Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #166
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
So put old rear sprocket on (with 9K miles) and used same front sprocket (new in Chicago, so 3K miles on that). Is this going to deteriorate my chain life, using not new sprockets? The teeth dont look worn.
I think it'll only start to visibly chew things (chain & sprockets) if you run a different size in any of the 3 (chain, front-rear sprocket) with out swapping all to the same size. As in running a 520 rear sprocket w/ a 525 chain and 525 front sprocket and vice versa, etc. I don't believe dropping a used sprocket of matching size (assuming it's not worn and the tooth gaps arent rutted) should cause you any damage.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #167
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,527
Pictures from San Francisco, Part 2

March 17 -22, 2010

On my way out of San Francisco the first time I realized I didnt take too many pictures of the city and snapped some off on Van Ness street. The War Memorial Opera House.

San Francisco City Hall.

Coming down Highway 1, buzzing along in the bright sun, thinking the trip is finally moving again and...

just south of Half Moon Bay, engine goes quiet and I lose all drive. Starter motor would spin but no turn over of the crank.

Looked insde the vavle area and saw the cam chain not moving and traced back with the help of my mechanic friend Gus on the phone that it was due to my miss-assembly of the cam chain tensioner when I was servicing the engine. Big oopsy. Lots of engine damage.

Shridhar called his friend Jul (Yule) to come to the rescue and take me back to San Francisco to figure out what to do. He's a bike guy, as well.

The next morning, I took the bike to Werkstatt to get their opinion on how serious the damage was and they recommended a new engine instead of trying to fix this one. Shridhar agreed to part with his DR since he wasn't riding it much. The bike was stuck in a shop, so in the down time, Jul took me around to see the other bike shops in town. This is Subterranean.

We finished the bike tour with a visit to Dudley Perkins Harley-Davidson, a very prominent Harler dealer with a few bikes there setup as museum pieces. This is a 1957 KR Roadracer.

A 1924 JD Harley-Davidson. The 1st twin cam hill climber engine. Built my Tom Sifton.

A 2 storey wall of Harley engine history.

Took a nice ride north of the Bay Area with Jul and his riding friends and this is at the Sonoma Lake overlook. Shridhar lent me his Suzuki V-Strom since he was out of town that weekend. Nice bike to ride.

Riding the awesome Skaggs Springs Road and other twisties in the area. Lots of rough, tight, technical turns.

During our lunch stop in Guerneville, a second Honda Trans Alp pulls up after seeing Jul's modified Trans Alp. The second owner said he had never seen another TA out on the road. Jul is quite the bike modifyer and has a motor from a Honda Nighthawk, I think 750 in there and calls his creation the Trans-hawk.

Taking a coffee break at Wild Flour Bread Bakery near Occidental, where they make some tasy artisan bread.

Jul and his friend Riccardo, who's studied Mexican law and told me to contact him for any legal help down there.

Stopping by Roy Brizio's shop, a well-known custom hod rod car builder. The shop is open for anyone to walk through.

Lots of famed history here.

A near-finished car (someone help me identify what kind this is).

A little earlier in the assembly stage: engine in the frame.

A classic pickup truck. And Jul said they were making their own stamped aluminum body parts.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos

Jammin screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 08:01 AM
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #168
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I thought I was carrying a spare rear sprocket but when I opened the package in SF, figured out it was for a 90-95 DR rear (TPI messed up, but sent replacement sprocket to Chicago). So put old rear sprocket on (with 9K miles) and used same front sprocket (new in Chicago, so 3K miles on that). Is this going to deteriorate my chain life, using not new sprockets? The teeth dont look worn.

I guess I'll buy a rear sprocket here and take it with me. I'm already carrying a spare front sprocket. And I'll forgot carrying a new chain. I'm hoping this will last till Buenos Aires, but will replace in Colombia if needed.
So the RK chain is brand new? Good! I would swap out your 9K rear sprocket for a new OEM Suzuki sprocket, not a JT or other. Not all sprockets are created equal! Keep current 9K one for a spare (if not sharpened on edges). Put NEW countershaft sprocket on NOW, save 3K sprocket for spare (if still good). Worn sprockets wear chains fast. Most non OEM sprockets will not be as good as OEM ones on longevity.

