Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #1651
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,528
sanDRina all crated up

February 28, 2013

sanDRina all crated up and ready for her sea voyage to India. This is the first time I've crated her on this trip, having managed to find ferries, sail boats and car-carrying ships across the water bodies from Chicago to Cape Town. But from here to Chennai she's going on a regular container ship, a 30 day journey. I tried to find passage on a ship for myself, but no luck. Oh well, air travel it is then. My flight is booked for Tuesday. I weighed up sending sanDRina by air freight but in the end it would cost double of sea freight. I found this metal crate at a local dealership and happy that I could leave the wheels and topbox on. Spares tires on the panniers and riding gear strapped on the seat. A huge plastic bag went over the crate and then a huge cardboard box. Bye bye, sanDRina. See you on the other side.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #1652
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Just wanted to drop a quick note - I'm in a leadership class and we're planning a theoretical exercise in Bolivia. Some of the folks in class searched Google for information about the ferries crossing from Guajara-Mirim to Guayaramarin and came across your pictures. I happened to walk by and saw them surfing ADV and wondered what they were doing because they're not riders. They pointed out the pictures so I figured I'd let you know that they were very helpful. Thanks!
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #1653
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
Just wanted to drop a quick note - I'm in a leadership class and we're planning a theoretical exercise in Bolivia. Some of the folks in class searched Google for information about the ferries crossing from Guajara-Mirim to Guayaramarin and came across your pictures. I happened to walk by and saw them surfing ADV and wondered what they were doing because they're not riders. They pointed out the pictures so I figured I'd let you know that they were very helpful. Thanks!
"theoretical exercise"? Sounds familiar!
There the go Jay! Your pics may be help sponsoring a US military backed Coup in Bolivia! Ferries in Bolivia? Except for Lake Titicaca ... Bolivia is land locked.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #1654
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
+1
every time on ADV rider I learn something new!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #1655
PorLaTierra
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Ive been following your blog since the beginning, mostly on your personal site though, I love every update. I think it might be very strange to go into an international airport after all you have experienced. It just might be the most exotic thing you have done in years! Glad to see the regular updates again, looking forward to more! Ride on!
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #1656
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
There the go Jay! Your pics may be help sponsoring a US military backed Coup in Bolivia! Ferries in Bolivia? Except for Lake Titicaca ... Bolivia is land locked.
The Rio Mamoré between the twin-border towns of Guajara-Mirim (Brazil) and Gauyaramerin (Bolivia) is a large one with out a bridge so you need a ferry of sorts (more of a barge) to cross it. If you are on a bike, there are some motorized canoes that will take you across cheaper than the barge.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #1657
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
That's awesome! Glad to provide some useful intel and distraction for the class
It's a long way to anywhere important after crossing that ferry, on both sides of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Well... if it helps me get my next US visa, hey... why not
Land locked it is, but a huge river to cross at the northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
Ive been following your blog since the beginning, mostly on your personal site though, I love every update. I think it might be very strange to go into an international airport after all you have experienced. It just might be the most exotic thing you have done in years! Glad to see the regular updates again, looking forward to more! Ride on!
Thanks for being there since the beginning I went to a huge shopping mall yesterday, here in Cape Town, to buy some souvenirs (the first time on this trip) for some family members back in India and damn, I dont enjoy malls.

It's going to be strange covering so much ground in an airplane after taking forever to cover it by bike. I'll be flying on Qatar airways, so it'll be like 8 hours to cover what took me almost 2 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
The Rio Mamoré between the twin-border towns of Guajara-Mirim (Brazil) and Gauyaramerin (Bolivia) is a large one with out a bridge so you need a ferry of sorts (more of a barge) to cross it. If you are on a bike, there are some motorized canoes that will take you across cheaper than the barge.
Yup. When I was there, the ferry wasn't running, but I got sanDRina into a canoe for the crossing. Feels like an adventure when you arrive in a new country with your bike in a canoe

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #1658
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,523
So cool the mighty DR does another continent, how many mile on the beast?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #1659
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
Indian travels

Jay

If the city of Mysore is on your itinerary, please do stop in and visit Somender Singh at his workshop. You never know he may even groove the cylinder head of your DR.

Our KLR is grooved, we pull 17-43 gearing two up and regularly return 60 mpg.

www.somender-singh.com

TH
Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #1660
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
So cool the mighty DR does another continent, how many mile on the beast?
Yup, 5th continent coming up
Trip mileage: 59,002 miles | Chassis mileage: 85,002 miles | Engine mileage: 65,913 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorHeath View Post
Jay
If the city of Mysore is on your itinerary, please do stop in and visit Somender Singh at his workshop. You never know he may even groove the cylinder head of your DR.
Our KLR is grooved, we pull 17-43 gearing two up and regularly return 60 mpg.
www.somender-singh.com
TH
Hey Trevor, I remember you mentioning him before. Will see if I can stop by. He's doing a wonderful thing for the planet

Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #1661
rahza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
congratulation

well jay, i must congratulate you on completion of you trip to india . have a safe journey. hopefully with a happy ending. hope you have a great future with your adventure skill and job. keep the chicken curry running. where will you based in india. maybe we will meet some day. cheers
rahza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #1662
thomtom
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Safe travel back "home", but I think your hart is on the road. Pity I missed you in SA, maybe somewere else someday.
thomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #1663
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

March 5, 2013

Good bye, Africa!! It's been awesome. Trials and tribulations aplenty Thank you for giving me this chance to ride across the breath of your great land and meet your wonderful people. Now, I must move on to the next phase but a huge slice of my heart will always be in Africa I'll be back!

Flying out tonight from Cape Town to Chennai via Doha.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #1664
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 145
cheers Jay!!!
damn, going to be sad when your adventure comes to an end...
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #1665
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,735
Oh boy, you're heading to the land of chicken curry.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote