User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #256
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Thumb re: mayan village

very nice side trip and write up to the mayan village . They seem so happy living off the land, without all the complexity and burden of western culture.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #257
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker
very nice side trip and write up to the mayan village . They seem so happy living off the land, without all the complexity and burden of western culture.
Yup, keeping it simple. We have things to learn from the older cultures.

I'm an advocate for the Slow Movement and want to encourage people to simplify and slow things down. I especially like Slow Food

This trip is also helping me in disconnect from being plugged in and online all the time, yet I know how important it is to stay connected. Not having a cell phone is a strange feeling (especially after having worked in that industry), but I've already gotten used to it. I have an intl sim, but it's only for emergencies.

Passed through Nicaragua, stayed a night in Granada and am in Playa del Coco, Costa Rica, tonight. Staying with ADVer Chris, ex KTM racer. Into San Jose tomorrow to get visas for South American countries. Thought I could beat the rainy season, but it's already started.

Nica-Costa Rica border was the craziest for me so far, needed a helper at both ends. Lots of unmarked windows and stamps needed from here and there. Details to come in post.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #258
ksmdigital
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I like hearing about the people you've been meeting on your trip.
Thanks for sharing!
ksmdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #259
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmdigital
I like hearing about the people you've been meeting on your trip.
Thanks for sharing!
Yup, besides all the awesome scenery and roads, the interesting thing to me on this trip is to see how people's lives are different, yet the same

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #260
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Rain-induced Low Side

Had a small low side today coming into San Jose. Am fine, no injury, no big damage.

The rainy season has started and the new rains are bringing up all the oils on the road surface. Was riding through a steep, hilly section on the way to San Jose and the rain was falling quite heavily. Coming around a few hair pin corners I felt the rear tire spinning, sliding under throttle and told myself maybe I should lower air pressure a bit for the conditions, as I have them pretty high to increase tire life (33 psi F, 38 psi R), but kept on riding.

I came around a corner and saw a freshly lightning struck telephone pole splayed across the road. A tree was down on the road and I think it took down the telephone pole with wires across the road. A guy in a jeep behind me held up the wires and allowed me to get by. Pretty crazy and was thinking about that incident when I came around the next set of corners and saw a steep, tight right hand hair pin. I was already in 2nd gear and a brain fart of a moment - I felt I had to downshift even more to slow down for the corner. Shifted into first, the rear wheel locked and stepped out to the right, fish-tailed to the left and front tire went down with me down on the left side of the bike sliding backwards downhill.

The left highway peg took the brunt of the fall and my pannier got scrapped. I came to a stop within 10 ft, easily got up, made sure no injury to me and turned off the bike. My first thought was to grab a picture, but I put my camera inside the panniers for the rain and it was a steep section with traffic coming, so too unsafe to hang around. I tried to pick her up but she wasn't aligned properly for it. Another local biker stopped and helped me get her up. I collected my thoughts, had a good laugh about it and swore at myself. I checked the bike over and no other damage. I was worried the plastic Aqualine tank might have been scrapped through, but no worries, the road was so slick, there was no traction. I didnt even tear my rain jacket that I slid on. Started her up and we rode on.

I made it to San Jose and metup with Mischa, who works at La Moto, a motorcycle accessory shop. He quickly got my broken highway peg welded back on and am good to go. My left thumb is a bit sore, but nothing else is hurting.

Getting visas for South America tomorrow.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #261
silvy1200
n00b

Oddometer: 7
damn! glad you're ok, keep rolling through with your head up on this badass adventure!
silvy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #262
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
no harm no foul, glad your okay! Nothing like a shot of adrenaline.

side note, if you're heading east from San Jose to the coast towards Limon then south into Panama, there's a small isolated mayan village I spent a day at just south of Puerto Viejo/Manzanillo in Refugio Nacional Gandoca-Manzanillo. Main access to the village is via for-hire fishing boat from Manzanillo thru ancient Mayan canal passages all dug out by hand. Another place with a cool vibe and good memories, not to mention the caribbean breeze.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #263
BKawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Nice...

I'm sure that this will end up being the best two years of your life. Good luck on your journey. Looking forward to reading more. Glad you are OK after your fall. Close call.

Subscribed.
BKawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #264
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Hola Jay. Yeah that Putas Blancas crossing is a total PITA. I had detailed notes on how to navigate each side and it still took me 2 hours to get through everything.

