Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #76
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Hey Roma, it looks like you're coming along pretty well.

I've got my plug threads fixed, heads back on, properly lined up the footpegs and reinstalled the right exhaust neatly. I think I've got the electrics sorted out- found some 1129 6v bulbs- but I wonder if I should be looking for a new coil. The original soviet coil on this bike isn't shorted out, but it measures 1.8 ohms and pulls 4.5 amps of current. That will show you how good your battery isn't!

Pulled the rear wheel out of morbid curiosity, and of course, its got oil inside. So pull the shoes and clean. I think I've good the weep hole cleaned out, but I'm hoping the inside final seal isn't what's really leaking. Plenty of life on the shoes. They were recently replaced, as were the front.

Also noticed they didn't have a cotter pin on the castle nut on the rear axle. That could always prove to be rather exciting.

I can't really say that the previous owners were anything resembling mechanics.

I hoping tomorrow I can get the tank installed, and the engine fired up. Maybe even go for a shakedown ride.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 AM   #77
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Its alive!

The Ohio-based red commie bike is alive! After polarizing the gen, forcing the fuel tank (its not a precision fit) onto the bike and getting the various fuel orifices to quit leaking... I figured its time to start- but maybe I should first put oil in the crankcase!

It popped on the the second kick, and finally caught on the third. After a bit of warmup and fiddling with the cranial/digital advance mechanism, a nice idle was achieved. Too dark (and wet, and cold) to ride, but that leaves me something to do later today!

Overall- the engine runs much better with the valves set correctly, new plugs and head gaskets.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #78
arcticIndian
indian rider

Oddometer: 239
Good to hear that the bike is running again mark883!

Hope that RomaDakota's bike also will be back on the road soon!

I noticed the headgasket, did you find any grooves/damages to the head?
These kind of leaks seems to gradually evolve. Luckily I managed to save the aluminum head (without the need to TIG weld) when this happened to my indian.

Actually testrode our K-750 on saturday/sunday.. but need to flash the generator again. For some reason it lost the initial magnetic field.
Also struggled a bit with the carb settings..but I believe the battery charge level caused the odd behaviour. It ran pretty good at first..better than I expected.. but attaching the sidecar will probably slow things down:)
I have charged the battery..and it's not raining today. Will reset the carbs and finetune it again:)
The "Chief bluesmoke" do Iceland :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263338&highlight=bluesmoke
arcticIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #79
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,401
Wicked

Hey guys - great news on your progresses! I hope to fit cylinders this week.
And in other news...
Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #80
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota
Hey guys - great news on your progresses! I hope to fit cylinders this week.
And in other news...
Ummm. Them's not engine parts. This appears to be very serious, whatever you're doing. Serious, but probably fun in a sick way.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #81
Possumhopper
Urinal Pilot

Oddometer: 15
Yummy. Now that tank badge will serve a purpose.
Possumhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #82
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Lousy Cheapass Chinese Crap gaskets.....

My left hand cyl head gasket blew out, its doing the old psst psst psst.

I can see a small crack in the asbestos? layer between the copper.

Brand new. I know I didn't do it, either.

What are the good gaskets to use on one of these POSes?

And its so nice and warm outside right now.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:22 AM   #83
arcticIndian
indian rider

Oddometer: 239
I'm using the chinese headgaskets, no problems so far.
Does it leak at the same place where the old headgasket was destroyed?
The "Chief bluesmoke" do Iceland :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263338&highlight=bluesmoke
arcticIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #84
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

After replacing the cheapass chinese gasket with the Kruschev era aluminum gasket, I got the bike running, and prompty.... began to cuss the right hand carb, which was now puking gas all over the exhaust pipe. Cheapass Chinese imitation Keihin carbs! Later that day, I cleaned up the float valve, and rode it around the neighborhood, trying out my newly hooked up and functioning head and taillights. Whereupon it promptly killed the battery, and couldn't be restarted. So, I called Dad's tow service, who pulled me back to the barn behind his suburban.

A 6v Battery Tender seems to have rejuvinated the battery. Nothing worse than a cheap walmart battery charger. You might as well just burn your money.

