User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #1516
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,516
Talking

A milestone in my journey: today is the 1,000th day since I started this adventure on March 5th, 2010 from Chicago! It's been amazing and I'm so glad that I could embark on this journey when I did. There have been life-affirming experiences, such as my stays with farmers in Bolivia and fishermen in Sudan and challenging situations, such as my recent prolonged breakdown in Tanzania and dealing with bureaucratic hurdles. All good in the end and so thankful for all of you that have supported me throughout this trip Onwards to South Africa!

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #1517
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
@Salcar: Hey Sal, I'll keep you posted. I'll probably get to SA in a few weeks, depending on what visas I can get. Which city are you in?
For the last 5 months I've been traveling around Asia (trip blog) including magical India. I'm currently in Indonesia and on January 11th in fly to Cape Town from were the adventure starts two-up with my gf.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #1518
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post
For the last 5 months I've been traveling around Asia (trip blog) including magical India. I'm currently in Indonesia and on January 11th in fly to Cape Town from were the adventure starts two-up with my gf.
Nice Let's see if we can time a meet up.

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #1519
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

December 1, 2012

It's mango season in Tanzania and these crazy kids were at first shy of the camera but after some encouragement, their playfulness came out :) The mangoes only cost 100 Shillings each ($0.06) and I've been gorging myself on them, along with lots of papaya, plums and passion fruit.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #1520
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

December 3, 2012

Beautiful day for riding the wonderful twisties of Tanzania's Southern Highlands.

After a chilly night in Njombe, a small town surrounded by tea estates at 2,000 m (6,560 ft), I dropped down to the end of the highlands in Songea. The endless hills and curves provided for excellent riding; it felt good to be charging into corners in 3rd gear and then powering through on the exit. Oh, yeah

My last night in Tanzania and East Africa. From here, I'm heading south into the bush for a remote border crossing into Mozambique. It might take a day or three to get to the next sizable town and back online on the other side. I've been listening to my Portuguese language tapes from Michel Thomas and excited for a new country and my favorite language

Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #1521
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,756
congrats Jay!

Quote:
A milestone in my journey: today is the 1,000th day since I started this adventure on March 5th, 2010 from Chicago! It's been amazing and I'm so glad that I could embark on this journey when I did. There have been life-affirming experiences, such as my stays with farmers in Bolivia and fishermen in Sudan and challenging situations, such as my recent prolonged breakdown in Tanzania and dealing with bureaucratic hurdles. All good in the end and so thankful for all of you that have supported me throughout this trip Onwards to South Africa!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #1522
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
December 3, 2012

Beautiful day for riding the wonderful twisties of Tanzania's Southern Highlands.

After a chilly night in Njombe, a small town surrounded by tea estates at 2,000 m (6,560 ft), I dropped down to the end of the highlands in Songea. The endless hills and curves provided for excellent riding; it felt good to be charging into corners in 3rd gear and then powering through on the exit. Oh, yeah

My last night in Tanzania and East Africa. From here, I'm heading south into the bush for a remote border crossing into Mozambique. It might take a day or three to get to the next sizable town and back online on the other side. I've been listening to my Portuguese language tapes from Michel Thomas and excited for a new country and my favorite language
Honestly, how many languages do you speak; apart from english, which is your second language? I'm still trying to master the english language, and me grammar sucks? You Jay, mast be a born intellect!!
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #1523
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

December 5, 2012

Bem-vindo a Moçambique! From Songea, it was a beautiful dirt ride to the border, then I slogged my way through sand on the other side. Me and a heavy bike are no good in sand. I made it to the first village and was invited to stay with the sole customs agent there. The night sky was amazingly brilliant! I could see stars just above the trees and huts. My Portuguese is coming back quickly and I managed to have some decent conversation. Eu gosto de falar esta língua bonita.

From there, it was an easy ride on hard-packed mud roads with granite peaks all around and grand vistas. I made it to Lichinga, the big town in the area, withdrew some local money, Meticas, bought a local SIM card, activated internet and headed for the shores of Lake Malawi or Lago Niassa here.

It's warm and there's a strong breeze blowing from the lake into my little beach hut Agora, para um pouco de descanso...

Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #1524
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 333
Would a steering stabiliser have helped with that sand?

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #1525
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 145
SA just 1 country away.
ice cold black label beer awaiting your arrival J.
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #1526
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

@eakins: about to cross the 50,000 mile mark

@Thumper Dan: haha, well, yeah, my mother tongue (native language) is Telegu from Southern India but my family lives in next state where they speak Tamil, so I speak that too, but not as good. I've studied and spoken English from birth, so I consider that my most fluent language but I keep in touch with Telegu by making sure to speak to my mom when I call home on Skype but it's English with dad to convey all the important stuff Then, I studied French for 6 years through school and didn't pick up much but then when I started this trip and really got immersed into Spanish, I could start having conversations after 2 months, by about Colombia and then after 2 months in Brazil, I could converse in Portuguese For Egypt and Sudan, I learned a few phrases in Arabic and at one point I could speak a few phrases in Mandarin when I used to travel to China a lot for work, but now I've forgotten it. Next I need to learn Japanese for my girlfriend and most likely Hindi by the time I get back to India. I highly recommend Michel Thomas and his language tapes, the easiest way to learn a new language

@Rotten Ronnie: I do have a stabiliser, the WER one but I think it works better at higher speeds in the sand and for that, I first need confidence of not falling over in the sand in the middle of nowhere with no one around, which this heavy bike doesn't inspire. I think I'd be much better in the sand with a light 250 or something

@Ganjora: sounds fantastic, Dave, but if I get my Zambian visa, then I'm going to head into there, then Namibia, then SA. If not, then direct to SA. I should find out in a few days...

Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #1527
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

December 6, 2012

Come, let's go fishing on Lago Niassa...

A relaxing day at my beach hut, eating lots of mangoes, listening to bossa nova amid the waves coming on shore and enjoying the slow pace of life here Back on the road tomorrow, heading for the coast.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #1528
Quasenada
n00b

Oddometer: 6
lake turkana... man, what breathtaking region! you and you friends were very inspired in this place, so many GREAT PICS!
you did not try take a bath in the lake? (you sayed that are crocodiles in there, but you dont see any ) i dont know if i would resist the temptation!

thanks for saving my friday night, loving every bit of the adventure, hope its everything okay!
Quasenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #1529
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

December 8, 2012

Riding the forests of Northern Mozambique.

From the lake, I shot back up over the mountains and am heading east across the remote Niassa province. The road is paved for a couple hundred kms on either end of this stretch but I really enjoyed this bit in the middle, still 'untouched' by the Chinese and their paving machines. The track narrowed down to this single lane road and it was good to brush up against the shrub Rain clouds were moving all around and I sought shelter from a lightning storm in one villager's hut. All the kids were entertained by this stranger as I took their photos Should be an easy ride to the coast tomorrow...

Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #1530
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

December 9, 2012

Rolled into Pemba, on the Mozambican coast and realized it's the first time that sanDRina's back at sea level since entering Africa last May at Alexandria Staying at a backpacker's place and met the only other guest, Rob, a South African pastry chef from Spain who's riding home to Durban on a Honda Africa Twin. We went out for some local grub yesterday and bought a huge, freshly-caught squid for $8 and this lady by the beach grilled it for a dollar. It went great with some pilipili hot sauce and cold Manica beers with a stiff breeze blowing in from the sea. Rob and I traded biker's tales and he revealed that he's worked for some of the top-rated restaurants, such as El Bulli and El Cellar de Can Roca in Barcelona. So, today we bought some small octopi and using both our camping stoves made an octopi curry with my mom's garam masala served over rice