When you cross into Panama, use the Rio Sereno crossing north of the Pan Americana, its totally chill, great scenic riding in some higher elevation, and you will probably be the only one there using the crossing. Highly recommended!!!!

When you pull into the Costa Rica town of Sabalito, stop at the gas station and ask how to get to Panama. You basically will go up the road less than half a mile, turn left on a dirt road. Ask the people you see walking along and they will point you in the right direction.

Yes, I believe that the wet season has started. Its been raining non-stop for over a week.

I'm in Panama City now and will be here about another week so if you want to met up for beers just shoot me PM.

Vince

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #265
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker
no harm no foul, glad your okay! Nothing like a shot of adrenaline.

side note, if you're heading east from San Jose to the coast towards Limon then south into Panama, there's a small isolated mayan village I spent a day at just south of Puerto Viejo/Manzanillo in Refugio Nacional Gandoca-Manzanillo. Main access to the village is via for-hire fishing boat from Manzanillo thru ancient Mayan canal passages all dug out by hand. Another place with a cool vibe and good memories, not to mention the caribbean breeze.
I love how things go into slo-mo when you're crashing I can slow down the 5 seconds of the crash into like a minute. Adrenaline, good stuff.

Cool, thanks for info, will look into it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKawa
I'm sure that this will end up being the best two years of your life. Good luck on your journey. Looking forward to reading more. Glad you are OK after your fall. Close call.

Subscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Hola Jay. Yeah that Putas Blancas crossing is a total PITA. I had detailed notes on how to navigate each side and it still took me 2 hours to get through everything.

When you cross into Panama, use the Rio Sereno crossing north of the Pan Americana, its totally chill, great scenic riding in some higher elevation, and you will probably be the only one there using the crossing. Highly recommended!!!!

When you pull into the Costa Rica town of Sabalito, stop at the gas station and ask how to get to Panama. You basically will go up the road less than half a mile, turn left on a dirt road. Ask the people you see walking along and they will point you in the right direction.

Yes, I believe that the wet season has started. Its been raining non-stop for over a week.

I'm in Panama City now and will be here about another week so if you want to met up for beers just shoot me PM.

Vince
Hola Vince, yeah, helper was worth it for that border.
Thanks for info on Rio Sereno. I'm thinking about doing the Sixola crossing...

I should be in P-city around next Thursday. I'll send you a pm.
cheers.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #266
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Got visas (Indian citizen) for Peru and Bolivia today and confirmed no visa needed for Ecuador. Colombia needed hotel reservations to make sure I'm following an itinerary, so trying again tomorrow and Venezuela is proving to be a bit more tricky.

I'll be in Panama by Monday and have a week before I need to catch my boat from Carti. Any recommendations on where to go and what to see? Is Boquete worth a stay? Any nice, remote beach towns or mountain towns? Am planning 2 days to head down to Yaviza and back. If rainy season has started, camping not really an option, right (where possible)?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #267
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Got my visa for Colombia, so South America, here I come
Will try for Venezuela visa in Cartagena.

Rode up to Volcan Irazu today at 11,000 ft. Nice craters, but not active. And good ride all the way down to sea level. Staying at Puerto Viejo, nice beach-side room for $10. Heading into Panama on Monday up to Boquete.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #268
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Crossed into Panama today at Sixaola, nice bridge crossing, no problema, took the left lane. Immigration made me get a $30 visa. $15 insurance required.

Thought the cross from the Caribbean to Pacific side would be much higher, but only went up to 4,000 ft. Staying near Boquete with CSer Ellen. Have a week to go until I set sail for Colombia!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #269
Mischa
Aventurero

Oddometer: 113
great to hear you made it ok...

www.advcr.net
Local Adv rider forum
Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #270
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischa
great to hear you made it ok...
Hey Mischa, thanks for the stay in San Jose and all your help with the bike and finding the embassies Crazy city with no street signs, but google earth and garmin to the rescue

I made it to Turrialba by 11 and the hotel I wanted to stay at was full, so went straight to Puerto Viejo. No rain that day but crazy thunderstorms the next morning.

Got a flat rear tire coming to the CouchSurfer's house I'm staying at near Boquete. Found a small pin prick hole in the tire and corresponding hole in my heavy duty tube. Didnt find a nail or a thorn and was surprised that heavy duty tube got punctured like that. Fixed it up with a patch and it's holding well. I have a spare rear tube but saving that for when a blow out happens of this tube.

Heading to the town of Chitre on the Gulf of Panama today.