Soooooooo.... today, I decide to gamble all the chips, and put Dad's towing service on standby. The local harley dealer is having hotdog day, so I decide to take the commie bike, where it can leak oil with the best of 'em. Well, believe it or not, the valiant little KMZ made it to the harley shop, while the operator froze his face off in the clear, sunny but cold and windy northwest ohio day. The KMZ's incontinanace was amazingly well controlled, only leaking a bit from the oil pan, a spot from the back of the tranny, and three drops from the final drive, which seems to be self leveling even when filled according to the dipstick.

The fearless KMZ made it all the way home, for a total kilometerage for the day of about 65. Top speed achieved today was about 45mph indicated, which was accompanied by lots of valve noise and whining of gears. I think it could go faster with a higher rear gear, but then the brakes must be considered. It really seems to favor about 40mph for a comfortable top speed. The engine seems to pull really pretty well, for an old flathead with pretty loose pistons. Overall, a successful day!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #85
Possumhopper
Urinal Pilot

Oddometer: 15
Updates?
Possumhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #86
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Thanks Possum - been busy selling some British junk
Now for more junk...
The cylinders - a portion of the IRAN that I dreaded. They are heavy, cumbersome and needed cleaning even before wrenching.

Started by soaking them in solvent for a bit then allowing the solvent to run down my arms and drip off my elbows into my jacket as I take them over to the bench. A bit of wire brushing, then repeat – ahhhh the constant smell of solvent that lingers… Started on the valves, checked guides for wear then lapped them. Another cleaning cycle then time for a light cylinder hone as I have new rings. The books are vague and no spec given for the ring gap; quite a slow and questionable read for me as my books are in Russian. Another read over and plenty of data on ring-2-pistion gap (even a table) but still no luck on ring end gap. So I used the 0.004” per inch of bore formula etc. Man I do not see how anyone uses the british standard for measuring. Anyaway, all fine if not slightly bigger – no worries.
Time for the valve installation.

The PO had installed springs without the fiber washer at the base of the spring assembly. Trimmed a few for use with my gasket punches.

Valves installed and all cleaned ready for installation; same was done with other cylinder. Boy these things are H E A V Y!! Here is a good shot and one can certainly see were the "side valve" name comes from. Wiped a bit of oil on the surfaces to fend of corrosion.
I had already cleaned the pistons when I measured for new rings prior to ordering. Installed and lubed the rings then moved onto cleaning the wrist pin area on the rods. Nothing to spectacular or unique to this portion of the rebuild. More tedium as I cleaned and re-installed all of the cylinder studs which really took more time than I would have ever imagined.
I should have taken some pics of the tappets during install but I was lazy. Something a bit unique and I blew it off. Sorry ‘bout that.

Here is a snap of the piston installed along with the tappets in place. Note how they are secured in place by the specially shaped block in between them.
Tomorrow is wrench, booze and lies night, hope to install the cylinders. I’ll have the фотоаппарат (fotoapparat) handy.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #87
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Looking good, Roma.

This winter I may want to do a ring/valve job on mine. This is helpful.

Of course, I may need to do an overbore......
Old 04-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #88
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Some wrenching was accomplished on hang-night.

“Were are my cylinders?”

Still amazed at the weight of the cylinders, I decided to weigh one

Wow – a 17 pounder! Including valves and springs.

With a helper holding the cylinder and adding some horizontal pressure, I compressed the rings with my fingers and we worked the cylinders into place. The bottom of the cylinder barrel is beveled to assist with this step.

Cylinders installed.

Last bit of progress on the evening was installing the heads. I put the ignition cover in place just for the photo.

Next will be the clutch pack then the ignition.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #89
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Are those cylinders (fins) and heads as crusty as they apear to be? They are just beging for a bead blasting.

And yes I know its a sickness, but that ignition cover is just begging to be polished.

Either way... loving the build. I aint never seen a motor like that before
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #90
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Back at it after vacation and other airhead projects :)
Time for the clutch

Flywheel ready to accept the springs

Springs installed

Discs and plates installed and ready for screws.

Ready to peen the screws

I also used loctite on the screws for overkill. Done for now

Time to install the engine, hopefully later this week.