I don't know RK chains very well. I haven't used them in years. I know they have improved but, IMHO, are still behind DID. Hopefully the RK will give you 20,000 miles trouble free. Keep clean and lightly oiled. No chain wax.

If you end up buying a new chain down South from a Suzuki dealer, keep in mind the stock DR650 chain is also a DID, but a lesser quality O ring chain. It should last about 10K to 12K miles (on average). Down South, even a cheap chain will be EXPENSIVE. So it actually saves money to buy long lasting stuff here, where it is cheaper. Most Imported goods will be roughly double the cost of USA prices in S. America.

Good luck! Looking forward to following your trip.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #169
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 706
War Memorial Opera House

City Hall

(help me identify this building)
IBA #33096
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #170
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,993
Hello Jay,

I rode past you in busy LA traffic on Thursday, and Gave you a wave!. Saw your Jamminglobal.com on the back of your case, but had to been following you. So now I will be. Good luck on the rest of your trip!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #171
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

DR Engine Swap

March 22 - 24, 2010

Mike came forward on ADVrider after hearing my engine issues and offered to help with the engine swap. He was only about 10 mins away from Jul's place, so I moved my DR there and then went down to San Jose to pick up Shridhar's DR from a shop there. He had some carb issues but otherwise the engine was known to be running good.

Mike and I worked straight through the evening to complete the engine swap. We started about 6 pm and had both motors pulled by about 9 pm. After a good dinner break, we got to putting the new motor in my DR and fired it up at around 3 am. We wrenched diligently with no rush and made no mistakes. It was satisfying to have the motor fire up on the first try.

However, she wasn't idling too well and I took her to Werkstatt the next morning to have them look her over and Daniel there showed me the Air Speed Screw that I didn't know about, which was out too far making the air/fuel mixture too rich. With a few adjustments, sanDRina was running smooth and I was on my way out of San Francisco.

Mike working on Shirdhar's bike. His apartment building came with access to this big underground garage area with enough space to work on the bikes.

Both the motors out of the frames.

A Captain moment, arrgh.

Goodbye original engine. Sorry to end your life so soon, but sounds like you'll get a second lease pretty soon (Procycle is taking this lump off my hands).

Getting the donor motor in my frame. We both gained more experience in DR engine swaps this night. Back in the motor through the left side and then turn in once it's in the frame and then line up the engine mounts. Easy as pie.

Getting friendly with the new motor.

She fired up on the first shot. Yeah baby, sanDRina rides again!

Taking her to Werkstatt to fine tune the idle and air/fuel mixture settings. 15 mins worth of their time and sanDRina was purring smoothly. Time to head out of San Francisco. It was a good two weeks spent here and I enjoyed the city, but iching to get further south.

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos

Jammin screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 08:02 AM
Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #172
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Riding the California Coastline

March 24 - 25, 2010

El Pacifico. Riding the beautiful Pacific Coastal Highway south from San Francisco. Something I've wanted to do before leaving the US.

Oh yeah :)

This was definitely some epic landscape, especially with the lighting towards dusk.

The historic Bixby Bridge, built in 1932.

Can't get tired of this view.

Looking back north with Bixby Bridge in view.

The sun coming through the heavy clouds made for wonderful lighting.

A hilly island right on the coast, near San Simeon.

Staying with ADVer John in Paso Robles.

Riding Hwy 101 down the coast towards San Diego. This is just north of Los Angeles.

Passing under a Delta 757 landing at the always busy LAX (Los Angeles Airport) (am also an aviation enthusiast).

As dreaded as freeway riding is, I'm definitely going to miss how well organized and easy to use the US Interstate system is.

Uggh, this is the widest freeway I've ridden, 7 lanes! This is in southern LA where I-405 and I-5 meet. Traffic wasn't bad, only backed up twice and with bikes being allowed in the carpool lane and with lane-splitting, it was no problem.

Catching Hwy 101 back on the coast near San Diego. I was heading to meet my friend Ruben who moved out from Chicago.

Jammin screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 08:03 AM
Old 03-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #173
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
As in running a 520 rear sprocket w/ a 525 chain and 525 front sprocket and vice versa, etc. I don't believe dropping a used sprocket of matching size (assuming it's not worn and the tooth gaps aren't rutted) should cause you any damage.
You're right, won't do any damage. But I'm talking about trying to get Max life out of the chain & sprockets. So a lightly used sprocket won't damage the chain but it will be a bit closer to wearing out. No big deal.

