User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Riding El Centro,Ca to Cabo-Meet friends and ride back north

Tomorrow I will leave El Centro (where I am spending the winter) and ride south to meet friends from Ohio. My 3 friends rode from Texas to Copper Canyon,then various other places in central Mexico. They are taking an overnight ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz. I plan to meet them in that area,and ride back north. 15 years ago I rode a few hours south of Coco's Corner with a group of friends. Now is my opportunity to see more. I will have about 2 weeks till I have to go to a wedding.

I am ill prepared. I have a 2007 Suzuki DRZ400S with me. I have put a small windshield on it. I also have a soft tail bag and a good size tank bag. I am packed light.

The bike itself has given me a few problems recently. A few weeks ago it quit on me. No spark.But it did start after I went to get a trailer. I replaced the stator and pickup coil because TT forum people said they go bad around 20,000 miles. I'm past that.So,I thought even if it wasn't bad,I'd replace them. The next time I rode it, it quit after 8 miles. It sputtered before it died. It seemed fuel related to me. I took the gas cap off,then replaced it. After a 3 minute stop,I rode 10 miles back home.

My old gas cap seal had deteriorated badly and I replaced it last month with a universal seal. I couldn't find a match for the after market cap I had.Well, it had a rubber nipple that put too much pressure on the cap vent hole,and created a negative pressure-No gas to the carb. Well that's what I'm hoping anyway. I've had 35 non stop miles the last couple days. Otherwise,I guess it may be another one of "them" adventures.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Good luck with the bike. Be sure to carry extra fuel, there is an area with long miles between gas stations. In Catavenia [sp] you will have to buy fuel out of 55 gallon drums at higher than usual rates but you won't hav much choice. It should be fun if your bike doesn't crap out.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
theoenhilde
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hey Douglas,

We wish you good luck and hope that your bike brings you were you want to go and safe journey home. Lots of fun.
With love from the Netherlands.
Hilde Theo and parents.
theoenhilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm packed and ready to go.

I went to migration office in Mexicali. It's on the left as you enter Mexico. They gave me a paper to take to the bank. There I paid about $22 for my tourist card. Actually they gave me a receipt, which I took back to the migration office. Then he gave me the tourist card. The bank where I got the receipt was 2 blocks down the street, and on the same side. They only accept pesos.

I rode 93 miles before the first military check point. It's at the junction of Mexico 5 and the turnoff to Ensenada. They waved me through.

Next, I stopped in San Felipe. I found an ATM and bought some pesos. The town was very quiet for a Friday afternoon. I bought gas there. Cash only. My next stop was at Cow Patties near Puerteceto. I had a beer and a bag of chips. It was 4pm, and that ended up being supper. When I got to Alfonsinas at Gonzaga Bay, it was almost dark. The motel was full. So I am doing emergency camping. I brought my tent, but no sleeping bag. $18 paid for the palapa. It's a semi enclosed shelter with a concrete floor near the waters edge. With some sand under the tent, I'm thinking my back will be as stiff as the concrete by morning. No wifi,no cell service, and no electric at the restaurant (3 miles away) after they turn their generator off. I can't wait till tomorrow.

Here's where I'm camping tonight.

Doogle screwed with this post 03-08-2015 at 10:37 PM
Old 03-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Tow strap?

Baja adventure... luv it !!!

You might consider stopping at a ferretería mexicano (Mexican hardware store) and pick up 25-30 of nylon rope. I carry 50 feet of light nylon strapping (will double it for strength) although never had to use it for a tow rope. I've been told the way to tow another bike is to tow foot peg to foot peg (opposite sides) Beats pushing or throwing your bike into the back of a truck laden with fish for market

Here's hoping you don't have to dig it out
Old 03-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

3/7/15 328 miles to Mulege, Mexico

I think I laid on that concrete for about 12 hours, and slept about 6. I don't know what time I got up. But the sun had been up for a while. I packed up and rode down the road. It was paved the first 10 miles. Then it turned to dirt,gravel, and sand. Another 10 miles and I was at Cocos Corner. Coco has diabetes, and has had both legs amputated below his knees. His place is in the middle of nowhere. Riders stop by his place for beer and snacks when riding Baja. I think you can rent a trailer to sleep in too.15 years ago I rode down here. The paved road ended hours north of his place. I think he was about to have his second leg amputated. He's 78 now. Looks like he can go another 20 years.

I rode through a lot of desert today. I love it.

I

I know I take too many pictures of cactus. But I like them.

