive demos at the parts store counter. This tube is just flared in place so I added a bit of bearing retainer to hold it in place.

Rear case with bearing and a new gasket. Gasket kits available, no problem.

Rear case in place after a slow tightening sequence. Note the rear cam bushing. I pressed this one in the case a week or so ago. There is a hole inside that allows for oiling. There is a small "shelf" inside the case that collects oil and then drains though this hole to lube the rear support for the cam.
I will have to re-work a few bolts as they have been swapped over time. No holes for safety wire so I will have to drill the holes or scrounge some bolts. I like to drill.

Crank in.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #59
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Beer

I like the "Premium" beer. Nice Cyrillic lettering to spell an English word.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #60
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
I like the "Premium" beer. Nice Cyrillic lettering to spell an English word.
T.
Ukrainian throws me off... but the пиво, очень хорошо!

Tom - that Dnepr in CO is about 2x too much being a kit bike. I am sure the owner may have that much in it, however only a factory bike (one not assembled from reject parts) is worth that much. Many factory Dneprs out there, just need to know how the tell them apart - that is difficult. Kit bikes have given Dneprs a bad name. Plus I don't need any more basket cases