Most riders would never notice any of this stuff unless they are doing huge miles. In the next month or two Jay will likely put on 10,000 miles. If you look closely you can see wear at that point, in fact you can measure it if you're crazy like me!

Hooked sprocket has done about 9,000 (hard) miles. HARD Acceleration hooks sprockets. Hooked sprockets EAT chains. (among other things)
Also, notice the "wavy" wear below the teeth on the "hooked" sprocket. That is wear, you will also see a sharpening of the edges on both front and rear
sprockets. Not good. The end is near! Sprocket on LEFT has only about 2000 miles on it.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #174
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:

Uggh, this is the widest freeway I've ridden, 7 lanes! This is in southern LA where I-405 and I-5 meet. Traffic wasn't bad, only backed up twice and with bikes being allowed in the carpool lane and with lane-splitting, it was no problem.

Catching Hwy 101 back on the coast near San Diego. I was heading to meet my friend Ruben who moved out from Chicago.

Just an FYI thats not southern LA. Thats Orange County. Lake forest to be more precise. I live about 8 miles from where that picture was shot. I know that image well. That next exit coming up is El Toro. LOL great ride. Wish i knew you were coming thru, id of bought you lunch, there is an In N Out on that exit. I ride an XR650L and also am about to go on an adventure. Im going to all the lower 48 states and more. I wish i could of joined you. Unfortunately you will already be in Mexico when i leave.

BTW, when do you enter Mexico, if you haven't already? If your still in SD on the 2nd of April maybe we can ride some. Ask Ruben on the details if your still going to be around.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #175
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Mike and I worked straight through the evening to complete the engine swap....
Make sure you've got your new engine number on all your paperwork! It would be just horrible to grind to a halt at a 3rd world border somewhere in a years time because someone finally noticed the numbers don't match.

eepeqez screwed with this post 03-28-2010 at 01:51 AM
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #176
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Nice RR!

Remembering Highway 1 ... I like my V-Strom too!!

Safe Journeys! ... waiting for more!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #177
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
[i]

Riding Hwy 101 down the coast towards San Diego. This is just north of Los Angeles.
Cool thread! This picture is a few miles from my house. Good luck on your ride!
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #178
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Jay left our pad Sunday morning after staying with us for a few days. On Saturday we took the vintage bikes to Palomar and my buddy Silvano gave Jay the 996 to ride. Let's see, Jay favorite bike on the mountain he's been dying to ride; needless to say he was happy!

Excellent house guest I must say. Good beer and good conversation. Ride on Jay.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #179
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Great report Jammin.

Typical Mike (Mfed). Helping anyone, anywhere at anytime.

Quote:
Mike came forward on ADVrider after hearing my engine issues and offered to help with the engine swap.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #180
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Weekend in San Diego

March 26 - 28, 2010

Getting closer to the Mexican border, my friend Ruben in San Diego invited me to come over and ride Palomar Mountain, a heavenly road for sport bike riders. He moved out from Chicago a few years ago and while there he founded DRILL (Ducati Riders of Illinois) and got invited a few times by Ducati to their headquarters for club presidents' meetings and got to ride beautiful Italian sportbikes through the twisty roads there. He then moved onto vintage Honda motorcycles and currently has a '65 CB160 and a '74 CB200, which is his wife Barabara's daily rider. We planned to take the bikes out for a day ride to Palomar Mountain. His primary bike is a Honda XL650.

Getting some good eat at Pokez, a popular Mexican eatery.

I tried to find a spare rear sprocket for the DR and we went around to a few dealerships but no one had it in stock. This is at Fun Bike Center and a handsome looking Suzuki GSX-R race bike.

The grand daddy of all modern repli-race sport bikes, the Suzuki GSX-R750.

A cute little Honda Coupe from the 70's for sale at the dealership. Was going for $4500. Why are cars so huge these days? :p

Ruben and Barbara's loft in downtown San Diego. A very cool living space. The building was originally used for trucks exchanging cargo back in the day.

They adopted this adorable doberman, simply called D.

D and Barbara. He was so well behaved (actually Ruben was holding a treat on top of the camera).