I had my usual 1 meal for the day. I stopped in Guerrero Negra to Skype home and eat. As I left the restaurant a man came over to talk. He told me to get gas just out of town. The pumps in town will short you. I needed gas. I was 10 miles down the road and still didn't see the gas station he told me to go to. It was 35 miles to the next possible station, according to the GPS. Would I risk running out of gas? I live for them challenges. The station was there. And I put 4.2 gallons in a 4 gallon tank. Plastic tanks can bulge a little when they are warm.

I rode to Mulege and found the Hotel Mulege for $32. It was more than an hour ride to Loreto. And it would be dark before I could get there. I wanted a room tonight. Since it was Saturday night, I wanted to beat the crowd.

Doogle screwed with this post 03-08-2015 at 10:59 PM
Old 03-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I guess it's obvious I am having trouble with the URL from Photobucket going to the ADV for pictures. Could someone refresh me again?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
You need to use the "direct" link provided by Photo Bucket. Here you go.

SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #9
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I'm packed and ready to go.

Here's where I'm camping tonight.

Fixed.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Fixed.
I don't have that option with my tablet. At least I don't know where to find it. With my laptop I think there was a box with 4 or 5 options to pick from. I guess I can just rework it all when I get home. Thanks SPX

I just figured it out. I need to go to the bottom of the page and click on the FULL VERSION. Hope I can remember that.

Doogle screwed with this post 03-08-2015 at 10:31 PM
Old 03-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #11
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

3-8-15 Mulege to La Paz 311 miles

I think I started riding about 9am. I waited for it to warm up a little. It was good riding through Loreto and on to Ciudad Constitucion. From there on it was just traveling.

But just to add a little spice to this trip, my chain started talking to me. Before leaving California, I looked at it and thought it seemed pretty tight. I thought about replacing it anyway. But thought it surely had another 2500 miles on it. After 150 miles I had to adjust it. I also cut my speed down. Then after another 60 miles I had to again. Now I was seeing some red rust deposits sprayed around. The orings must be shot and all the grease must have gone on vacation. I put oil on the chain to buy me some miles. I keep my speed between 45 and 50 mph. It got me to La Paz. The towns I stopped in all said La Paz would be the only place I would find a chain. Since it was 5pm on Sunday when I got here, I will wait till tomorrow to go in search of.

Another possible issue I need to look at. Twice today the bike was difficult to start. I think the oring on the float valve is bad. Gas leaks into the intake if I forget to shut off the tank valve when I stop. This happened to me 6 years ago on my way to Prudhoe Bay. I think some gas formulations attack the rubber/viton. As long as the manual tank valve doesn't go bad, and I remember to turn it off when I stop, I should be okay.

RIDING SOUTH OF MULEGE

THE WATERFRONT IN LA PAZ

HOTEL SAN BERNARDINO

Doogle screwed with this post 03-08-2015 at 10:28 PM
Old 03-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #12
95Monster
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Nice, I must have passed you on the way up. Riding a multistrada, I left Loreto Saturday and stopped in El Rosario Saturday Night. Now back in LA, wishing I were in Todos Santos :/

Thanks for the RR!

George
95Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #13
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
Baja adventure... luv it !!!

You might consider stopping at a ferretería mexicano (Mexican hardware store) and pick up 25-30 of nylon rope. I carry 50 feet of light nylon strapping (will double it for strength) although never had to use it for a tow rope. I've been told the way to tow another bike is to tow foot peg to foot peg (opposite sides) Beats pushing or throwing your bike into the back of a truck laden with fish for market

Here's hoping you don't have to dig it out
I've been towed before. Subframe to the forks. Stupid, crazy stuff. No mas.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #14
PJL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hey, great start to the ride! I hope to cruise to baja as well sometime soon!
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

3-9-15 La Paz to San Jose del Cabo 1022 miles total

This morning I bought a chain for the motorcycle. Then I passed a yamaha dealer and decided to have them install it. They said it would take about 2 hours. So I went to Burger King for breakfast. Then I got a haircut. When I got back to the shop, the guy said the chain wouldn't fit. Rookie. I told him it had to be cut to fit. It cost me $17 to train him to install chains. I even had to use my chain breaker. Romeo was a pleasant guy. Just not trained.

ROMEO PUTTING THINGS BACK ON THAT DIDN'T NEED TO COME OFF.

I was happy to keep my hands semi clean. When I got to San Jose del Cabo I remembered that I didn't see him bend the lock tab over on the countershaft nut. Rookie.... I'll get it tomorrow.

Anyway I am riding again. Nice curvey roads today. I am staying at the hotel that my friends booked for tomorrow. An easy no move day tomorrow. Hotel Colli is very nice-$50.

I went to a roof top restaurant and bar to eat and the other thing. Wish my wife was here. So pleasant.

Doogle screwed with this post 03-10-2015 at 07:59 AM