Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #151
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526
Ah, feels good to be on the road again. Tune up went well. Daniel at Werkstatt pointed out the air speed screw which was set too rich. Small, inconspicuous screw. Looks like this carb came from a two stroker...

Bike is purring nicely. Rode down beautiful coastal Hwy 1. In Paso Robles tonight.

The trip continues, heading for the border :)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos

Jammin screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 02:04 PM
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #152
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 706
Safe travels.
IBA #33096
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #153
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
On The Road Again!!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #154
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Reclining the seat, pouring a beer, the story continues
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #155
advrider58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thumb Paso Overnight

Jay arrived in Paso Robles, CA after some cold dark coastal riding. We got him into a hot shower and poured soup into him. After an overnight rest and chain adjustment, we sent him on his way.

Great to meet you Jay! All the best on your epic journey!
advrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #156
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Next stop at my pad in San Diego. We're gonna hit Palomar on a 65 CB 160 and a 74 CB 200. Should be cool.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #157
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben
Next stop at my pad in San Diego. We're gonna hit Palomar on a 65 CB 160 and a 74 CB 200. Should be cool.
Don't forget your camera !
IBA #33096
Old 03-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #158
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Peter,
The danger with water in the air box is that it can drain out through the crankcase breather hose (this is attached to air box) and FILL UP The Crank Case with water. Not good.

I mentioned before that I was not sure if the breather hose has a one way
anti-back flow valve in line or not. If not, it really needs one to keep water out of crankcase in the event of a tip over in deep water.

On a four stroke this is a major disaster. Water can get in through the carb too but it takes longer if engine is shut off IMMEDIATELY after you go under. If running, the engine will suck water right in through carb and then will migrate into crank case.

Read Colebatch's ride report called The BAM road.

A one way valve will let the crankcase pressure breath into air box but will not let anything go the other way.
Thanks! Guess I got very lucky

So an other tip for the trip Jay .......

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #159
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

In San Diego, staying with Ruben, founder of DRILL (Ducati Riders of Illinois). Nice ride down the coast, love the beach scenes

Pictures coming shortly.

DR Parts Question: are 525 chains and sprockets available in South America, like Colombia and Equador? I thought they were but met some travelers who suggested otherwise.

Should I carry a chain and sprockets from here? Can buy in SD if needed, but dont know if it's worth to carry that extra weight - I'm already pushing it

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #160
HiJincs
Wanna' B Hooligan

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin

DR Parts Question: are 525 chains and sprockets available in South America, like Colombia and Equador? I thought they were but met some travelers who suggested otherwise.

Should I carry a chain and sprockets from here? Can buy in SD if needed, but dont know if it's worth to carry that extra weight - I'm already pushing it
I've not been down there but if you read through MAG's trip report, the 525 was the cause of much of her problems. She couldn't even find a 525 master-link. I'd either bring spare drive-line parts or convert over to 520 before you leave.

Edit: Here's her thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529505

Read post #245

HiJincs screwed with this post 03-26-2010 at 10:52 AM
HiJincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #161
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Ditto

Make sure which ever you get (525 or 520), it is a DID VM-2 X-ring chain.
You do have more gearing options with the 520.
IBA #33096
Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #162
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:

Colombia has a Suzuki factory which assembles DR650, V-Strom 650 & 1000 and other smaller bikes locally.

I'm sure you will find a chain there.
If you get to Bogota, and want to find cheaper prices than at the dealer, go to this address: Calle 17 con Carrera 15. It is an area where you will find several streets filled with small stores door to door which sell motorcycle parts for every brand and model. You'll find tires, tubes and lots of other things you might need. I suggest you take a taxi (it's kind of shady) and hassle their price.
or
Big Suzuki Dealership in Bogota: Bermotos. Address Calle 134 con Carrera 19.
I'm sure you'll find other Suzuki dealerships in every major town in Colombia if you google them up.

If you get to Venezuela I'll be happy to help you with parts and other stuff. PM sent with contact info.

Buen Viaje!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #163
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Hey Jay! Good to see you're enjoying the SD area. I like to ride out to the Anza Borrego area.

Chains / Sprockets:
Chains and sprockets are kind of my pet peeve ... and I have put this obsession to work!

Based on ADV Gal's reports lately it seems 525 sizes may not be commonly available down South. But as noted in other posts here, Suzuki dealers should be able to source OEM Suzuki sprockets and chain .... but down there who knows how long you have to wait or if they can really get stuff.