It's nice meeting all these supposedly aggressive types of dogs (from media impressions) who turn out to be such soft-hearted puppies. The fact that they (pit bulls, dobermans, etc) are so loyal and smart can be used by malicious owners to make aggressive dogs, but owners with good intentions can let out the true happy nature of these dogs.

Barbara on her Honda CB200, warming her up for the day's ride. She usually rides with all the proper safety gear when she commutes. Ruben got the bike for $200 at a county fair and she required only a bit of work to be up and running.

Ruben and I setting off for Palomar Mountain Road with me riding the CB160. Check out the sweet scrambler pipes. The gas tanks are only 2 gallons on these little gals.

We met up with Silvano, Ruben's riding friend from Chicago who's from San Diego, riding a recently acquired Ducati 996 superbike. I was riding the CB160 for all she was worth on the highway (probably 70 mph) and then lost about half my power. As with most vintage bikes, they need a bit of care and can be expected to break down.

We first saw a cut in the fuel line leading into one of the carbs. The vinyl lines looked aged and it cracked at a stress point. Ruben said he would change over to modern rubber hoses.

But that didn't seem to fix it and she was still running on half power. We opened the float bowl and saw one of the main jets had worked itself lose.

Dumping the fuel back in.

A cool little tool box on CB160 and kick starter.

Ruben buttoned things up and we were soon on our way to Palomar. The Ducati was like big brother bringing up the rear and looking out for the two little bikes.

At the top of Palomar Mountain. Silvano is also into vintage bikes and let me ride his Ducati all day long as he wanted to play around on the CB160. One of my dream bikes and getting to rail with it on one of my dream roads. Perfect.

Taking a break at Mother's Kitchen at the top. The CB160 attracted a lot of attention from all the other riders there.

Lots of sport bikes were there and lots of Ducatis too. This is a 1098S and check out clutch cover delete.

A unique exhaust on another 1098S.

The two Hondas powering up the hill to the observatory.

Silvano rejoicing in making it to the top. I think the bike produced about 16 hp, but handled pretty good.

The Palomar Observatory housing the Hale Telescope, built in the 1940s was the largest telescope at the time and is the reason the twisty road was built up and over this little mountain for us to enjoy today. Edwin Hubble was given the honor of being the first astronomer to use the telescope and subsequently discoveries were made of quasars, stars in distant galaxies and asteroids close to home.

A scale model of the primary mirror, a single glass cast of 200" in diameter.

A scale model of the telescope. The pieces were built in New York and the large tube had be transported through the Panama Canal.

Getting a glimpse of the actual telescope. The mirror is in the bottom kitted out with adaptive optics to produce even sharper images of space.

We were at 5,500 ft of elevation and it was quite chilly. Since astronomers primarily do their telescope work at night (dark skies), it can get quite cold and in the early days they used to wear this rudimentary heated suit that military pilots used to wear. Now they have heated rooms.

A beautiful cloud-less day to be out riding.

A view of the south grade of Palomar Mountain Road.

The classics zipping by.

What a joy to ride this wonderful motorcycle on just the kind of roads it was designed for. It was a torture rack on the straight sections but felt just right hanging off in the corners.

And contrasted with these two little run-abouts - racers in their hey days.

I thoroughly enjoyed Palomar Mountain and happy to finally have ridden it. Thanks Silvano for letting me ride the wonderful Ducati 996.

Heading back to San Diego.

Making it back to the city. Ruben was happy both bikes rode well all day as this was their first long day. The CB160 is having a resurgence as a great vintage racer with a race series in Los Angeles. It might only have 16 hp, but once it gets going, it actually feels pretty good and handles well too.

The CB160 in comparison to my DR650.

The roof top at Ruben's place.

Enjoying a Dunkelweizen beer under the full moon.

Ruben and Barbara grilling out on the roof. Thanks for being such gracious hosts. You made my last few nights in the US really special.

Mmmm, steak and asparagus.

Now that's a meal after a good day's ride. Looking forward to the steaks in Argentina...

Playing with D one last time. Thanks for the wonderful stay Ruben and Barbara. Hope you guys find a nice place with a garage and a companion for D :)

I'm currently in Ajo, Arizona, planning to cross into Mexico tomorrow.

Jammin screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 08:04 AM