Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,462
Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #62
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,401
Pissed

B U L L O C K S ! ! ! !

Decided to use the good camera today while I installed the cam. None, repeat none of the photos made it to the camera. Not on internal memory or on the SD.

Well, bearing pressed onto cam. Cam installed. New stainless steel screws for cam retainer.

When I tightened the bolts on the crank retainer, one head broke off. Luckily there was enough material to grasp with the tool-o-evil, vice grips. Bolt backed out, new bolt installed and safety wired the assembly.

Maybe some postmortem photos tomorrow when the front gears get pressed on...
Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #63
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Sneaked out today. Snapped some photos in attempt to recover from the lack of photos from the last session. Here is the front of the engine with the cam and crank installed including the crank cage with front cover with the gear oiler visible.

The bolt that sheared off under torque; looks like the safety wire hole compromised the head over time.

Rear of the engine with cover and bolts safety wired.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
Here is the old cam. Note the groves., and the bearing…

RomaDakota screwed with this post 03-14-2010 at 09:32 PM
RomaDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #64
arcticIndian
indian rider

Oddometer: 239
thx for posting the pictures!

I'm in progress of rebuilding a K-750, so reference pictures is nice to have.
Had to rebuild almost everything.. doubling the purchase price (still less than $2000 total though:) New crank, bearings, oversize pistons, bolts, valves, enddrive internals etc etc...
The old russian bolts were crap.. and also some of the new chinese stuff is also questionable. But I think (hope..) it will work out ok.
Hope to start it this week. Worked on the topend in the weekend. And finally go the bike back on it's wheels. Now with a sidestand, the sidecar is not ready painted yet.

Some of the things will be changed later, no reverse gearbox or 2wd this year..
The "Chief bluesmoke" do Iceland :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263338&highlight=bluesmoke
arcticIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #65
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
How did these bikes typically get out of the USSR back then?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #66
arcticIndian
indian rider

From what I've heard, most of the bikes came here (Norway) from the Baltic states( Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia) after they split from the Soviet union.
Truck drivers carrying other goods would buy bikes very cheap and bring them back to the western European countries. I would guess the bikes would be in the hands by farmers etc by then.
I found some bluegreen color under the black on the sidecar, I believe this was for the police.
Some probably started importing the bikes more professionally also..
Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #67
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,358
Man it's like they made it with a hammer and torch.

Thanks for posting up this beauty.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #68
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Roma-

What's your feelings on the deep sump oilpan for Dneps? I dropped my oilpan to degunk and reseal (I'll post pics), I've got one with the K750 when I bought it, so I'm thinking I might as well install it now!

I've got the tank sealed, so it won't be too long, I can get this thing out running around.

Also, I had to post something, this wonderful thread got kicked off page 1. The shame! The Commie Cycling Collective must not allow this to happen. Need more of your rebuild pics!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #69
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Hey Mark - thanks for the bump!
Tonight is hang night so something should get done or broken or both. Piccies to follow.

Deep sump. My opinion is they are completely unnecessary. I have ridden crazy Kansas summer hot for extended periods of time and the engine is fine. I monitor cylinder head temps on my MT11 and no alarming change in the summer times. Sure it may reduce it a bit but I feel the negatives out weight a slight positive.
NEGATIVES:
1) Reduced clearance
2) Longer warm-up time (especially bad in winter).
3) Added complexity
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #70
arcticIndian
indian rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883
Roma-

What's your feelings on the deep sump oilpan for Dneps? I dropped my oilpan to degunk and reseal (I'll post pics), I've got one with the K750 when I bought it, so I'm thinking I might as well install it now!

I've got the tank sealed, so it won't be too long, I can get this thing out running around.

Also, I had to post something, this wonderful thread got kicked off page 1. The shame! The Commie Cycling Collective must not allow this to happen. Need more of your rebuild pics!
I was to lazy to shoot pictures during my own K-750 rebuild (bought it 1,5 month ago).. lot's of findings in there as well. Well, it's too late now.. as we started up the bike last night! Yooohoo!
It started easy and ran pretty nice! The generator gear is whining a bit though, need to loosen it a bit (what a stupid design btw).
I did start and ride the bike into the garage 1,5 months ago..and it was definitly more quiet now. Last time the pistons were slapping and it had some knocking from the crank as well.
The deep oil sump should at least keep a few bikes from running out of oil, not sure if it's actually needed? I'm running the stock one now, will replace if checking the oil level becomes too much of a hassle..
I intend to change oil more often instead of counting on the extra oil reservoir to carry/store the particles. Will install a magnet on the drainplug also.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #71
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,462
YEAH!!!!!
THIS is what I'm talkin' about!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #72
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
For all you side-valve voyeurs

Who can't get enough of commie flathead pr0n, here's some photos of the K750 maintenance going on in Ohio.

