User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #1786
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
May 15, 2013

A video from my ride through the Western Ghats on the Goa-Bombay highway. I came across a bunch of biker groups out for a Sunday Ride

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #1787
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 16, 2013

My route across Central India. From Bombay I had an easy ride to Nashik on the 4-lane expressway that was 6 and 8 lanes at times. The climb up and over the ghats made for good riding and with sanDRina's carburetor tuned perfectly now, it was a joy to twist the throttle. Next stop, Indore and a few days later, Agra...

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #1788
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
Will you be passing through Vadodara sometime soon? I'll be there starting June 3rd..
Hey Mike, saw you message, sorry strapped for time. Wont be passing through Gujurat on this ride but since I'll be based in Delhi after this, I'll probably be coming thru. Have you heard of the Ran of Kutch - salt flats in western GJ? Let's ride it

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #1789
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
Insane Jay but quick moves on the car in the wrong lane!
BTW, B and I are back in IL, heading to Canada and a East Coast tour. I'll be on my Gs and she'll be on her F800R. Epic!
prince_ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #1790
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 16, 2013

It was a hot day's ride from Nashik to Indore with my on-board thermometer registering 47 C (117 F)! I sought some shelter from the sweltering sun under these shady trees and Shashank Parwar, here, emerged from his fields to take a look at this strange bike and its rider. When I saw the sickle in his hand, I asked if I could take his photo and he struck up this stylish pose. He was so well-mannered and polite, which I can't really say about those who are curious about sanDRina and me in urban areas. There's a lot to cherish about rural life...

Old 05-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #1791
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 18, 2013

My gear for really hot riding: boonie hat and TechNiche Cooling Vest ;) It's a nylon quilted vest that holds half a liter of water and when I'm moving, air flows through my Kevlar mesh jacket and evaporates the water on my core and cools it down. At 47 C (117 F) and low humidity, it lasts for about an hour or so and then I re-wet it. It provides chilling relief while riding through the oven that is India's peak summer in the center. Dreaming of shivering in the Himalayas soon...

Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #1792
bharath316
Madbull

Oddometer: 85
Nice...

Am starting on my solo trip on 26th. Chn-bangalore-goa-mumbai-kutch - Rajasthan - Delhi - Chandigarh.
From there will be heading to Leh with few other friends. I guess we'll catch up some where in the mountains. Will keep u posted.

When r u planning to reach Leh? R u doing it clockwise or anticlockwise circuit?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
06 Royal Enfield Thunderbird
bharath316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #1793
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I've ground two different lever slots wider. It works! Good idea to replace the pinch bolt once in a while. Eventually the Hardened Steel of the spline shaft will EAT UP the mating splines on the lever (softer), making them smooth. So, at some point a NEW LEVER is required.
I'm on my 3rd shift lever. (50,000 miles). The Moose Racing lever is no better than stock Suzuki one ... but maybe cheaper? (not sure)
I was in Bombay/Mumbai years ago. WoW! Sensory over load for a Gringo!

Ride Safe, have a blast!
Ahh, good to know it's a common fix. I think this is still the original shift lever. I carried a spare lever all the way from Chicago and finally left it in Chennai.
Yeah, riding in India is crazy mad and I've been swearing at traffic a lot more than in other countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
Insane Jay but quick moves on the car in the wrong lane!
BTW, B and I are back in IL, heading to Canada and a East Coast tour. I'll be on my Gs and she'll be on her F800R. Epic!
Yeah, Ruben, reflexes are seriously tested here
Nice! Enjoy the ride. Say hi to B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath316 View Post
Nice...
Am starting on my solo trip on 26th. Chn-bangalore-goa-mumbai-kutch - Rajasthan - Delhi - Chandigarh.
From there will be heading to Leh with few other friends. I guess we'll catch up some where in the mountains. Will keep u posted.
When r u planning to reach Leh? R u doing it clockwise or anticlockwise circuit?
Hey Bharath, looks like a nice trip coming up for you. Im planning to reach Leh on 30th and leave on the 4th to Kargil, so going counter clockwise into Kashmir and then down to Punjab.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #1794
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 19, 2013

The beautiful stone carvings at the Mahadev Temple at Khajuraho. The temples are famous for their erotic depictions but more than that, the stone craftsmanship is amazing. I spent some time just staring at the details that have been carved to capture mood and smiles and pleasure. The security guard became my guide and told me that the sexual imagery has many reasons. One is that the kings who commissioned these temples, a 1000 years ago, wanted to please Indra, the god of lightning. Another reason is that kama (pleasure) is one of the purusharthas, or goals of life in Hinduism, that include dharma (righteousness), artha (duty) and moksha (liberation). A more practical reason might be that fertility rates were decreasing across the region and the king wanted to encourage his populace to get the hint and procreate ;)

Old 05-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #1795
Toiretto
Getting into it!

Oddometer: 50
Woow, I loved this last picture of the stone carvings. Thank you for sharing! Keep posting please.
Toiretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #1796
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Talking Finally Seeing the Taj Mahal!

May 21, 2013

Woke up this morning in Agra and went for a walk along the Yamuna and there just happened to be this glowing white marble mausoleum... it's the Taj Mahal!! Yay, finally seeing this magnificent monument. After seeing so many grand monuments around the world, I saved the best for last So proud as an Indian that the Taj is such an impressive structure. It's been drawing the crowds for centuries to come and stand in awe of this expression of love from a king for his fallen wife.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #1797
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 23, 2013

Escaped the heat of the plains and rode up the foothills of the Himalayas to the beautifully-set Naini Lake. It's good to be at altitude once again and 2,000 m (6,560 ft) and above is where I feel most at home

I was riding around town, which is busy with summer tourists, and a biker came up to me and introduced himself as Akshay, a member of a superbike club in Delhi and promptly invited me to stay with him in his cozy flat. A fun evening walking through the markets and then having some beer and chicken tikka by the lake

Deeper into the mountains we go...

Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #1798
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 451
Thumb

Great stuff, what a wonderful journey!
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #1799
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 24, 2013

Sunrise at Rudraprayag where the Mandakini River joins up with the Alaknanda and together they flow down to form the Ganga after merging with the other three headstreams of this most sacred river in India. The rivers originate from glaciers further upstream and are still thick with their sediments.

It's good to be riding in the mountains, climbing up and down on small, narrow roads. Almost feels like I'm back in South America, particularly Bolivia and northern Peru, but of course, the towns are more frequent and busier

Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #1800
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Talking Milestone! 100,000 kms covered since Chicago

May 25, 2013

Milestone! sanDRina and I have covered a 100,000 kms since this journey began in Chicago 3 years and almost 3 months ago. For my Indian friends, that's 1 lakh kms and for my American and Brit friends, that's 62,150 miles. sanDRina doesn't have an odometer, so you're just going to have to trust my daily tallies from the trip meter in my GPS

I'm right back in my element as I meander the backroads of the Himalayan foothills, winding through river valleys and meeting the people that make their home here. A few more thousand kilometers left before the end in Delhi with some crazy high mountain passes coming up...