I did suggest ADV Gal convert to 520, but if I were leaving from the US as you are, this is what I would do:

Start with brand new 525 DID VM-2 X ring chain with Rivet link master link. Use Suzuki OEM sprockets.

How many miles on your current chain/sprockets?
If your chain is even questionable .... CHANGE IT NOW! If It's not a DID VM-2, it will not last all that long.

I have years of great experience with this combination of chain/sprockets including lots of Mexico and Baja riding. (on various bikes) About 150,000 miles in all going back to mid 90's.

My current '06 DR650 has 30,000 miles on it. (I've had 3 DR's) At around 10,000 miles the original stock Suzuki chain was starting to fail. This is about normal for the original chain. I replaced it with the DID combo you see above: DID VM-2 X-Ring, 525. Nothing else comes even close. Just the way it is.

My current DID VM-2 chain is now at about 19,000 miles and still looks pretty damn good. No adjustments needed, a few kinks. Easily another 5000 miles remaining.

I have another new DID VM-2 waiting to go on for long trips this Summer. So, in the end it will have lasted approx. 25,000 miles. IMO, you do not need to carry a spare chain. 25K will get you a LONG way down the road. But DO carry a spare front Suzuki OEM sprocket.

At 10,000 miles on my DID VM-2, I put on a NEW OEM (stock) countershaft sprocket. This is the key to longevity. The front sprocket wears first, putting on a new one extends your chain life dramatically. Worn Countershaft sprockets wear chain out. Easy to carry a spare countershaft sprocket and not expensive if bought on line. I have links if you need them.

I bought this last time from Babbit's online. (Suzuki dealer) TPI has chains, but not Suzuki sprockets.

Lots of folks go on and on about "miracle" sprockets. IMHO, it's all BS. OEM Suzuki Sprockets will out perform most others I've tried, Including JT,
Sunstar, Renthal and AFAM. The AFAM are hard to find but pretty good.
JT are commonly available and I carry a 14T to use for off road when I need lower gearing. Stock Suzuki sprocktet only comes in ONE Size. For overall touring its the best and cheap.

Final thoughts:
If your current chain and sprockets are in good shape, then go ahead and ride on .... BUT ... I would buy the DID and OEM Sprockets and carry them with you until your current chain and sprockets are gone.

You may have a problem finding someone to do a rivet link but this is NOT HARD to do. Having the correct tool helps but you can improvise. You could also use a Clip-Type link. A bit tricky to get to stay on with a X ring chain.

The RK Rivet link tool is small and easy to carry but expensive.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 03-26-2010 at 11:43 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #164
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Yeah, I read MAG's report as well and her chain issues, but that happened in Central America itself, right, southern Mexico? As SS in VZ says, I know Colombia has a more developed bike scene with parts available and Equador too.

I carried a new chain with me from Chicago to SF. I mounted the old chain before my CDR trip so in SF, chain had 9k miles, RK 525XSO (have had good use from this chain over the years, im sure it's similar to the DID VM2). But instead of lugging that new chain around and waiting for things to fail, I decided to mount the new chain in SF. I thought I was carrying a spare rear sprocket but when I opened the package in SF, figured out it was for a 90-95 DR rear (TPI messed up, but sent replacement sprocket to Chicago). So put old rear sprocket on (with 9K miles) and used same front sprocket (new in Chicago, so 3K miles on that). Is this going to deteriorate my chain life, using not new sprockets? The teeth dont look worn.

I guess I'll buy a rear sprocket here and take it with me. I'm already carrying a spare front sprocket. And I'll forget carrying a new chain. I'm hoping this will last till Buenos Aires, but will replace in Colombia if needed.

Jammin screwed with this post 04-09-2010 at 11:20 PM
Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #165
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
You may have a problem finding someone to do a rivet link but this is NOT HARD to do. Having the correct tool helps but you can improvise. You could also use a Clip-Type link. A bit tricky to get to stay on with a X ring chain.

The RK Rivet link tool is small and easy to carry but expensive.
Yup, I'm carrying a Motion Pro Chain Breaker and Riveting tool and used it to rivet the master link in SF. Have never used clip style links and will stick to master links as much as I can.

Am carrying some spare links as well, about 5. Need to buy some spare master links here.