Removing various pan bolts, and peeling the oil pan from the bottom of the bike, I'm presented with this:

Someone with a love of black silicone goo liberally applied it, creating massive oozes in the usual (bad) places. Also, a nice layer of oil-glop, but not really too bad. This pan has been recently off. However, its off to the parts washer, and some gasket scraper action for this pan.

Inspecting the bottom end of the engine, I find this:

Looks pretty clean to me, and the oil filter appears clean. I wonder what its micron rating is?

No pics, but a new gasket, with a finger-wipe skin of black silicon goo is applied to both sides of the gasket, and the pan is reattached (anyone know the torque specs for the pan bolts? does it matter? Just evenly and not evil-tight?)

A valve adjust is done, and based on the specs found elsewhere, I think the recommended .004 (.01mm) on the exhaust is a little crazy/optimistic. I go to .006, which will give a bit more time on the seat for cooling, but sacrificing no significant amount of horsepower. I stick with .004 on the intakes. These clearances are actually tighter than on my oilhead 1100 GS. No pics again, but I need to grind up some skinny 14mm wrenches. Its real easy to find TDC when your heads are off.

Does anyone wonder what happened in this combustion chamber? I do too. I bet it was loud. There is a slight ding in the cylinder wall too. Mr. Roush would not approve. I gave up measuring the piston/wall clearance at .015. Anyone know if these pistons are tapered- fatter at the skirt than the top of the piston? I hope so! Also, there is a # stamped on the top of the piston 78.93 or something. What's this- the piston size?

Anyone think new headgaskets are a good idea? These look like Khruschev himself could have installed them back in '62 Coppery pieces of crap are procured from China. I overpaid for those

Re-installing the right piston head goes smoothly, torqued to 200 in/#, and there's good compression. Leak down, however, is..... rather fast. I install a sparkplug quiksert (or whatever) in the left head, but will need to massage out some extra threads cut in deeper than the sparkplug hole. Guess no final testing tonight. The 'sert cutter is a tight fit, and rather miserable job to twist the cutter, but a good sealing plug is important. We've only got two cylinders making compression here, and it seems everything working against us to loose that compression.

Given the advice above by Comrade Roma, I decided not to install the deep pan. The clearance issue concerns me the most, though I may try it in the future. I'll watch my temps, see what happens. I guess for now, I have a mighty nice heavy aluminum breadpan. I guess a good, dark, maybe rye, bread would be appropriate. However, the evil ural logo in the bottom would be molded into every loaf.

Next up, the quest for 6v bulbs, to finish the purge of the 12v bulbs (To Siberia with them!), attaching the resealed tank, attempting to repolarize the generator for negative ground, and ignition.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #73
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Time for some lies, wrenching and beer drinkin'!

The gears came first. I decided to go with an all new gear tower. With proper care and loading, they should last.

As you can see the cam and crank gear come in a matched set.

Pressed on using the hydraulic press. I must take a moment and say the press is one item I could not be without. It is used all the time, much more than the mill/lathe, welder etc.

Then I test fit the breather and front cover… Блин! Since I had already over-drilled the timed breather – it was loose on the new cam gear pin. So…

Off with the pin.

New pin made to fit the breather.

Cam gear drilled while the pin chills in the freezer. Some bearing retainer and a few taps...

Nice fit!

Then to the oil pump and pan. Before I start fitting heavier components like the flywheel or cylinders, I want the engine sitting on the pan. I dig through the stash however cannot find an oil pan gasket. I think new Ural pan gaskets are the same but I do not want to wait nor wait then find out they are not. So…

Unroll you own. Plus I like using my gasket punches.

Install the pump.

I determined the pan bolts unsuitable – off for hardware in a day or two.
That is enough for now; beers sacrificed, lies told, it was a good evening. Plus the nicer weather has me thinking of another machine… Time to get her ready as well.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #74
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Hey Mark - how's the project coming along?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #75
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Laugh

Back at it.

New bolts secured – now there are all the same length with proper washers. Screen installed around pump and safety wired.

Then the pan. A beaut – huh!

Time to install the flywheel; secure it, hang on the ratchet with a cheater. Fold over the washer.

With oil pump and pan installed, time to finish up by installing the pump drive gear and cover. Pump driven off a gear on the rear of the cam. Some assembly grease and cover installed.

I want to set the rough gear lash between the cam gear and the generator. I have replaced all the front gears with new since I was in there. So a new gear on the genny as well.

Pulling the old one…

Threads don’t look great. Clean and install gear - start to torque… something strips! The nut strips as it should. Another nut donated off a different genny, all threads chased with proper tap/die and gear installed.

Genny put into place and rough lash set and position marked with paint.

Time to close up front cover and call it an evening.

Learned (or reaffirmed):
- ‘tis fun working on these old Soviet machines.
- Son Volt - damn good wrenching music!

Until next time…

RomaDakota screwed with this post 03-20-2010 at 09:32 PM
RomaDakota is offline   Reply With Quote